Page 1 of 2
Yes, this is another which guitar thread

I own an Epiphone Les Paul standard (left handed) and... I just couldn't get any mojo out of it. I would play it and it felt like I was playing someone elses guitar. I ended up not being satisfied with it, even though I know its a great guitar and it does its job perfectly. As I said... I just am not feeling anything with what I currently have.

So im selling it tomorrow. And trying again. I need to buy another les Paul, because, I still really love the style of the guitar and how they sound, the oomph and balls associated with the guitar, the badass imagery associated with it. So I have a pretty decent budget, $1000, but I have to put emphasis on how this guitar looks.
I want it to look like its been blessed by a witch doctor, or the devil rubbed some elbow grease into it, or SOMETHING. The finish has to be very beautiful and unique.
So in one corner, we have....The Agile AL-3100 in wine red.
thing is pretty sweet looking, and the price is something I like to look at. I like the finish, but I know the horn on these models is not as sharp. I guess just peoples thoughts on this guitar would be helpful.
In the second corner we have...The Epiphone Les Paul Plus top. The finish on the particular guitar that is on the GC site is pretty nice. I like the vintage tuners too, and I already have experience with the epiphone brand as a pretty reliable company. Anyone have any pictures of their plus top epi? reviews from particular users?
Then in the last corner, the highest priced guitar in the lineup: The Gibson LP Studio 60's.
The pictures on this site are of the particular guitar that you buy. That means, when you hit "add to cart" that is the actual guitar you are getting. Pretty sweet. I like how these are nitro finished as well, which will wear down with heavy use nicely. I feel like one of these really would give me the mojo I am looking for and I would be proud to play it onstage for a long, long time. But, I have also heard they have some quality control problems, need to be set up, and that the p90's are especially noisy and just decent sounding. I really like the finsih and the tuners on these guys, too. Not to mention it is an actual Gibson, with the open book headstock. I know I am just buying into the name, but..I like the name
What are peoples experiences with these guitars? What would you get if you were in my position? I need someone else to help me decide, I am afraid of just pulling the trigger and accidentally making a purchase that wont have the mojo, just like the one I have in my hand at the moment. So far I am leaning toward the Gibby... is this the right decision? The other two are good competitors and the money I saved could be spent on other things. So i am at a crossroads..

Help Me?
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio 60's Tribute
SX stratocaster
MIA Fender Stratocaster
Vox AD50 Vox AC15C1 Vox AC30CC2X Laney LH50r
Guitar>Joe Bonamossa Crybaby > AquaPuss> Sparkle Drive> Green Rhino> DejaVibe> Amplifier
CROWN VIC
Im not reading all of that, but i'd pick a Gibson 60s tribute over any Epiphone or Agile.
Im not reading it either its too late. But the agile is going to give you more bang for your buck than the Gibson and the Epiphone. Agiles are a little better than epiphone and gibson are too over priced.
if you'd bother to read, it's not excatly a vs thread. However TS, you should just look at the UG reviews to find out what your looking for.
The Epi Plus Top is the same as the Standard but with a flame maple veneer. If you don't like your Standard you won't like the Plus Top.

Agile are one of many copy brands. They get rave reviews because they're cheap and most of the people that buy them don't know any better. They're not bad guitars by any means but they ARE just another copy brand. They are not significantly different to Epiphone, they're just a bit more affordable and in some cases come with slightly nicer hardware than the equivalent Epiphone in their price range.

The Gibson blows both of them right out of the water. There's a reason why those 60s Tribute models are selling out all over the place. It's probably been Gibson's best-selling guitar over the last year. If 'mojo' is what you're after then P90s have it in spades and there is something unquantifiably special about guitars with thin nitro finishes.

This could almost be a joke topic, it's such an open-and-shut case.
Quote by grohl1987
The Epi Plus Top is the same as the Standard but with a flame maple veneer. If you don't like your Standard you won't like the Plus Top.

