Egnater Tweaker 40
8 24%
Blackstar Stage 60
4 12%
Vox Night Train 50 stack
3 9%
Voters: 33.
Hey GG&A!

I've been going crazy over the number of amps that I have to choose from. I know that people will say:

"Go try them out first before you buy", but most of the amps that I'm interested in aren't available to me in the shops nearby or on craigslist.

So, I'm just looking for some help in finding what I PROBABLY should be looking at.

Budget: Anything from $500-$1200.

Genres: Rock n' Roll, Blues, Psychedelic Rock, dirty Country, Hard Rock, Stoner Rock. Led Zeppelin's first album is kind of the sound I'm looking for. I also play a lot of The Yardbirds, Cream, The Rolling Stones, The Velvet Underground, The Kinks, The Beatles, Rory Gallagher/Taste.

New or Used: Doesn't really matter. I'll probably go the used route for more expensive amps if they can be found on craigslist.

Home or Gig: I WILL be gigging. I finally got a band together, and we're currently rehearsing for some shows. The amp should be PORTABLE, it doesn't matter if it's a head or a combo, just as long as it doesn't weigh so much that I won't be able to pick it up the combo/cabinet on my own.

Closest City: I live in Surrey, British Columbia, Canada. The closest "big" city near me is Vancouver.

Current Gear: Fender Highway One strat, Gretsch 5120, 1973 Japanese Jedson Les Paul with DiMarzio PAF's. Amp-Vox AD50VT. Pedals-MJM Brit Bender Tonebender clone, Boss Blues Driver, early 90's Vox v847.

What I Need: An amp that takes pedals well, has a good amount of headroom, can be gigged with, is somewhat versatile in old rock/blues sounds, is portable, and is durable.
Peavey classic 30. Takes pedals extremely well and is a very versatile, well-rounded tube amp. Great for blues/rock, classic rock and many other genres. It will perfectly fit what you describe and will be well within your budget.

I find 30W to be enough but if you want more output, then you could opt for the 50W depending on the gig venue/preference. Try it out!
Quote by ChrisBW
Orange Dual Terror.

I'm not too sure on this one...with all the vids I've seen it sounds like a darker amp. I would want to use my fuzz (which is already darker sounding with humbuckers), and it might just turn into mud.
Jcm 900
Caparison Angelus HGS, EMG 85/85 18V | Krank Rev1, JJ's | Mesa Recto Cab | Maxon OD808
I'd go for the Vox, although that's the only amp you listed that I've actually played through, so there might be better options.
Quote by rickyj
this is ug, therefore, 6505+.

WHOA, that amp looks totes KILLER, bro! \m/ \m/ BR00TZ 4 EVAR!

(but, uh, seriously, thanks for the comic relief. Good stuff! )
Last edited by RGallagherFan at Oct 31, 2011,
I'd try for the Bugera, but I think the JCM900 is a great amp as well. If you want to narrow down your list a bit, think about weather you want Class A or B or A/B circuitry, and about weather you want an American or British sound.
language
jazyk
kieli
язык
العربية

My Tumblr: Lots of artist recommendations, album reviews, and ideas about music (as well as some film and bike stuff).

Go Sharks! Go Wings! Go Flyers! Go Kings!
I would actually Suggest a Fender Hot Rod. That is I what I have and I have gotten a nice bluesy or classic rock sound out of it. Me personally I use it for indie rock and folk, but I find it takes my pedals very well! My 2 cents.....
Quote by RGallagherFan
I'm not too sure on this one...with all the vids I've seen it sounds like a darker amp. I would want to use my fuzz (which is already darker sounding with humbuckers), and it might just turn into mud.

