Ok so this is the first time I've posted a thread on ultimate guitar forums here goes :p.

I'm probably going to get a new bass guitar for Christmas and I was wondering what you guys would recommend me.
My budget is $800-$900
My current (and first bass) is a Washburn XB100. It's a good bass but I want something new with a better sound.

I was looking into a Schecter Diamond P bass (4 String) http://schecterguitars.com/International/Products/Bass/Diamond-P-Custom-4.aspx
It sounds great and has a great look to it (I would probably get it in white). Although

However after today (the day I have my bass lessons) my teacher let me play his bass and it sounded GREAT it was a Washburn Taurus 24 with nickel tape wound strings (which were black and made it look awesome, they weren't factory strings). http://www.washburn.com/basses/taurus-series/#t14

The only thing I didn't like about the Washburn t24 was the way it looked, the wooden look isn't for me, nor the fret markings being on the left. although it does have 24 frets which is fun to play around with :p

EDIT: I've been told that ESP bass guitars might suit the sound I'm looking for and after doing some research if I were to get an ESP it would be an ESP Maple Surveyor or Rosewood Surveyor it may be a 5 string depending on the price. The only thing I dislike is the colour and the fret marking on the 1st fret :S.
http://www.espguitars.com/basses/ltd-standard-deluxe/surveyor-series.html

Anyway The sort of sound I like is on the verge of metal with a rock sound to it (Avenged Sevenfold, Breaking Benjamin, Iron Maiden. When I play I'm almost always tuned to Drop D).
None of that jazz or blues stuff, I don't slap either so that can be taken out of the equation too. I consider myself a pretty good player, I've been playing since 2009.

I have a Fender Rumble 30 bass amp and a BOSS ME-20B if that effects anything drastically.

ANYWAY
If you guys on Ultimate Guitar think there would be a far better bass for my playing style within or near my budget I would greatly appreciate some input from you.
Last edited by Rule Britannia at Nov 1, 2011,
isn't the taurus a lot cheaper than 800?

i mean how much does it cost for you?
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Quote by Sudaka
isn't the taurus a lot cheaper than 800?

i mean how much does it cost for you?

In Canada it costs about $800 which is the same price as the schecter diamond P Bass.
Quote by Spaz91
Look at Fender and Ibanez before you buy anything.

The Schecter blows those other two basses out of the water, by the way.

Fender is out of my budget and I don't want to buy squier. However if I were to get a Fender I would get a Deluxe Jaguar

Also, What do you mean by 'Schecter blows those other two basses out of the water?"
Quote by Rule Britannia
Fender is out of my budget and I don't want to buy squier. However if I were to get a Fender I would get a Deluxe Jaguar

Also, What do you mean by 'Schecter blows those other two basses out of the water?"

The Squier Vintage Modified or Classic Vibe basses can beat some of the MiM Fenders (just saying)
Bass gear:
-Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass
-Fender Rumble 15 Amp

Guitar Gear:
-Agile AL-2000
-Boss Tu-3 Tuner -> Joyo Vintage Overdrive -> Joyo Vintage Ultimate Overdrive -> Ernie Ball MVP -> TC Nova Repeater
Easy. Used Fender Marcus Miller Jazz Bass.

EDIT: There's a Jag on TalkBass at the moment for $500ish, go have a look for it.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Last edited by consecutive e at Nov 1, 2011,
Quote by askrere
To be that guy, what amp are you playing with?

Fender Rumble 30, I don't know any technical information about the amp, all i know is it sounds ok. I do have a Boss ME-20B bass pedal.
I wouldn't spend $900 on a bass to play it through a $60 amp, but that's just me. Any desire to gig? or play with others?
Geta new amp. It will do more for your tone than a new bass ever will.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Are you UK based? Just bought a used/mint Made in USA Fender Jazz for £450 well within your budget. Plays well, sounds great.
Quote by Phil Starr
Are you UK based? Just bought a used/mint Made in USA Fender Jazz for £450 well within your budget. Plays well, sounds great.

From UK but I live in Canada. I would love to find a USA made Fender bass for that cheap though. Is it pre owned? If not that's the best deal in history