Agile are one of many copy brands. They get rave reviews because they're cheap and most of the people that buy them don't know any better. They're not bad guitars by any means but they ARE just another copy brand. They are not significantly different to Epiphone, they're just a bit more affordable and in some cases come with slightly nicer hardware than the equivalent Epiphone in their price range.

The Gibson blows both of them right out of the water. There's a reason why those 60s Tribute models are selling out all over the place. It's probably been Gibson's best-selling guitar over the last year. If 'mojo' is what you're after then P90s have it in spades and there is something unquantifiably special about guitars with thin nitro finishes.

This could almost be a joke topic, it's such an open-and-shut case.

this +1000
None of those
Caparison Angelus HGS, EMG 85/85 18V | Krank Rev1, JJ's | Mesa Recto Cab | Maxon OD808
I would get the gibson. But at that price range you can get an ESP.
But everyone to his own and you should really try to test them before buying them just not listen to what other people think about them.
Quote by Saturated Fat
Anyone have any pictures of their plus top epi? reviews from particular users?

http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i351/SuperKingDonkey/guitar.jpg

It's a solid guitar but it's no Gibson. Not really much point in me giving you a review - you have an Epiphone Standard which is the exact same guitar, sans finish. Go with the 60s Tribute if you want something different, stick with the Epiphone if you know for yourself that you like it but you just want a different finish (which, in my opinion, is not worth it at all considering you already have the same guitar).
West Ham United
Last edited by King Donkey at Nov 1, 2011,
When I went to the link you provided I noted that the price is higher than normal.
Try Sweetwater....Their Studio Tributes are hundreds less than the dealer you picked.

<http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=Gibson+Les+Paul+Studio&params=eyJkaW1lbnNpb24iOnsiQ2F0ZWdvcnkiOiIxMTkxIn19>

You'll get a better guitar all around than Epi or Agile. Bettter HW, better PUs and resale is great on these things. Many people who own higher end Gibsons have spoken well of these and been impressed on the value for the buck (~$850 USD new). You can't get an ESp for that, you're talking LTD.
Sweetwater, unlike other online dealers, takes care of their inventory.
Moving on.....
^He needs a lefty, hence the higher prices.

The Gibson is by far the best of those guitars. Agiles are decent but they're budget guitars. Epi are fine too but if you have the budget for a decent Gibson, don't bother. The Studio 60s is an excellent guitar and quite reasonably priced, especially considering it's a Gibson.

I'm not sure why you'd bother buying another Epi when you've got one you don't love. An Agile isn't going to be much different quality-wise. The Gibson has a much, much nicer finish and feel (paint doesn't feel like plastic), the pickups aren't total crap, and it won't weigh 12 pounds. Just make sure you want P-90s before you get that particular one. If you don't, get one of the Studio 50/60s with humbuckers.
Whay country are you from? Have you not considered a Gibson Std? Mayby left hand are very hard to get, I dunno.

For a 1000 you should get a top line guitar 2nd hand (prs, mia fender, tokai, gibson etc what ever you fancy) spending that much only to want to upgrade in a year or two I think is nuts. Take your time, and get something you will love and will last.(at least until you can afford to have a few to swap around if your into that)

I have played the nitro finished p90 studios. Lovely smooth sound (if you like p90s). I was not happy with the neck. It just didn fit right in my hand, other than that tasty guitar.

Happy hunting
07 Gibson Les Paul LE
06 Fender Mex Strat - SDJb Jr, duckbucker, lil 59
Floor
Cry Baby 95Q-> Digitech Whammy -> DD3 -> MXR Micro Amp-> TU 2
Loop
Holy Grail ->Boss Rc20 Loop Station
Amp
Laney GH50 with Zilla Fatboy 2x12 (celestion g12-65)
Out of those: The Gibson for sure.

It's a nice and well priced guitar, I really liked the 60's Tributes I played so far myself.
There's also a 50's Tribute model with humbuckers AFAIK if you are worried about P90s being noisy, no idea if they also have them as left-handed models though.

