Hello pit, my driving test is on the 3rd, which is also my 18th birthday and I'm terrified I've only driven a manual for about 10 hours or so and if I fail it will F**k up my family's business and all they say is "if you fail we wont be angry" which is bollocks does the pit have any experience driving? Are there any tips or suggestions?

tl;dr I'm in deep shit.

EDIT: yes a circus, in a tent.

LATE NEWS; I passed! first go!
Quote by ChucklesMginty
If God didn't want people to be gay why did he put a G spot in our asses?
Last edited by strait jacket at Nov 3, 2011,
my family is a circus and we cant work in victoria cos of legal crap and we cant leave until I can drive a car

EDIT: FYI victoria is an australian state
they can all drive but we have too many trailers and caravans so travelling takes forever and cost heaps of money, and a circus has gotta be able to move.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Last edited by strait jacket at Nov 1, 2011,
I have my driving test on the 1st.
Just don't panic and think clearly. It also helps to get your butt on the road as much as possible in the next few days. Practice, practice, practice. And read the booklet front to back. The written test is just making sure you can memorize numbers.

Try to be as smooth as possible with stops/turns/lane changes/etc.
Last edited by CodChick at Nov 1, 2011,
Don't panic, that's most important. Also make sure you tell the tester to give you a reasonable amount of time before you change lanes/turns etc... It's not too hard, just show em you can drive
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
Dude, go out and drive with your parent to warm up before your big day. You'll do fine though.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Practise more. The time you spent writing up this thread, you could've been out practising. GO ON, GET!
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Australian driving tests are easy. The number one rule is they don't test your ability to drive a car. they test your ability to drive a car safely. Indicate everything you do, check your rear vision mirror, mirrors on the side, and blindspot everytime you slow down or speed up or do anything. Give way when you're meant to, and drive to the conditions. I failed at reverse parking and took off with the handbrake on when I took my test, but that is irrelevant because I did it all safely. That's all you need to know.

(Bolded text for emphasis)
Wait, if you're in VIC, don't you have to do 120 hours of driving on your L's before you can take the test. If you're shit, they'll know you haven't and won't let you take the test.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by strait jacket
if I fail it will F**k up my family's business and all they say is "if you fail we wont be angry"

Haha no pressure hey
I'm not saying not to trust the internet, but there's an alarming discrepancy between the number of iPads I've won & the number of iPads I own.
Just burn a J to calm your nerves, Ts.
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
Quote by Gmp
Australian driving tests are easy. The number one rule is they don't test your ability to drive a car. they test your ability to drive a car safely. Indicate everything you do, check your rear vision mirror, mirrors on the side, and blindspot everytime you slow down or speed up or do anything. Give way when you're meant to, and drive to the conditions. I failed at reverse parking and took off with the handbrake on when I took my test, but that is irrelevant because I did it all safely. That's all you need to know.

THIS. I failed when I first took the test, not because I was a bad driver in any technical sense, but because I failed to check blindspots a couple of times. There's no point being nervous though. Buy a dirt cheap manual car and drive it as much as possible and you'll be fine.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
Holy Crap.

I love you more than life itself.
If you're well nervous on the morning, have a bit of scotch... Calms the nerves!
Have a drink to calm your nerves

Driving is all about experience, it's not difficult what so ever after enough practise. Just chill your beans and take a deep breath before starting. They'll have to deal with mega nervous 17 year olds all day so don't worry about it. I failed the first time i did my driving test because it got mega foggy/misty/shitty weather mid way through and i completely bottled it. That said he did only fail me for indicating too late which seemed a little harsh, i did get quite a few minor points though.

Second time i did it i knew what to expect and just bossed it, it was sunny too which was nice.

tl;dr don't worry about it, just practise for an hour beforehand and you'll be fine.

btw the first line was a joke, if you considered it whatsoever you deserve to fail
Are you doing your test in one of those tiny clown cars? I can see it now, it pulls up with about 16 driving instructors hopping out...

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Just keep yourself as calm as possible. Think everything through before you do it, so as not to make sudden changes/mistakes. Stick to the speed limit. Be confident, but not too much so. Don't worry about the just 10 hours in a manual bit, it's not that difficult; just be gentle on the clutch, if you're driving along at a steady speed change down a gear if you're doing over about 2000 - 2500 rpm. Be gentle on the throttle, gentle on the brake, and gentle with the clutch; but obviously not so gentle that it doesn't go anywhere or stop in time. Look ahead down the road to see what others are doing, so you can anticipate having to stop/slow down/ change direction etc. you'll have less chance of making sudden and unexpected changes then. USE YOUR MIRRORS, they're pretty big on that here. Look all around the car when setting off including blind spots.
You cannot choose the little time you're given in this world. You enter bare and unclothed, provided only with intelligence enough to choose how you spend your time. You always have a choice. Always. Though be warned, your choice can rarely be undone
Quote by Gmp

Yeah this is true. I passed my manual license test regardless of the fact that I did a three point turn and failed to change into 1st from stopping in 3rd. I did the whole maneuver oblivious to the fact that I had the car in 3rd from the start and PUT IT BACK INTO 3RD WHEN I DROVE OFF. I did the whole indicate, check shoulder and mirrors and what have you that they test you on and passed. I remember as I was driving off after completing the turn and the guy testing me says to me, "Good job, probably would have been easier if you didn't have it in 3rd."

