Page 1 of 4
^ This guy wants to do a guitar battle with me at the next talent show, and I am just what I'd still consider a beginner, and at the moment have not bothered to learn shred. I don't really know what to do that would even match this guy.

Everyone at the school says he's amazing and that I'm gonna get wrecked. He's constantly posting videos of him "shredding" on Facebook and really, I just feel pressured.

What the hell am I supposed to do? He kinda wants it to happen, and so does the world. I guess I can't say no.

Of course, what the hell am I supposed to do to match shredding? I barely even gotten to learn lead yet

I'm freakin' dead

EDIT: Why did you accept the challenge?
ggg1 ggg3

Last edited by behind_you at Oct 31, 2011,
Quote by SkepsisMetal
So he's as good as Syn?

I'll tell you what you do. You win.

Sounds easy enough, but aren't these things judged by audience applause?
High schoolers love them some shitty sounding sweeps.
Acknowledge that he is a better guitarist than you and don't compete. There's no point trying to prove that you're better when you're not. Guitar duels are so damn lame.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
He sounds like an attention ***** to me, trying to have a "battle" with a beginner. A7X isnt even that impressive to play, unless you're a non-guitarist. Just decline, and say that its a stupid idea
tell him your an artist not and athlete and music isnt a competition

then play music with some soul(blues) and then **** his gf or mother whichever would hurt him more

or you know you could grow up
break his fingers TS, thats what I would do.
Thor! Odin's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Your destiny awaits Thor! Hlödyn's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Ragnarök awaits

E-ARCH NEMESIS of girlgerms007
Play some Jeff Beck if you can. You win by default.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: A bunch of forced listening by my composition teacher... some great stuff by Bach, Haydn, Mozart, Schubert, Liszt...

GTA V! ... the 120th game of the franchise.
Quote by Mean Mr Mustard
He sounds like an attention ***** to me, trying to have a "battle" with a beginner. A7X isnt even that impressive to play, unless you're a non-guitarist. Just decline, and say that its a stupid idea

This. Sounds like he's just trying to solidify the opinion that he is amazing (which, from what I've heard so far, isn't true, because I've never seen an amazing douchebag before).

Quote by palm mute
Make it an acoustic guitar battle.

This.

"YEAH LET'S DO IT!"

Then hand him an acoustic guitar.
Last edited by triface at Oct 31, 2011,
Quote by DonGlover
Acknowledge that he is a better guitarist than you and don't compete. There's no point trying to prove that you're better when you're not. Guitar duels are so damn lame.

This, unless you're both really damn good guitarists, and it's not to actually prove anything. Like Vai or Satriani level. Then it's awesome.
Back out, acknowledge his superiority, and swallow your pride. It'll save you much embarrassment.
Sabotage his amp, so when he goes to play, no sound comes out. The he looks like a fool
Gear:

Schecter Omen-6
Custom-built explorer (my first build)
Schecter Damian-6
Two strat copies
Home-made PitBull Guitars Flying V
Blackstar HT-1RH
Blackstar HT-Metal
Dunlop KH95 Wah
Guitar duels are lame as shit, bro. Don't do it.
Check out my band Disturbed
Break His Fingers Ts!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thor! Odin's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Your destiny awaits Thor! Hlödyn's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Ragnarök awaits

E-ARCH NEMESIS of girlgerms007
guitar "battles" are only good when there are 2 amazing people playing. when that happens, they make a pretty awesome song. this, on the other hand, sounds like this "A7X" shredder sounds like a douche. i bet half of the people on this site could outplay him and that he probably has a low self esteem to challenge a beginner. when you go up on stage, do the world a favor and hit your guitar over his head.
Quote by stonedhippos
guitar "battles" are only good when there are 2 amazing people playing. when that happens, they make a pretty awesome song. this, on the other hand, sounds like this "A7X" shredder sounds like a douche. i bet half of the people on this site could outplay him and that he probably has a low self esteem to challenge a beginner. when you go up on stage, do the world a favor and hit your guitar over his head.

Half the people on these forums could outplay "Synyster Gates". Everybody on these forums could probably outplay this kid.
FLYERS GONNA FLY
Philadelphia Flyers: 47-26-9
I say go for the comedy angle.

Get him to play first and then when it's your turn, emerge from back stage wearing a cape and make up, dry ice, the works. Then play poorly and get really into it.

He'll win but he'll look like a douche who took it too seriously.
play smoke on the water
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
Quote by TEK34
Tappedy tap tap tap.

This. Play stuff that sounds awesome but is easy. Tapping. Legato. Whammy tricks. Sliding/pick scrapes. All those little tricks
Also try some licks that will get your audience.
Sweet Child O' Mine. Smoke on the water. Smells like teen spirit.

If you can't play those, you really aren't ready for playing on stage. Unless you wanna Jam some acoustic shit out.

The fact that he is A7X-esque(Despite being a fan) indicates to me that's he's a poser-fag, so don't worry too much.

Quote by cgmetallica1981
Half the people on these forums could outplay "Synyster Gates". Everybody on these forums could probably outplay this kid.

What about user : SynG8sFTW777?
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Last edited by Nameless742 at Oct 31, 2011,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hciqch3s9ag&feature=relmfu

If you can't do this, stop playing The video is called Things To Play When You Suck, so...

If you can't play notes, THEN MAKE NOISES.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGp1aEvW3u4

Van Halen type harmonics, JUST DO IT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRxzL4Rd24U

Impress some bitches with HERMAN RI SOUND EFFECTS.

Alternatively, buy a shit ton of effect pedals and make even more noises. Install a kill switch for **** yeah effect.
Last edited by SatoshiS at Oct 31, 2011,
Page 1 of 4