Hey guys! I was thinking of recording guitar. So I miced up my peavey vypyr 15 and connected the mic to my computer. It recorded and all but it sucked in quality. It was too digital. So can you guys tell me what I can do to produce good quality recordings without having to buy preamps and mixers? Budget is below 200$. Im planning on covering some songs and uploading them on youtube so will a Camera do? Thanks!
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Pro Tip - Neck pickup, tone dial rolled all the way off, makes tuners respond WAY more accurately. I only learned this trick fairly recently, and it actually works.
Line 6 Tone port/POD farm
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
If you want to improve the quality, you'll have to break into that budget and get at least a USB interface to hook up to your computer. There's several threads about which to get in the recordings forum.

The other option is to get a multitracker, but even a used one with average spec would eat all of your $200 budget, so you're probably better off getting an interface.

You'll also need some proper recording software. I don't know what you used for your initial attempts at recording, but Reaper is generally regarded as the best of the software DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) packages which is available for free. Technically it's only free for a 60 day trial period, but it doesn't stop working after that period ends so you can use it for free indefinitely unless you decide you want to pay for it.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I suggest the first thing you do is skip the mic, grab an 1/8" stereo cable, and jack the headphone out into your line in.
Quote by amithkallupalam
Hey guys! I was thinking of recording guitar. So I miced up my peavey vypyr 15 and connected the mic to my computer. It recorded and all but it sucked in quality. It was too digital.

you got a vypyr that doesn't have the usb audio interface built in. an upper end vypyr allows you to plug a USB cable straight into the computer. from what i have heard, this is fairly acceptable for recording, surely better using a bad omni mic through a native sound card.

what mic were you using btw?

Quote by amithkallupalam
So can you guys tell me what I can do to produce good quality recordings without having to buy preamps and mixers?

truthfully? i have done a number of recording with a 1/8" mp3 player 'patchcord' (like an ipod cable) and a 1/8" stereo to 1/4" mono plug adapter. i plug the adapter into the guitar, then the cord into the adapter, then the cord is plugged into the native input on the computer.

i use garageband on my mac to record, and i use an old copy of amplitube for my amp and effect modeling as well (there are a few free software modeling programs out there you can get for free). if you run windows, you can get a free trial version of Reaper for recording and use free VST plug-ins or free software modelers for your guitar effects.

here are some samples of the sound quality i get.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/gumbilicious/music/play1030167

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/gumbilicious/music/play1056051

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/gumbilicious/music/play733334

Quote by amithkallupalam
Budget is below 200$. Im planning on covering some songs and uploading them on youtube so will a Camera do? Thanks!

under 200 is very doable. if you want to you could use the camara to record the visual performance of the song and then replace the mpeg audio with a 'line-in' performance in a DAW like Reaper or Garageband. the stock software on my mac is able to do this pretty easily.

all you'd have to do is plug your guitar into the computer, set up the recording software, load up your tone from amplitube. then set up the camara and press record on the computer's audio recording software and then hit record on the camera and play your performance. then you use some post production/movie-editing software to get rid of the camera's audio (if it even records any) and layer the 'line-in' recording from the recording software and BAM: you have a video that sounds better than most of the scheissekopfs on youtube.

if you can get all the software for free (which you should, i did and i am not very capable) then your cost is gonna be roughly 20 bucks for the adapter and cable:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062462

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-iCable-800-Player-Auxiliary/dp/B002AR5XIK
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Nov 1, 2011,
Focusrite Saffire 6 is ~$150 on eBay, new and will give you much higher quality than plugging into your computer's sound card.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Try a good, cheap USB interface (ART and Line 6 interfaces are ok) with the SimulAnalog Guitar Suite VST package (it's free). To my ears, the JCM900 model in the SA suite sounds much better than the VYPYR models, especially if you chain their tube screamer in front of it.

SA Guitar Suite: www.simulanalog.org/guitarsuite.htm

You'll also need a good impulse loader (cab simulator). My favorite is Poulin's LeCab. You can find it, along with Poulin's other VSTs, at: http://lepouplugins.blogspot.com/

And some impulses to use with LeCab: http://www.guitarampmodeling.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2631

It's the first post on that page. Load one of them in LeCab chained with the JCM900 plug-in and presto... Good guitar tone.

The chain in your DAW should be: Tube Screamer-->JCM900-->LeCab.

Of course, if you bought a Line6 UX1, it comes with POD Farm and it has all the effects/models you'll need for basic recording.

Just my two cents.
Thanks Gumbilicious! So I usally play high gain stuff. So I'm thinking of getting amplitube. So All I have to do is, Plug my guitar directly onto my computer's line in jack, start amplitude, get a nice setting and start recording? Wont reaper just record the sound that comes out of my guitar? Will it record any of amplitubes sound? This seems to be the cheapest way out!
So I wont need a recording interfaces or even my amp?! Amazing!
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Pro Tip - Neck pickup, tone dial rolled all the way off, makes tuners respond WAY more accurately. I only learned this trick fairly recently, and it actually works.
Quote by GenericGenocide
Try a good, cheap USB interface (ART and Line 6 interfaces are ok) with the SimulAnalog Guitar Suite VST package (it's free). To my ears, the JCM900 model in the SA suite sounds much better than the VYPYR models, especially if you chain their tube screamer in front of it.