But I don't think that the hum is such a huge issue, I have singlecoils on my Strat myself and never really found it to be that bad, actually I thought it's hardly noticable.
However, how much hum you get also depends a lot on your amp.
Wow, thanks for all the advice guys, that was faster than I expected. People are saying get the studio 60's, so I am going to have to start shopping around. What sucks is that I wont be able to try out the guitar before buying since no guitar store in my city has a left handed model to play( I live in chicago).

Quote by Roc8995

Just make sure you want P-90s before you get that particular one. If you don't, get one of the Studio 50/60s with humbuckers.

Can you show me a link to what you are talking about?
Gear:
SX stratocaster
MIA Fender Stratocaster
Guitar>Joe Bonamossa Crybaby > AquaPuss> Sparkle Drive> Green Rhino> DejaVibe> Amplifier
CROWN VIC
Quote by Saturated Fat
Wow, thanks for all the advice guys, that was faster than I expected. People are saying get the studio 60's, so I am going to have to start shopping around. What sucks is that I wont be able to try out the guitar before buying since no guitar store in my city has a left handed model to play( I live in chicago).

Can you show me a link to what you are talking about?

Big city like Chicago, might be a 2nd hand out there somewhere. Might be like hens teeth though.
07 Gibson Les Paul LE
Floor
Loop
Amp
http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Studio-50s-Tribute-Humbucker.aspx

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Studio-Deluxe-60s-Exclusive.aspx

Not sure if either of those come in left handed, though. You might want to call Gibson to find out, they'd know who has one in stock near you too. If neither of those are available, I'd go for a Studio Faded, which is definitely available in a lefty model and is very close to those guitars spec-wise. Nothing wrong with P-90s, though, if you were to get that 60s tribute. Just make sure they're what you want.
Those look really cool. I shot them an e-mail through their comments section on their website, i cant seem to find a phone number to call. I have never played through P90's, so I have a question: On a strat, there are certain positions(2 and 4) that dont make noise. Would having both pick ups active (the middle selected on a LP)remove this buzzing sound?
What I am thinking of doing is having a right handed friend who plays guitar go and try out a couple of the right handed studio 60's at my local GC, then see what he thinks of them, how they sound, etc. and then try to find the one I really like the look of on the website I posted.

and what bothers me is how much more expensive left handed guitars are when compared to their right handed counterparts- the studio 60's go for something around $900 right handed, and about $1100 left handed. $200 difference all for being born this way? That doesnt seem fair.... :[

Anyone have any pictures of their studio 60s? Thoughts about them?
Gear:
SX stratocaster
MIA Fender Stratocaster
CROWN VIC
Even if you end up not liking the P90s, pickup changes are easy. You can get humbuckers in P-90 cases or even get stacked P-90s that have less hum but still sound kind of like the originals. Getting a guitar with a quality body and neck is far more important.

edit: some P-90s do cancel the hum when you have both pickups selected, just like Strat pickups. Some do not. I think Gibson's P90s don't but I'm not sure. Like I said you can get hum-cancelling versions or even plain humbuckers that will fit in if you don't like the sound.
Last edited by grohl1987 at Nov 1, 2011,
Not a bad idea getting your friend to test out the SOUND of the guitar if your with him, but you should really try get you hands on the neck (even if upside down to suit left hand) tried 15+ guitars (mostly les pauls) over a couple weeks before I found one that felt right in my hands.

Have fun
07 Gibson Les Paul LE
Floor
Loop
Amp
Gibson is deffinately the better buy.

Epi can be good and so can Agile, but the Gibson will be of a higer quality.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Currently waiting for a potential buyer to drive down and buy my epi. If he buys it, then im a little closer to owning a real Gibson.
The problem I now must face is not spending money that should be for the guitar in the meantime...I might have to bike everywhere and live off of Ramen and sandwiches.
Honestly the guitar is a little over budget for me, which I think is good. I'll hopefully appreciate it a lot more due to the hard work I put in getting it.
I am also curious regarding how well they age. Does the nitro finish crack with heavy use beautifully, like a real 60's LP would? Will it look relic'ed after 30 years?
Gear:
SX stratocaster
MIA Fender Stratocaster
CROWN VIC
Quote by Darkdevil725
Im not reading it either its too late. But the agile is going to give you more bang for your buck than the Gibson and the Epiphone. Agiles are a little better than epiphone and gibson are too over priced.

for the most part, yes.
Quote by Darkflame
tribute 60s fo'sho, I have one and it's the best guitar I've had the chance to touch

Care to share some pictures of it? thoughts and what you think of it in detail?
Gear:
SX stratocaster
MIA Fender Stratocaster
CROWN VIC
Gibson's are only overpriced for poor people, and people who can not save money to buy one. Same goes for ANY expensive company. Don't get me wrong I think $3000+ guitars are re-tarded for being priced so high, but people buy them all the time.

Come on you can get a USA Gibson for <$900 new or you can get a made in Korea/China LTD for $1000..........kinda a no brainer.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I don't agree. The EC1000 is really very nice. I'd say it's one of the few guitars that competes with the 50s and 60s tributes in that price range. If anything, this thread should be about the EC1000/Edwards/Gibson offerings in this price range, not Agile/Epiphone which is a pretty simple decision.

To answer the question about finish and aging: The nitro Gibson uses now is different than the "original formula" stuff. It's a little tougher and a little more resistant to cracking as far as I can tell. However, it ought to wear and crack similarly to the old stuff, if a little slower.

In case anyone cares -
I have a LP with a headstock repair that was resprayed with nitro, and it got the lines and checking after just a few years, while the rest of the guitar doesn't show any checking even after 15 years of hard use. I don't know what kind of nitro was used, but I suspect it was the same or very close to Gibson's modern formula since there are not a lot of places to get it any more. That makes me think that it might be the method of painting itself that has changed to reduce cracking. A different primer or top coat would make a big difference.
I agree with Roc, the EC1000 line is pretty impressive for the price. And it comes in a bunch of different variations so you can really pick one to suit your needs. I would pick one of those over either Epi or Agile. Although I'd probably pick the Gibby over the EC. They're both great, just personal preference...
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
gibson. hands down.
-Peavey 6505+
-Bugera 333xl(w/6l6 pt's) -dead
-412 X-pattern loaded w/ WGS veteran30s & HM75s
-Gibson Les Paul, SD Blackouts *being worked on back to stock*
-Jackson DR7, EMGs
-LTD MH417
-Peavey Vyper 75w
Quote by Robbgnarly
Gibson's are only overpriced for poor people, and people who can not save money to buy one. Same goes for ANY expensive company. Don't get me wrong I think $3000+ guitars are re-tarded for being priced so high, but people buy them all the time.

Come on you can get a USA Gibson for <$900 new or you can get a made in Korea/China LTD for $1000..........kinda a no brainer.

i'm not poor and i can save money, still think they are overpriced. they used to be far closer to fender at one time. looking at my 1988 gear guide and look a top of the line fender strat was $850 a LP Custom $1300 (list prices). retail you wee looking at about $650 for the strat and just under $1000 for the LP. now a LP Custom goes for $4000 retail while the Deluxe strat is only $1500. so you're telling me that gibson's expenses have tripled and fender has somehow kept things semi reasonable. sorry but i think they could sell for less and still make money.

your assessment is rather simplistic . poor people find everything expensive obvioulsy you've never been truly poor. now as for saving well try paying for a car, house, wife and kid and see how easy it is to save for anything. in this case you need to get the most value for your hard earned ans saved money. most gibsons don't fall in this catagory. they make some nice guitars but aren't the best bang for the buck in most cases (we're talking new)

just looked at your profile and with 3 kids you should get what i'm saying.
Last edited by monwobobbo at Nov 2, 2011,
Quote by monwobobbo
i'm not poor and i can save money, still think they are overpriced. they used to be far closer to fender at one time. looking at my 1988 gear guide and look a top of the line fender strat was $850 a LP Custom $1300 (list prices). retail you wee looking at about $650 for the strat and just under $1000 for the LP. now a LP Custom goes for $4000 retail while the Deluxe strat is only $1500. so you're telling me that gibson's expenses have tripled and fender has somehow kept things semi reasonable. sorry but i think they could sell for less and still make money.