I shat bricks, but still, I passed the test. You'll have nothing to worry about.
Quote by soulflyV
Yeah this is true. I passed my manual license test regardless of the fact that I did a three point turn and failed to change into 1st from stopping in 3rd. I did the whole maneuver oblivious to the fact that I had the car in 3rd from the start and PUT IT BACK INTO 3RD WHEN I DROVE OFF. I did the whole indicate, check shoulder and mirrors and what have you that they test you on and passed. I remember as I was driving off after completing the turn and the guy testing me says to me, "Good job, probably would have been easier if you didn't have it in 3rd."

I shat bricks, but still, I passed the test. You'll have nothing to worry about.

Ahh good old manual, my dad has an Astra that has a really easy clutch, I set off in 4th no bother

Not sure about the rest of Australia, but here in SA you can pass your test in an automatic and legally be allowed to drive manual

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Sounds like you and your parents need to face the reality of what will happen if you fail. If it'll sink your small business then it's obviously doomed to fail in the first place. The only way you're gonna pass is by making it as comfortable for you as possible.

Driving tests are a pain in the ass. Talk to your parents and tell them that you need something to fall back on if you don't pass then it'll make it 10x easier for you.
Quote by Gmp

This is fantastic advice. My instructor drilled exactly this into me from day one. I passed with no minors what so ever just by being as safe as possible.

Good luck TS, just stay calm, relax, and be safe. If you can actually drive you'll be fine. If you're worried about gear changing etc, as you have relatively little practise with a manual, just sit in the front seat when you can't be actually out driving, and work on getting used to those gear changes, both up and down, so you can do them perfectly without having to look. (That could be totally irrelevant for you, I don't know how much experience you have in a manual).
In the days of darkness men feared not the sword and the lance
Nor did he fear the beast of fire... He feared...
THE AXEMAN!!

The Earth is covered in ash and our lungs have filled with worms...
first time around they failed me for 45 in a 40 zone, they said "dont be angry, you had everything else perfect" i just thought, **** if it was soo perfect, GIVE ME MY ****ING LICENCE!!
anyhoo, stick 5-10 under the speed limit, check rear vision mirror before braking and check you blind spot when changing lanes. pretty breezy
It's a very sorry state of affairs if a family business relies on the passing of a driving test by an 18 year old.
455 75 34 88

(´・ω・`)

Quote by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
Quote by strait jacket
Hello pit, my driving test is on the 3rd, which is also my 18th birthday and I'm terrified I've only driven a manual for about 10 hours or so and if I fail it will F**k up my family's business and all they say is "if you fail we wont be angry" which is bollocks does the pit have any experience driving? Are there any tips or suggestions?

tl;dr I'm in deep shit.

auto is for faggots it's your own fault if you fail

also, it took me less than about 1-2 hours at most to learn how to drive a stick shift properly

yet another reason why you deserve it
Quote by goest
^Absolute. Uncompromising. 100% pure, fresh. Solid. Gold.

Quote by WCPhils
That might be my favorite shoop I have ever seen on here.

Quote by KnightBand
Yes! ****ing Yes! YOU LEGEND!!!
Oh my god! The first try??
Quote by SleepTalkinMan
"Ooh! Straight-jackets online! Christmas sorted."
Quote by strait jacket

tl;dr I'm in deep shit.

Why on earth have you booked for a manual with only 10 hours of practice in?
Go get driving, boy!

Btw, I love the circus.
Quote by Idiot_Son
i went to the pub. the look on the bartenders faces when they realised theyd been serving me alcohol illegally for the past two years was priceless.

Quote by stiff-upper-lip
DoGaLog, i think youv jst owned everyone on this thread and well done.
Quote by MiserySignals11
Damn straight

NO WAY nigga you's playin!

The first try??

Geddouddahere
Quote by SleepTalkinMan
"Ooh! Straight-jackets online! Christmas sorted."
Quote by OneHappyCamper
NO WAY nigga you's playin!

The first try??

Geddouddahere

No playin. Just doin what I do
I passed first go! I gotta tell someone cos i've got no friends.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
I read the title as Drinking Test.

Also

Quote by strait jacket
I passed first go! I gotta tell someone cos i've got no friends.

Thats because your a carny, and you smell like cabbage. People don't like people who smell like cabbage.

Congratulations though
Last edited by epiless at Nov 3, 2011,