SA Guitar Suite: www.simulanalog.org/guitarsuite.htm

You'll also need a good impulse loader (cab simulator). My favorite is Poulin's LeCab. You can find it, along with Poulin's other VSTs, at: http://lepouplugins.blogspot.com/

And some impulses to use with LeCab: http://www.guitarampmodeling.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2631

It's the first post on that page. Load one of them in LeCab chained with the JCM900 plug-in and presto... Good guitar tone.

The chain in your DAW should be: Tube Screamer-->JCM900-->LeCab.

Of course, if you bought a Line6 UX1, it comes with POD Farm and it has all the effects/models you'll need for basic recording.

Just my two cents.

Dude but wont I need a modelling software to load the VST plugins? I'll be getting amplitube so ill add the vst plugins onto that. Also, Will I need a usb interface to record with good quality or will directly plugging in do? I have passive pickups.. So..
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Quote by amithkallupalam
Dude but wont I need a modelling software to load the VST plugins? I'll be getting amplitube so ill add the vst plugins onto that. Also, Will I need a usb interface to record with good quality or will directly plugging in do? I have passive pickups.. So..

Nope. All you need is a DAW (digital audio workstation) like Reaper, Acoustica Mixcraft, Sony ACID, Cubase, etc. Reaper and Mixcraft 5 are both good ones if you're just starting out.

A USB interface gets a much better sound than plugging in directly. That being said, using an adapter to plug straight into the computer is perfectly doable, especially if you're mostly recording demos for yourself.

Amplitube is pretty good. I use Amplitube Metal and Amplitube Fender a good bit.. Amplitube 3 is also great, but to me it doesn't seem to have the meat that Amplitube Metal does for heavy sounds. It's still good, I just prefer the metal version for that.

Another good piece of software that's in about the same price range as Amplitube (I think) is Overloud TH1 or TH2.

EDIT: I see what you're saying now. For recording covers to put on Youtube you'd need a VST host to play live with your VSTs. There's several available on the web for free. The one I like is LiveProfessor. You can find it here: http://ifoundasound.com/?page_id=8
Last edited by GenericGenocide at Nov 2, 2011,
I got amplitube 3. But when I start the program, I get a weird noise! I dont know whats wrong. And I can see the meter with amplitube written on it left and right even when i dont play anything! And when it reaches the red side it screeches like hell! Help me!
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Check this video out! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3woW_dYjbo
I shot it without even plugging in my guitar and just hear the noise! I'll get back to you guys tomorrow! Thanks!
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Guys?
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
I can't watch the video I literally live in the middle of nowhere... so no broadband.

That being said, I can really only make a guess. Do you have an ASIO driver installed?
Actually I dont... I use the realtek audio driver. Which ASIO should I get?
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
What about microsoft directsound?
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
OK thanks! I did that and i set the buffer size to 128. I also set up my software to work with asio4all. But All i can hear from my computer speakers is 'pr''pr' and 'tk''tk'. Cant hear the note. Nothing. But i can hear the sound of my guitar directly through my speakers without the softwares interference. Also, I plugged it onto my line in and my microphones in and this is the problem. When the buffer size is higher, I get that problem i had before.
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Quote by amithkallupalam
Actually I dont... I use the realtek audio driver. Which ASIO should I get?

I have your same integrated sound card and I had the same noises problem with ampsims (the only one who worked without noises was GuitarRig, go figure...). You have to buy an external usb soundcard if you wanna get rid of noises.
Quote by francesco18
I have your same integrated sound card and I had the same noises problem with ampsims (the only one who worked without noises was GuitarRig, go figure...). You have to buy an external usb soundcard if you wanna get rid of noises.

Right On - an Interface is a MUST if you want good sound and performance
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Guys please check out my video. It clearly demonstrated my problem. And some people record without using usb interfaces. The noise im talking about is extreme. I dont even get to hear my guitars sound. Just pr's and tk's. Just watch my video. When i open my software, it makes this noise. Even when I dont plug in my guitar, this happens. Just check it out will ya? I installed an asio and it helped me a bit. It removed the extreme noises. But when I strum the guitar or anything, I dont get to hear the chord or anything. Just A lot of pr's and tk's.
Help!
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Have you set up ASIO? A lot of times you have to go to the ASIO control panel and set up the inputs/outputs there as well. Your buffer may be set too high for your hardware.
OK so this is my progress so far. Now i can hear the modified sound coming from amplitube. But i still have a lot of noise. And latency too. I can hear the distortion and all and im sure ive made pretty good progress! . Now about that noise. What do I do about it? I turned on hardware buffer, Which helped amplitube get heard. The only problem is the screeching noise! Buffer offset is 10ms. Latency compensation, In-32 samples, out-32 samples, always resample-off,force wdm driver to 16bit-off, asio buffer size-128 samples. Yeah thats pretty much it. Boom! Turned on the noise gate and it stopped! Awesome!
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Wait noise is still there. I dont know what to do. Damn I wish I could get rid of that noise! Im sure its got something to do with the panel under amp panel. Ok so i messed with the panel that has the noise gate and now i dont have the noise when I dont play. But after I play, I get an echoish kinda noise after i strum.
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
And after I play a few chords in a row, The noise overwhelms my guitar until i can hardly hear it!
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny