hi,finally i want to create my own rig for live playing and recording and for pedals i don't know what way is better.i write my plans and please help which is better?

1.some budget pedals (crybaby 535q+ns2+mxr 10 band eq+mxr custom comp+bad monkey+mxr analog delay...)+ a good amp better than my current amp(avt150 and i must stay with it for some time maybe) two shure sm57s for recording on live and studio

2.an amp+ tc electronics g major instead of pedals and mics for recording on stage and studio

3.just buy a very good multi effect pedal/amp sim like pod hd500 or digitech rp1000 +a powered speaker and an audio interface for recording

i know racks are expensive and i cant afford them so i didnt' write them
so please tell me which are better for me and which need more money?

i'm an intermediate player and also i'm buying a good guitar(ibanez re prestige or esp mii or mm jp6)and my current worthy gears are a digitech gnx4, a marshall avt150 and a boss ds2
thanks
Gears:
Ibanez RG2550Z GK
Marshall TSL 122 Combo
Digitech GNX4
Boss DS2
Roland MicroCube
Last edited by james.hetfield at Nov 1, 2011,
I've recently gone through the same dilemma myself. I ended up buying a better amp and budget pedals (I check Guitar Center's used section every day, you'd be amazed at some of the sh*t you can find on there).

All in all, it depends on your skill set with electronics. With individual pedals you'll have a much wider range of sounds and be better able to create your own tone. It'll require more knowledge with electronics and take a bit longer to find a sound. With the multi effects unit you'll have a much easier set up range of sounds but I think it sort of limits your creativity. The more expensive ones you mention actually sound pretty good compared to analog pedals. I know a lot of guitarists though that find the digital aspect too noticeable, but I haven't found it to be too noticeable. Personally I'd go with the budget pedals, theres just something about them that a multi effects unit just can't compete with.

It's hard to tell which would cost the most, you mention an amp in each of them but I assume they'll all be the same amp? Taking out the amp on each of them, I'd say the budget pedals would be the cheapest if you are willing to go used. The only multi effect pedals that I've seen that I thought were worth buying go for anywhere from $300 and up. You could get a pretty nice set of used pedals for that price.

Best of luck!
i would personally go with individual pedals. I have found that getting pedals that do one job really well is better than multi-effects that do 10 jobs OK. I want the best sound I can get and for me it is through individual pedals. Also just a quick thing on something you said. Maybe get two different mics. SM57 is good but I think it can constrict the sound too much so maybe pair it with a condensor mic as well. Get the best of both worlds. You dont need to spend an absolute grip on a condensor mic either. hover in the low $100 range for what you will need. Good luck to you.
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
Last edited by thejester at Nov 1, 2011,
Quote by thejester
i would personally go with individual pedals. I have found that getting pedals that do one job really well is better than multi-effects that do 10 jobs OK. I want the best sound I can get and for me it is through individual pedals. Also just a quick thing on something you said. Maybe get two different mics. SM57 is good but I think it can constrict the sound too much so maybe pair it with a condensor mic as well. Get the best of both worlds. You dont need to spend an absolute grip on a condensor mic either. hover in the low $100 range for what you will need. Good luck to you.

I agree with this statement when it comes to lower end modelers, but the stompbox models on the HD500 will kill every stompbox that he's mentioned. Not to mention you can put them anywhere in the signal chain you want.

(crybaby 535q+ns2+mxr 10 band eq+mxr custom comp+bad monkey+mxr analog delay...)

Not to mention altogether they roughly cost the same as an HD500.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
If it was any other multi effects processor I would say go with the individual pedals. But I have to say the TC Electronics stuff is amazing. I've never actually used the G Major but I recently got the G Force and its the best thing I have ever bought. I hardly use my individual pedals now.
Also, I have to disagree with Picklelerner. The depth of the customization for each individual effect (in the G Force anyway) is way more than any individual pedal I have come across. You can be so much more precise in setting the exact Speeds, Depth, Feedback and Mix levels ect. Also being able to activate multiple effects with one switch is a massive plus point. No more trying to turn on 3 different pedals at the same time.
I'd get the G-Major and a MIDI controller but really if I were you I'd be more concerned about the amp. Sort out a good base sound (ie. guitar and amp) first before spending a lot of money on effects. Get rid of the AVT and buy a proper amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I'd get the G-Major and a MIDI controller but really if I were you I'd be more concerned about the amp. Sort out a good base sound (ie. guitar and amp) first before spending a lot of money on effects. Get rid of the AVT and buy a proper amp.

This.

Also, the G major 2 is amazing. I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss the multi FX units without trying them. Some sound as good, if not better than stompboxes. And it's much easier to control it all with a midi pedal rather than tap dancing on a massive pedalboard.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
live playing and studio recording are really 2 different things . i use different things for the best results in either catagory. live i use an amp and a few fx pedals for recording i use a Line 6 POD. the TC electronics unit is a great multifx set up if you actually need that. some here use MFX because what they play demands the use of many fx or constantly changing settings to cover the various songs. others like me use fx sparingly so don't really need a fancy set up. figure out what yo need and go from there. as for recording using a digital setup is much easier for a beginner than trying to mic an amp etc.