I came across this today while doing some extra reading about the PETA vs Sea World thing and I thought it was an interesting idea.

http://works.bepress.com/david_favre/1/

Full article here (it's 51 pages)

I've always been a pretty big supporter of animal rights and protections so I would be in favor of something like this. While I don't think animals should have all the rights that human beings do, since they lack the judgement and responsibility to properly exercise them, I do think they deserve a redefined legal status to give them more protection from some of the scummy people that inhabit this planet. I speak only about the more intelligent and sentient animals, though.

What do you think about redefining their status in our legal system(s) to give them limited rights?
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by StewieSwan
I came across this today while doing some extra reading about the PETA vs Sea World thing and I thought it was an interesting idea.

http://works.bepress.com/david_favre/1/

Full article here (it's 51 pages)

I've always been a pretty big supporter of animal rights and protections so I would be in favor of something like this. While I don't think animals should have all the rights that human beings do, since they lack the judgement and responsibility to properly exercise them, I do think they deserve a redefined legal status to give them more protection from some of the scummy people that inhabit this planet. I speak only about the more intelligent and sentient animals, though.
What do you think about redefining their status in our legal system(s) to give them limited rights?

But vegetated humans are still allowed rights?
I think that giving inferior beings special treatment is why we're going to die out as a race. There is no place for compassion in natural selection.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Quote by Zoot Allures
But vegetated humans are still allowed rights?

I'll probably get some shit for this, but I would classify vegetated people as deceased.
Quote by Firenze
I think that giving inferior beings special treatment is why we're going to die out as a race. There is no place for compassion in natural selection.

What are they gonna do? Rebel? Ha! I'd like to see them try.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Firenze

Neither is there for corrective eyewear or penicillin, but we've been doing alright with those for a pretty long time.
Today I feel electric grey
I hope tomorrow, neon black
Quote by StewieSwan
I'll probably get some shit for this, but I would classify vegetated people as deceased.

ggg1 ggg3

Quote by Kensai

When the dolphin overlords run the world, it will be your fault.
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
yeah was weird cause she liked us both but she loved him and for some reason she let me know beforehand.

i just wanted her poon and she wanted me to have her poon.

so i had myself some poon.
Quote by Firenze

Compassion has allowed us to thrive as a species.
Quote by Ganoosh
Neither is there for corrective eyewear or penicillin, but we've been doing alright with those for a pretty long time.

Crutches, man. First you go soft in the medical care, next you go soft in the head.
Catch me,
heal me,
I choose to live
Quote by Kensai

That's what they all say...
I think it's time for a change.

Sig v5.0 (approximate)
Quote by Zoot Allures
How about really retarded people then? Like, need to be looked after a lot, like a baby kind of.

Juggalos deserve just as many rights as we do.
Quote by due 07
Compassion has allowed us to thrive as a species.

Oh, compassion. I had mistakenly assumed fucking.
Catch me,
heal me,
I choose to live
Quote by StewieSwan

Debatable.
Quote by StewieSwan

WINNING!!!
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
yeah was weird cause she liked us both but she loved him and for some reason she let me know beforehand.

Quote by StewieSwan

eh.

Portugese Boy has the right idea!
Quote by denfilade
For a moment I thought velcro shoes were ones with the whole bottom made of velcro

She could walk up your pubes with those

Quote by kannon
this post has aids
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman
and 07'ers will always be well-respected members of UG society.
Quote by Portuguese_boy
I think we should take women's rights and give them to the animals.

Like it'd make a difference
I think it's time for a change.

Sig v5.0 (approximate)
PETA needs to go die in a hole.

End of story.

along with this David Farve guy.

[second strike against david,
His name is too close to Farva and we hsould all know who Farva is.]
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
Quote by Deadlock Riff

End of story.

Actually, you're wrong.
Quote by StewieSwan
Actually, you're wrong.

Opinions have no right or wrong factor. >_>

Do they not?
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
Quote by Deadlock Riff

End of story.

It's awfully handy to have PETA exist as a whipping boy but that shouldn't allow anyone to dismiss questions over the relationship between people and animals.

The issue is more nuanced than anyone may initially think. Take rabbits. Rabbits are one of the most popular pets in the UK. (Yes, the UK, not the US, but I'd be surprised if what I say here doesn't apply to the US.) They're supposed to be easy to keep and look after, and good pets with children.

Imagine a pet rabbit though. Now imagine a wild rabbit. The difference is drastic. A wild rabbit is a very active animal, very quick little things. However pet rabbits often spend most of their lives in a cage. The idea that you can just raise a rabbit by raising it in a cage for most of its life is daft. Rabbits don't like being stuck in a confined space, much like people do. A recent study has suggested that 75% of rabbits are maltreated. They are not raised in conditions which may satisfy basic psychological needs for them. Much like how people need interaction and exercise, and how it's a basic need for the overall health, rabbits do too but don't often receive it.

So what begins as a seemingly innocent experience of raising up an easy pet is actually more difficult than you might originally think. If rabbits are to be under domestic care, we should be responsible for their well being. With some animals putting them under domestic care isn't good for them at all, and should be avoided in the best of circumstances.

You can dismiss PETA all you want but questions over responsibilities we have over animals still remain.
Quote by Craigo
It's awfully handy to have PETA exist as a whipping boy but that shouldn't allow anyone to dismiss questions over the relationship between people and animals.

The issue is more nuanced than anyone may initially think. Take rabbits. Rabbits are one of the most popular pets in the UK. (Yes, the UK, not the US, but I'd be surprised if what I say here doesn't apply to the US.) They're supposed to be easy to keep and look after, and good pets with children.

Imagine a pet rabbit though. Now imagine a wild rabbit. The difference is drastic. A wild rabbit is a very active animal, very quick little things. However pet rabbits often spend most of their lives in a cage. The idea that you can just raise a rabbit by raising it in a cage for most of its life is daft. Rabbits don't like being stuck in a confined space, much like people do. A recent study has suggested that 75% of rabbits are maltreated. They are not raised in conditions which may satisfy basic psychological needs for them. Much like how people need interaction and exercise, and how it's a basic need for the overall health, rabbits do too but don't often receive it.

So what begins as a seemingly innocent experience of raising up an easy pet is actually more difficult than you might originally think. If rabbits are to be under domestic care, we should be responsible for their well being. With some animals putting them under domestic care isn't good for them at all, and should be avoided in the best of circumstances.

You can dismiss PETA all you want but questions over responsibilities we have over animals still remain.

I'm interested to hear what you think about the article or just the concept in general.
Quote by StewieSwan
I'm interested to hear what you think about the article or just the concept in general.

In practice I'd imagine it'd be awful difficult. A lot of legislation would have to be passed subject to individual groups of animal's needs. It'd also require judges to have an understanding over a range of different animal groups. It'd probably be easier to prohibit outright certain actions. But I'm really not sure, I'm not in an educated position to have well informed thoughts in law. However the relationship between people and animals definitely needs to be continually considered, and the idea of animals having legal rights definitely runs on that trend, so it's worth having the opinion out there.
Quote by Craigo

I agree with a ton of what you have said. However, what PeTA belives in and stands for, and what most PeTA supporters think PeTA stands for and believes in are 2 drastically different things. Ingrid Newkirk is fairly close to being a sociopath.
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz

Quote by StewieSwan

There are different classifications of vegetative states. I've seen someone recover from pvs (persistent vegetative state) before, but it can take months or years to make tiny steps of progress.