It was a Halloween jab. Orange... Terror... haha..? ...anyone? I guess not

Out of the options though, I'd go with either the Tweaker, AC30 or JCM. At some point you have to make the decision on what you personally like better, but those are the 3 I would start with.
Quote by ChrisBW
It was a Halloween jab. Orange... Terror... haha..? ...anyone? I guess not

Out of the options though, I'd go with either the Tweaker, AC30 or JCM. At some point you have to make the decision on what you personally like better, but those are the 3 I would start with.

ha ha ha thanks, I'll see what I can do.
^+1 from what I've heard

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Orange Rocker 15
Marshall Class 5C
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
Yamaha THR10
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
LTD Viper 500 with Duncans
blues junior. i have a strat and a 5120 myself and i love them all to death
Gretsch 5120
Fender Jazzmaster
MIM Fender Strat
Fender Blues Junior
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
Misc Pedals
JTM45 or Bassman. or a 18watt clone/varient would be my pick.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by RGallagherFan
Hey GG&A!

I've been going crazy over the number of amps that I have to choose from. I know that people will say:

"Go try them out first before you buy", but most of the amps that I'm interested in aren't available to me in the shops nearby or on craigslist.

What are you on about?

Get on the skytrain, go down the main street. It's 25 minutes from Surrey Central. 1 block from there is a Long and Mcquade with 90% of those amps in stock at all times. Go there... Play them..
Led Zep's first album was an old Supro. Which one it was is the subject of much debate. I don't think even Jimmy knows, he had something like 50 different Valco amps (Supro was a Valco amp).
I'd go for a JTM45 clone or some other Marshall Plexi clone. Heaps of them out there.
To get a satisfactory tone out of a JCM900 you'd have to mod it and run it loud enough to cause an earthquake. Doing that could get you somewhere near it but a JTM45 clone cranked up will still destroy it. A JTM45 clone is definitely what I'd be looking for 'twer I you.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Out of those the AC30 would do what you want. If you want to get a tone heavier than classic rock you're going to need a distortion pedal though.
West Ham United
Quote by icronic
What are you on about?

Get on the skytrain, go down the main street. It's 25 minutes from Surrey Central. 1 block from there is a Long and Mcquade with 90% of those amps in stock at all times. Go there... Play them..

I frequently go to the Surrey L&M, and they have none but the AC30C2 (which is a beat up rental) and the Fender Super-Sonic 60 in stock.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
wow

those are all real 'interesting' suggestions so far

seriously - get an Egnater Renegade

This. Followed by either the bassman or the AC30.
RIP Gooze

cats
...so...much....fail....it...burns....

You're in Canada. Look into Traynors. You're welcome.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by mulefish
This. Followed by either the bassman or the AC30.

crazy cat guy has good opinion yet again.
Quote by RGallagherFan
I frequently go to the Surrey L&M, and they have none but the AC30C2 (which is a beat up rental) and the Fender Super-Sonic 60 in stock.

No I mean the one that's on 1st ave/Main Street. Right on the outskirts of Vancouver. Short skytrain ride from Surrey and they have tons of amps there.

R&R music on Scott Road also has a pretty good selection of amps that L&M might not have. Buddah, Orange, Peavey, Laney and a few others. Mostly more expensive stuff.

Tapestry in White Rock also has a good selection. Mostly botique stuff like Splawn, Blackstar, Fryette, Goodsell 65 amps and so forth, but I think there might be a couple in your price range.

There is absolutely no substitute for trying an amp out. I love listening to good blues players playing a fender amp, but put me on a fender amp and cover your ears.

Anyway, to add to your list...

Traynor. Personally I hate them, but I've heard people get great sounds out of them, and the price is absolutely right.

Dr Z. You could probably find a used Maz 18/38 on cragslist within your price. They have more headroom than you expect, and can be cleaned up easily by rolling off the volume and playing lighter. Kind of a cross between vox fender and marshall. But do yourself a favor and get the one without the reverb.

Mesa Lonestar.. You'll see the LS Special for $1200 and under used, but you'll also occasionally see the Classic for that price as well. I bought the Classic Head for $1300.

On a side note... I'm selling my Bassman