Hey guys!!

I believe I am in the baritone/tenor side for my voice if anything...... but for the style of music I play is similar to styles of Asking Alexandria and Attack Attack and We Came As Romans, I can scream and such (learning to growl and do lows)

I was figuring how to figure out or get a high and very clean precise vocal voice when they sing like these bands do, I can sing fairly and I been practicing and such but it isn't the greatest luck for having a similar tone.. I am really determined and stuff to try and attempt it though beside my voice range i mentioned earlier, I was wondering if someone could help me out; I have been having trouble getting my voice high or more precise to sound more melodic in that sense of music style if anyone can give me advice or figure out a way for me to achieve this I would be thankful for any type of advice.

example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7Fi8-7HRhc

any type of similarity or variation of help, I just turned 18 so I wouldn't know if age has too much effect for me..
Last edited by Winter Skyes at Oct 31, 2011,
Winter,
Something to keep in mind with the bands you mentioned is that they truly can barely sing. These bands rely heavily on good production to sound good. In some parts you can hear the autotune cranking on their vocals. It would not surprise me to find out they they also do some tone shaping to get their voices to sound higher.

Trying to replicate them will be difficult when they have so much technology on their side.

As an aside, I saw Asking Alexandria in Ohio when they played with ATR. The lead singer sucked some majorness on his clean singing.

Now with that said, if you wish to sing like this there are a couple of things you can do to improve:
1. Learn to sing through your nose. These guys all originate from punk. Bands like New Found Glory, Story of the Year and the like. Singing with your nose is a staple of the genre. Just pretend like you have a cold when you sing and you'll get the feeling.

2. Train your head voice. These fellows don't try to bring power to the table. They mostly just want the high tone. They get the airiness from the lighter registration of their upper range.

3. Learn proper breath support. Plenty of good youtube videos to help you there

4. Don't strain but thats a given.

Work on these things and, if you are indeed a borderline tenor, this should be no problem to emulate them to some degree. Just remember how computerized their music is and keep that in mind.
And the above (1 & 2) is exactly why I DON'T care for punk style singing.

Any vocal teacher unfamiliar with intentionally trying to sound that way when singing would probably /facepalm and shake their head.
Quote by merriman44
^^ Completely true. I attempted to keep the utter disdain I have for these types of bands out of my instructive post. The fact is that these guys can't hold a candle to most groups, hence why they must lean on production so hard.

But to each his own.

I agree with most of those except for "We Came As Romans". They are actually a legit band and the singer (from what I've seen on youtube) can actually hold his own live. Although he's not amazing, he's good. The entire band is solid and their songs are quite a bit more original than most metalcore.

EDIT:
just watched a good quality live performance of them. take back what i said about the singer. rest of the band was solid though.
Last edited by BloodReverence at Nov 3, 2011,
Quote by Winter Skyes
Hey guys!!

I believe I am in the baritone/tenor side for my voice if anything...... but for the style of music I play is similar to styles of Asking Alexandria and Attack Attack and We Came As Romans, I can scream and such (learning to growl and do lows)

I was figuring how to figure out or get a high and very clean precise vocal voice when they sing like these bands do, I can sing fairly and I been practicing and such but it isn't the greatest luck for having a similar tone.. I am really determined and stuff to try and attempt it though beside my voice range i mentioned earlier, I was wondering if someone could help me out; I have been having trouble getting my voice high or more precise to sound more melodic in that sense of music style if anyone can give me advice or figure out a way for me to achieve this I would be thankful for any type of advice.

example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7Fi8-7HRhc

any type of similarity or variation of help, I just turned 18 so I wouldn't know if age has too much effect for me..

you could sing with your own voice, rather than trying to sound like them.
shred is gaudy music