I've been playing guitar for years and always bought a guitar that would do the job for that specific band as I never had the money for an instrument I could truly enjoy. I'm now working and finally have the opportunity to enhance my rig and want to upgrade my current setup to something I can really get stuck into and regain my passion for writing music again.

I've had various guitars over time and have found that my technique and style lies with the Ibanez brand. I love the feel and versatility of their S series guitars and would love to buy a Prestige edition of this range. My main rig consists of an Ibanez S470, an old Zoom GFX-3 multi effect pedal when I want to mod my sounds and an Orange crush 30r amp whenever I'm not using my usb interface / ableton.

I really just want a guitar I can enjoy - money is not too much of a factor as I haven't bought a guitar in a while so can justify to myself spending that little bit more - between £600 - £1000 really though as I still have to pay the bills!

Does anyone play a Prestige model or have a versatile guitar they can advise me on or persuade me to take a look at. I'm extremely open to suggestions and have been out the guitar buying game for quite awhile so will probably find a few new options on the way.

Thanks guys
Last.fm

Ibanez S470
Orange Crush 30r
Zoom GFX-3
What's sorts of music do you play? You said you like Ibanez and you want versatility, but can you give us anything else you want in a guitar?
I think music's just not your thing if you need something like that to keep you playing. I've been playing on the same 100-200$ guitar for 2 years now, I practice every day for a minimum of 2 hours and I still love this guitar.
Well I play other instruments too, guitar was more of a side project with my mates gigging around abit and grew to love it. My main instrument is Trumpet, I mostly play in larger orchestra's and jazz bands but find it easier to write music and have abit of fun on a guitar.

The music I play ranges from Joe Satriani, Marco Sfogli to All That Remains to Muse... As I said, versatility is a big part of my playing style. I play many genres and with many different kinds of people/bands so like to have the ability to change my playing style without thinking.
Last.fm

Ibanez S470
Orange Crush 30r
Zoom GFX-3
Buy my RG3270

It's currently going for a song on eBay

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
Buy my RG3270

It's currently going for a song on eBay

Ive had an RG350EX before when I first started out and to be honest I do miss that guitar! Just compared to my S Series I have now, it felt so bulky and heavy. I'll definitely take another look at the RG Series though
Last.fm

Ibanez S470
Orange Crush 30r
Zoom GFX-3
The new S prestiges are also very nice but a lot of money for certain unforgivable hardware selections by Ibanez.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
The fact the top end S has bad copies of Jps Dimarzios is just criminal and the fact the lowest end S has the same trem as the top end one? They are very nice but if I were buying an S new. Get the best Non prestige model and buy some new pups with the £500 you save.

I mean the equivalent prestige RGs have real Dimarzios, better hardware and much nicer neck profiles.

I am a massive ibanez fan, but the new S prestige guitar are just a tad over priced.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Well to be fair I already have an S Series and I wont be getting rid of it, so getting an RG or another make/model isn't a bad thing. Especially if the sound would be better, because at the end of the day thats what Im looking for.

Any RG's you would recommend or other brands I should investigate?
Last.fm

Ibanez S470
Orange Crush 30r
Zoom GFX-3
Any Prestige that's either 3XXX or even look for 2nd hand J customs.

Or look for an old S570 and then buy some nice pups.

Though looking at your Sig...

Buy a 570 and then use the remaining 5-600 quid to buy a nice amp.

A better amp will immediately improve your tone and help get you back into playing.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0

Buy a 570 and then use the remaining 5-600 quid to buy a nice amp.

A better amp will immediately improve your tone and help get you back into playing.

This +1000
Ibanez S2170FB Prestige + Crunch Lab
Ibanez RG1570MRR Prestige + Crunch Lab
Taylor 214CE
Peavey 6505MH + Orange PPC112 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
If you really have a passion for writing music you should be able to get it done regardless of what guitar you’re using. Of course having a guitar that takes less maintenance and is easy on the hands helps. But if you really need help to get playing, you need to think more about the source of the problem.
If you like your s470, you could look at older s540 guitars from the mid-late 90s. They are pretty damn sweet and light as hell. Last month I picked a mint used rga121 prestige and it has an awesome neck. I'm now thinking about getting a rg1570 next (and do a pickup swap).
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Some times that is what it takes, there have been a few times where I didnt want to play. And so I traded my guitar off for a different one and ended up playing it several hours a day, by the time I was done I had at least 5 new riffs recorded that I am currently working on turning into a full song.
The source of my problem was starting work... Over the past few months I've started working (after leaving uni) and because its quite a big job and I don't have enough time as it is I struggle to get time to play or write music. This is why when I get time to play I want to play an instrument I can really get stuck into. I mean yeah, I love my S470 and my other instruments but you can never beat the feeling of a brand new instrument that feels different and sounds different to anything else you have. Especially when it can be something much better than what I currently have.

Regarding my amp, I havent needed anything bigger or better as Ive been gigging using other amps/mic setups and now as I live in a shared house mostly play through my usb interface straight through to Ableton. Definitely worth taking another look at though when i get abit more cash.
Last.fm

Ibanez S470
Orange Crush 30r
Zoom GFX-3
I actually really like S series bodies, the shape is nice, sometimes theyre too light for me, and I dislike the necks. I had to borrow some random S series Ibby once and it was nice except for the neck. then again, I dont like ibby necks so disregard that part
My 2003 s470 is nowhere near light!
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs