Hey there,

If it's not in the right place just recommend where I should move it to.

So I've got a student who wants learn how to sight read. I've got loads of exercises in books, material from college etc, but don't feel at liberty to photocopy any of this due to copyright reasons.

Is there any software I could get that so I can generate my own exercises? GuitarPro?
Musician Talk would probably be a better fit, man. But on topic, what do you mean by "generate your own excercises"? Do you just want to be able to write up and print out sheet music? Probably the best program for that would be Sibelius. I dont know how much it costs, but its easy.
I disagree with the previous guy, I hate sibelius, been using that a lot on music theory lessons in school and I just can't understand anything about it, Guitar Pro 6 is much easier to work with, it sounds worse, but it's really, really easy to use.
Quote by guy_tebache
Do you just want to be able to write up and print out sheet music? Probably the best program for that would be Sibelius. I dont know how much it costs, but its easy.

Yup, that's basically it. I've heard of Sibelius, that's quite good for drum notation as well isn't it?
I disagree with the previous guy, I hate sibelius, been using that a lot on music theory lessons in school and I just can't understand anything about it, Guitar Pro 6 is much easier to work with, it sounds worse, but it's really, really easy to use.

Thanks to both so far, GP6 was my initial thought...
Tux Guitar is like GP, read GP files, but is open source and free. If you just want to write and print out excercises, it's a great solution. works on Linux/Mac/Windows too.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Of course yeah, I forgot about Tux guitar. Thanks.
Why not have your student pick up a copy of the book?

I was thinking of that, but not sure if it'd go down too well with a student having to fork out more money for their own material. Shouldn't it be the job for the teacher to provide materials?

Or maybe I'm just being too kind haha. yeah, buy your own mate!
Quote by mdc
Shouldn't it be the job for the teacher to provide materials?

Students buy their own method books, that is why music stores have huge racks of them. Printing your own sheet music will often cost you more in time and materials than it will cost the student to just buy a book. Only provide materials for lessons that you write yourself.
Quote by jpnyc
Students buy their own method books, that is why music stores have huge racks of them. Printing your own sheet music will often cost you more in time and materials than it will cost the student to just buy a book. Only provide materials for lessons that you write yourself.

agreed. i do have some 'blank' staff sheets i made myself on CAD so i could make lessons and print them out occasionally but this really doesn't save much money with how cheap you can buy blank staff paper or method books.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by mdc
Of course yeah, I forgot about Tux guitar. Thanks.

You even have a penguin with a guitar for an avatar.

Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
OK. I heed the advice about lesson materials. ^^ Funny, I used to be a CAD technician!