So today I tried out this:

Ibanez TSA15H Head
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-tube-screamer-series-tsa15h-head-and-tsa112c-1x12-half-stack/423749000000000?src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=476091288

and this:

Egnater Rebel 20
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/egnater-rebel-20-20w-tube-guitar-amp-head

Now first I have to say, if you could choose between the two, which would you get?

For the Ibanez and the Cab it's only $500, but for an extra $300 I could get the Egnater with a cab.

I really liked both amps, but I liked the Egnater just a tinsy bit more because it's stock gain was enough by itself, and even sounded decent at lower volumes.

Whereas the Ibanez I had to get more overdrive from my Boss Metalzone.

I play mainly high gain stuff. Especially cause I like the sound of high gain.

I'll buy either, but I was wondering what you guys thought about the Egnater+Cab being an extra $300. Do you think it's worth the extra money? Or would you just go with the Ibanez head instead?

I really did like them both, but I only liked the Egnater a little more because I didn't have to use a pedal to get into high gain territory.I liked the tones I could get out of both of them though.

On a side note, I really really really LOVED the Bright switch on the Egnater. It made my cleans really really sparkle
Austin Les Paul
Alvarez Acoustic

Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100
Peavey 5150 2x12 60watt combo
Orange Micro Terror
Jet City Made in USA 2x12
Last edited by BeastModeEngage at Nov 1, 2011,
If I had the money, the Egnater fer sure.
You know the Egnater is the one you want. Are you just looking for validation to spend the extra money? Buy the Egnater!
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
If I had the money, the Egnater fer sure.
You know the Egnater is the one you want. Are you just looking for validation to spend the extra money? Buy the Egnater!

Yes I am! An extra $300 is just like. ohmaigawd
Austin Les Paul
Alvarez Acoustic

Orange Micro Terror
The Egnater is a great amp, but I'd be somewhat (only somewhat) unsure about recommending it for metal. And the Ibanez is supposed to be a really clean amp, definitely not what you're looking for.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Quote by souperman08
And the Ibanez is supposed to be a really clean amp, definitely not what you're looking for.

This. I'd say the Ibanez would be unsuitable if high-gain metal is your thing, I use one for a clean-ish sound in my surf band. I'd also imagine the lack of a mid EQ control would limit you if you were after a scooped metal tone.
Gear:
Fender AVRI '62 Jazzmaster, Fender Gold Sparkle Strat (custom), Custom Swirled Roswell Rhoads
Marshall DSL15H, Weber Speakers, Fender Champs (x2),
'63 Fender Reverb, Mosrite Fuzzrite, Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face, Whiteface RAT
Vintage Tubes!
Egnater. No question out of the two.
But if you like high gain; then I'm not sure I'd get either tbh.
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by jukejointjohnny
This. I'd say the Ibanez would be unsuitable if high-gain metal is your thing, I use one for a clean-ish sound in my surf band. I'd also imagine the lack of a mid EQ control would limit you if you were after a scooped metal tone.

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!

the voicing in the Ibanez is just all wrong for metal.

For $200 cheaper than the Egnater, email Dave at Baron Amplifiers and ask about the Snott Watt.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
You will be able to play metal with the Egnater for sure, just put an overdrive in front of it...

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Guys, I don't play metal. With the gain cranked on the Egnater I could get the perfect amount of gain. Like the amount I use on every amp. I think it's got plenty of gain.

I don't really play metal. More of like hardcore/pop-punk items. I have my own tone. And I liked both of them.

The only thing I didn't like about the Ibanez was the fact that I had to use my metalzone to get enough gain to make it useable.

The Egnater was really nice without the Metalzone
Austin Les Paul
Alvarez Acoustic

Orange Micro Terror
I'll get the jca 20h or 22h (two channel) those amps are better suited for higher gain tones.

an amp and cab pack for the single channel - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/jet-city-amplification-jca20h-and-jca12s-half-stack/584695000000000

the dual channel jca 22h - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/jet-city-amplification-jca22h-20w-tube-guitar-amp-head/h76843000001000

1x12 cab - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/jet-city-amplification-jca12s-1x12-guitar-speaker-cabinet/583598000702306

Just throwing some more options out there
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...
Quote by mulefish
Egnater. No question out of the two.
But if you like high gain; then I'm not sure I'd get either tbh.

This

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

and this.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I need a Metalzone on the Tubescreamer to get enough gain.

I DON'T need it on the Egnater. Can't get much more simple than that..

I give up. I think I might just end up going with that Jet City Head though..
Austin Les Paul
Alvarez Acoustic

Orange Micro Terror
Get the Rebel better, I was not inquiring you play metal, just trying to point out that you can get the tone for almost (if not at all) any music genre as some guys where saying you couldn't get a metal tone out of the Egnater.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Quote by Perverockstar69
Get the Rebel better, I was not inquiring you play metal, just trying to point out that you can get the tone for almost (if not at all) any music genre as some guys where saying you couldn't get a metal tone out of the Egnater.

I felt that I got a pretty good Metal tone out of the Egnater.

I had the gain cranked. The Watts dial set to one, and the Master set pretty high. it was loud as piss, but it sounded pretty heavy to me.
Austin Les Paul
Alvarez Acoustic

Orange Micro Terror
Let's start from the top. What don't you like about your 333XL that prompted you to start looking for a new amp?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X