your assessment is rather simplistic . poor people find everything expensive obvioulsy you've never been truly poor. now as for saving well try paying for a car, house, wife and kid and see how easy it is to save for anything. in this case you need to get the most value for your hard earned ans saved money. most gibsons don't fall in this catagory. they make some nice guitars but aren't the best bang for the buck in most cases (we're talking new)

While I really like Fender I have to say that Gibson puts out really nice MIA instruments at prices where Fender only offers MIM guitars and most other companies only offer guitars made overseas.

Another thing you should know is that not too long ago (2000-something AFAIK) Gibson started building the Les Paul Customs in the Gibson Custom Shop.
Meanwhile the American Deluxe Strat is "nothing more" than a somewhat nicer Standard Strat with some extra specs.

It's only my opinion, but I think Gibson is actually GREAT bang for the buck, especially their lower range offerings.
A lot of people also use Gibson's mrsp as a price reference. Anyone who's been around knows the real price is usually ~45% discounted when you buy from a decent dealer. There is also minimum allowable listed price for Gibson products, meaning vendors can't advertise lower prices but they are allowed to sell for lower privately. an example of this is my R7, generally speaking the advertised price is around $3500usd. I easily purchased mine for $2750usd.
As for the respray in nitro, music suppliers like STEW MAC and LMI sell a version of nitro, not Gibson's. It's reasonable to assume a repairmen used non-Gibson nitro for touch ups.
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
As for the respray in nitro, music suppliers like STEW MAC and LMI sell a version of nitro, not Gibson's. It's reasonable to assume a repairmen used non-Gibson nitro for touch ups.

Yes, but my thought was that modern nitro is probably fairly similar. Due to environmental regulations, it seems likely that modern Re-Ranch or Stew Mac nitro is closer to modern Gibson nitro than modern Gibson is to what they were using during the 50s. I doubt it was Gibson nitro, but it seems unlikely that one brand wouldn't crack for 15 years and another is completely checked within 5. It seems more likely to me that it was the application process more than the chemical makeup of the paint.
Quote by JesusCrisp
While I really like Fender I have to say that Gibson puts out really nice MIA instruments at prices where Fender only offers MIM guitars and most other companies only offer guitars made overseas.

Another thing you should know is that not too long ago (2000-something AFAIK) Gibson started building the Les Paul Customs in the Gibson Custom Shop.
Meanwhile the American Deluxe Strat is "nothing more" than a somewhat nicer Standard Strat with some extra specs.

It's only my opinion, but I think Gibson is actually GREAT bang for the buck, especially their lower range offerings.

even then...

non custom shop gibbys (usa standard) can now be considered the equivalent of the old gibson custom....

so thats still a big price jump.
Out of all of those I would go for the telecaster.
WARNING:
The above is most likely sarcasm, so fuck yourself if you're offended.
Quote by shavorules42
Hey look! An intelligent post!
Quote by WCPhils
One time I saw a religious person eating so I don't do that anymore.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Save water. Drink alcohol.
Quote by monwobobbo

I guess that did come across a little brash, I guess I was brought up with the "nothing is out of your reach, if you really want it" mentality that alot of people don't get anymore. I can set a goal and work to get to that goal even if it takes a long time.
Yes I agree that the higher end Gibsons can be way over priced. Iwas just stating the LTD/Gibson thing to show that not all Gibson guitars are "overpriced" when you have an import guitar that is gonna cost more than a USA made guitar.

Yes having kids has made me more frugal with money, especially in our awesome economy.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by JesusCrisp

umm.. don't kniow what they charge for guitars where your from but here in the US a MIM strat new is $500 there isn't one single US made gibson for that price.as for the deluxe being a somewaht nicer version of the standard well yeah but newsflash the same thing can be said about the various LPs.

i used the custom because i had a price for it in 88 so i was comparing apples to apples. ok i don't know what the top end production model LP would be but i do know that it will sell for at least $1000 more than the deluxe strat probably more. as mentioned even a custom shop strat would be cheaper. now lets look at the nicer LP studio model vs the low end Standard. $1300 vs $2000. is some binding and different pups really worth $700?
once again not saying that gibson makes bad guitars just that they seem to tack on a "name " fee that exceeds some of the other companies.
Quote by Robbgnarly
I guess that did come across a little brash, I guess I was brought up with the "nothing is out of your reach, if you really want it" mentality that alot of people don't get anymore. I can set a goal and work to get to that goal even if it takes a long time.
Yes I agree that the higher end Gibsons can be way over priced. Iwas just stating the LTD/Gibson thing to show that not all Gibson guitars are "overpriced" when you have an import guitar that is gonna cost more than a USA made guitar.

Yes having kids has made me more frugal with money, especially in our awesome economy.

well realistically there are things that will be "out of reach" if your income level is below a certain point. sure you can save for years but then the thing probably has gone up in price so you end up chasing your own tail so to speak. i grew up with the whole "work hard and you'll reach your goal" thing to but that just plain is a pipe dream these days. sorry to be so cynical but i've taken a hard beating the last few years and insteda of looking toward retirement i'm just wondering if i can retire less than a month after i die

just because an import may cost more than a US made guitar doesn't mean that the US one is a deal. you have to look at what you are getting for the money and often the imports have better features and compareable quality once you get up to the high end.
Quote by monwobobbo
umm.. don't kniow what they charge for guitars where your from but here in the US a MIM strat new is $500 there isn't one single US made gibson for that price.as for the deluxe being a somewaht nicer version of the standard well yeah but newsflash the same thing can be said about the various LPs.

i used the custom because i had a price for it in 88 so i was comparing apples to apples. ok i don't know what the top end production model LP would be but i do know that it will sell for at least $1000 more than the deluxe strat probably more. as mentioned even a custom shop strat would be cheaper. now lets look at the nicer LP studio model vs the low end Standard. $1300 vs $2000. is some binding and different pups really worth $700?
once again not saying that gibson makes bad guitars just that they seem to tack on a "name " fee that exceeds some of the other companies.

I don't think that's accurate. The models you're comparing aren't really analogous. First off, they're not really the same models they are today, and secondly, you're comparing higher end models that are completely irrelevant to this thread. If you wanted to be more relevant, at least compare the cheapest USA strat and the cheapest full-spec USA Les Paul - they're actually very close in price, which is a very recent phenomenon. Gibson has actually done a really good job of making their lower end Les Pauls more competitive with American Strats. 5-6 years ago the cheapest proper LP was a Studio (no faded model), and they cost more than a MIA standard strat.

A better gauge of value, at least in this context, would be what Robb and several other people pointed out - very few companies make a Les Paul style guitar that can hang with the $850 50s/60s tribute models. The LTD EC1000 I would say is one of them, and Edwards/Tokai make some others, but they're all at a very similar price point, which says to me that there really isn't much of a markup going on with these models. If you want to talk higher end models, Custom Shop stuff, sure. Definitely. But these guitars are very, very competitive in the sub-$1000 range.

Also, to your point that a MIM is $500 and Gibson doesn't have a USA guitar in that range: neither does Fender. Gibson actually sells USA made guitars cheaper than Fender does. Also, let's not pretend that it costs the same to bolt a Strat together and to make a Les Paul. Gibson's product is inherently more expensive to produce.
Quote by Saturated Fat
Care to share some pictures of it? thoughts and what you think of it in detail?

It looks amazing, sounds amazing, feels amazing, and it's beautiful. It really is a guitar worth muuuuch more than its price. I loved my SG, I now love my LP. The pickups are very clear sounding, very sweet, very clear and very sweet. Plus, they're cream.
The neck is veeery smooth and comfortable, it really feels like connecting to the guitar when you're playing it.
The goldtop finish is also veeeery nice hehehe
Page 1 of 2