I have a Marshall JCM2000 TSL100 and Gibson Les Paul Studio Silverburst and I have horrible tone on all 3 channels and I want Metal tone on my Lead channel and Jimmy Page tone on the other two any tips?
What is the channel volume and Master volume set at? If it is too low everything will sound fizzy.

Also, generally classic rock tones have more of an overdrive sound than a modern distorted sound. More mids, more treble. Very clean and defined.

Metal stuff, especially sound more scooped and have more gain, with the bass and treble boosted, with the mids about half way for scooped out. Very compressed and darker sounding.

You just have to mess around. The JVM is one of those amps where you need to tweak it to get something usable. It's not like, say, a JCM 800 where you plug in and it is that instant Marshall tone.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
please don't scoop your mids.

edit: ^^^ Unregistered User!
Last edited by rickyj at Oct 31, 2011,
There isn't a master volume just individual channel volumes and yeah the volume is pretty low but still I want better tone when it is loud because I gig with it and it's extremely loud for my neighborhood haha
Cut back on the gain, most metal tones don't use as much gain as you would think.
Caparison Angelus HGS, EMG 85/85 18V | Krank Rev1, JJ's | Mesa Recto Cab | Maxon OD808
For my Lead channel I want an August Burns Red type tone even though I know they don't use Marshalls
Any idea what year your amp was made?
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
Quote by Child_Of_METAL
For my Lead channel I want an August Burns Red type tone even though I know they don't use Marshalls

You need an overdrive pedal as a boost for that.
Caparison Angelus HGS, EMG 85/85 18V | Krank Rev1, JJ's | Mesa Recto Cab | Maxon OD808
Quote by Child_Of_METAL
I'm thinking it's around '03-'05

I recall there being a few issues with the mainboard and/or the bias board on that amp. If you're into electronics and the inner workings of the amp at all check this (http://www.lynx.bc.ca/~jc/TSL122.html) out. Because of the issue, some of the older amps didn't sound quite Marshall-ey.

If the tips in this thread give you a good sound out of the amp, I wouldn't worry. But if it turns out the amp is problematic, it might take some repair work to get it going 100%.

If it's replacement parts that you need, I'd suggest you work with US Music Corp (1-800-877-6863) to order them.

I don't mean to get you concerned, but I've gone through a bit of trouble getting my TSL 122 working right. If the amp is problematic, I hope this info helps But yeah, try the other suggestions in this thread before worrying about a faulty amp. It could very well be settings related!
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Bugera V-5
The DS-1 wont do you any favours.
Yeah I have the exact same amp and thank you. If none of these things work I'll see if that's what is happening.
Not off the top of my head, I've been using my little Bugera since I'm not at home. But I'd suggest hitting the "VPR" switch to drop it down to 25 watts or so. That should make it a little more manageable at lower volumes. From there, keep the gain around 12:00 (straight up and down) and tweak volume on each channel until they sound better.

Good luck!
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Bugera V-5
Quote by stonyman65
What is the channel volume and Master volume set at? If it is too low everything will sound fizzy.

Also, generally classic rock tones have more of an overdrive sound than a modern distorted sound. More mids, more treble. Very clean and defined.

Metal stuff, especially sound more scooped and have more gain, with the bass and treble boosted, with the mids about half way for scooped out. Very compressed and darker sounding.

You just have to mess around. The JVM is one of those amps where you need to tweak it to get something usable. It's not like, say, a JCM 800 where you plug in and it is that instant Marshall tone.

You're really wrong here, most shitty metal tones have the mids scooped but anything done by a reputable producer will have the mids cranked. IE Sneap.
Cut your gain back a lot. That's what's making it sound muddy/fizzy. If you feel it's not giving you enough gain (Which it may not for modern metal tones), then by all means go pick up a tubescreamer or similar overdrive to run in front of the lead channel as a boost. A tubescreamer will also help colour and tighten up your tone a bit.
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
Turn your gain down, buy a Boss SD-1. If you don't have one, also get an EQ of some sort. I like the Boss GE-7, most people like the MXR stuff.

Also keep in mind that it may just not be the amp for you. I know that I personally wouldn't touch any sort of Marshall for that type of tone. That's 6505/5150 tone. Marshall aint gonna give you that.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
its pretty much been covered but just for reassurance:

-Drop the gain. On a tube amp I can't really see the use of having the gain at more than 2:00 on a multi channel amp.
-Let the EQ do the the tone shapping. I can't speak for a Page-esque tone but for metal leave the mids slightly boosted, turn the treble high enough so that your tone is defined and then adjust the bass to taste, being sure not to let the tone get muddy. Depending on where the mids on your amp are centered, boost the mids if you need more punch to your sound.