Hey iv been playing guitar for about 6 years now and only started playing metal and shredding about a year and a bit ago. I can play speed picking pretty good standard i can play trivium / avenged solos with a bit of practice.

My mate who also plays said i hold the pick wrong does this matter if it is comfortable to me and i am making progress? Iv heard of good players holding it weird and being insane.

I bend my thumb back instead of in a circle shape with my index finger. Hard to really explain in words.

Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks
Quote by jrideout
Hey iv been playing guitar for about 6 years now and only started playing metal and shredding about a year and a bit ago. I can play speed picking pretty good standard i can play trivium / avenged solos with a bit of practice.

My mate who also plays said i hold the pick wrong does this matter if it is comfortable to me and i am making progress? Iv heard of good players holding it weird and being insane.

I bend my thumb back instead of in a circle shape with my index finger. Hard to really explain in words.

Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks

Synyster Gates, holds it similar to how your describing, as long as there is no strain or painful motions it makes no difference what so ever on ability. It will slightly affect tone and sounds, but EVERYONE plays different and holds it differently, there is no "right" way to hold a pic. Just do what you feel comfortable doing.
Gear
-Shecter Omen 6 Extreme
-Yamaha JX20SC Acoustic
-Roland : Cube 80x
Wishlist
-Mbox recording hardware
-Fender Stratocaster (American Standard)
-Boss Overdrive pedal
I use to hold mine with my thumb, index and middle finger. Now I hold it the right way. I didn't force myself to hold it like I do now it just happened naturally...
Quote by DarkLiquor
I like you. Compassionate and strong. Glad theres people like you.

"What is the best kind of slave to have? One who does not realize they are a slave"
Wake up people!
Hey man cheers for your reply,

Yeah but i dont do the thing where i rest my fingers on the bit under the high e string so i dont know if that will effect my stability and accuracy with advanced stuff. But at the moment i can roughly play most stuff just working on making it sound tighter and feel more fluid.
Quote by moose1512
EVERYONE plays different and holds it differently, there is no "right" way to hold a pic. Just do what you feel comfortable doing.

Oh that's cool, if it's all about comfort we might as well just fire all the teachers in the world and shut down this forum then...

Arsehole-ery aside, you're right and at the same time not. It is true that many different people have many different ways of holding the pick but if you look at the world's greatest pickers and the way the human body is built there are a few pretty common threads that you should stick to.

There is no one definable right way in the strictest sense of that phrase but there are sure as hell a whole load of wrong ways. I have in the past written a pretty sizable paragraph about the things you should do when holding the pick and if you really want I'll write it up again.

Quote by jrideout
Hey man cheers for your reply,

Yeah but i dont do the thing where i rest my fingers on the bit under the high e string so i dont know if that will effect my stability and accuracy with advanced stuff. But at the moment i can roughly play most stuff just working on making it sound tighter and feel more fluid.

That's good, you don't want to attach yourself to any part of the guitar in such a way that is causes extra tension in your hand or arm.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.