Page 1 of 7
There are a few bible-pushers at my university. They hand out flyers after lectures and manage to turn any discussion into a religious one.

I'm doing a group project with one of these guys at the moment. He makes a real effort to be friendly. He always asks how my weekend was and if I did anything exciting. When I ask him the same thing, he says he hung out with his friends from church or the christian society. Basically, he's a friendly guy who seems to enjoy life.

I, like a lot of UGers, am an atheist. I'm introverted and socially awkward. I'm not a very approachable person. I'm impolite and I have trouble pretending to show interest when I really don't care. I'm not a member of many societies. I don't attend a lot of social events. I stay up all night playing guitar and video games.

Although I'm fine with my socially inactive lifestyle, I feel like I'm not giving atheists a good name. There's all this talk about "being good without God" but I'm not setting a good example. Perhaps that's why this guy gives me all these flyers with bible quotes. Maybe he thinks religion will fill a certain void in my life.

So here's my question to atheists and agnostics of The Pit:
If you believe that a person can be good without religion, do you try to set a good example? Or do you simply not care?

tl;dr
I am an atheist and a horribly boring person. Let me know if you're not like me.
I'm an atheist and a lovely person. And so can you.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
people are individuals, and anybody labelling a group for an individual is a stereotyping moron that shouldn't be taken seriously in any kind of poll-taking debate. be who you are and not who you are expected to be and fuck standards.
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
Im an atheist, and just get on with my life. Its not a big deal, if someone asks me my religion, i tell them i dont believe in any of that shit.
You are part of the rebel alliance, and a traitor.

I am also an atheist and I seem like a horribly boring person. I am most often in a content mood. The thing is, I always look angry or pissed. It is probably because I'm half Chinese. I have the Chinese eyes and a white man's face. Therefore, I look angry and people avoid me.
Once you get to know me, you'll find out I am quite a pleasant person to be around.
I wish I had more friends.
I'm an apatheistic agnost atheist and I really don't care about what people believe, or what people who do or do not believe in things do. It's not like their actions are ruled by their beliefs, or lack of beliefs nor does it in any represent their belief system of choice.

TL;DR: I don't care.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
praise Jesus! (puts up flame shield) *then flame shield breaks*
Internet trolls are like sap in trees. sticky and annoying, but good on pancakes.
I'm an atheist and sometimes I feel like I do the right thing a lot more than most people (of all faiths).
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
I saw this picture but can't find it.

Basically it said being a Christian, there are nice ones and not nice ones. Same with atheists, some are nice and some are not.

It's impossible to stereotype. My mom's a christian and my dad has never given a crap. Doesn't make him a bad person, he is a good person.
Current Stage Gear
Ibanez 1987 RG550 Road Flare Red(66th one ever made)
HD500 Pedal
Bugera Vintage 22

Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?
I'm an atheist and many people like me. You are thinking too hard TS.

Just be polite, and don't let your beliefs be something you must tell people about to make things clear. A good atheist will tolerate someone else's beliefs and not let our own beliefs be a major part of our lives because after all, we don't believe in any gods.

And if you were raised by good parents use the moral values they taught you that you think will benefit you and the people around you.
Quote by Extra Ordinary
I am also an atheist and I seem like a horribly boring person. I am most often in a content mood. The thing is, I always look angry or pissed. It is probably because I'm half Chinese. I have the Chinese eyes and a white man's face. Therefore, I look angry and people avoid me.
Once you get to know me, you'll find out I am quite a pleasant person to be around.
I wish I had more friends.

Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
I'm an atheist, and I'm pretty introverted.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
you don't need religion to be a good, friendly and altruistic person. there are religious people who are terrible human beings and atheists who are incredible people, as well as the opposite.
personality has nothing to do with one's beliefs, so you do not set a bad example to atheists; hell, you are who you are, and just because you aren't a very social person, it doesn't mean that you are a bad person

hope that helped
Last edited by little_boy at Nov 1, 2011,
Quote by RU Experienced?
You don't represent anyone other than yourself. A lack of belief in a deity is not a defining characteristic anyway.

Exactly. I really don't even tell people I'm an Atheist (Agnostic) unless specifically asked. Even then, I usually just say I'm not religious. It is a personal belief of mine, but I try to let my actions and words reflect who I am instead of my belief system.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
My atheism doesn't really influence my personality.

So..no, I don't try to set a "good example" because i'm not an example.
TheAmazingAthiest has a sex tape out right now and it's him dildoing himself with a banana.

Athiests are fags.

God hates fags.
Quote by BladeSlinger
I try to let my actions and words reflect who I am instead of my belief system.

Wouldn't your beliefs affect the way you act?
I always thought that by being part of a religion, you agree to follow that religion's philosophy and rules, e.g. "Love your neighbour as you love yourself"
I guess Atheism attracts boring people. You'd think there'd be way more sinning going on, you know with the lack of morals and all.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
I'm a human. I do human-like things that preoccupy most of my time. I live my life without concern that I might be watched by a sky-fairy. If there is a sky-fairy, I hope they're entertained.
Quote by element4433
I guess Atheism attracts boring people. You'd think there'd be way more sinning going on, you know with the lack of religious beliefs and all.

i think that's marginally more accurate
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
I like a bit of sinning myself. Why not? That said I look after my friends. I'm generally a good person in my own way.
Quote by sashki
Although I'm fine with my socially inactive lifestyle, I feel like I'm not giving atheists a good name. There's all this talk about "being good without God" but I'm not setting a good example. Perhaps that's why this guy gives me all these flyers with bible quotes. Maybe he thinks religion will fill a certain void in my life.

You're not what atheism is, atheism is one thing - The lack of belief that a god exists. Anyone who doesn't understand that and would judge atheists based on you, or judge anyone based on any small experience like that, is an idiot. Live your life the way you want to.
Quote by sashki
Wouldn't your beliefs affect the way you act?
I always thought that by being part of a religion, you agree to follow that religion's philosophy and rules, e.g. "Love your neighbour as you love yourself"

Read that rule again.

Now think of how people are part of that religion.

Now think of how many people actually follow that philosophy.

Your actions show how you are, including the action of following the philosophy of your religion. Your words also reflect, like how you speak of your actions. Someone might do a very nice thing but then talk shit about the person they did it for, clearly showing their intent did not match their action.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I was a social introvert when I was a Christian. I hated social affairs and stayed up late playing video games all the time. After I denounced my religion, I was the same way.

Religion never defined me and neither does atheism. I do what I enjoy, and what I enjoy is completely harmless to anyone. I never needed the bible to have morals, I use common sense. I think swear words are ok to say(since there is no evidence otherwise) but I don't say them around kids because people don't like that and I respect that. I won't cheat on my girlfriend because that's not me.

The golden rule is far more powerful than any religious message.
Quote by Kensai
I'm an apatheistic agnost atheist and I really don't care about what people believe, or what people who do or do not believe in things do. It's not like their actions are ruled by their beliefs, or lack of beliefs nor does it in any represent their belief system of choice.

posts like this make me wish there was a +1 button in the forums.

+1
I haz gotten gud
Being atheist is one of the few things that I'm totally comfortable and happy about with regards to my personal traits. It gives me a feeling of great freedom both mentally and with the way I live my life. My life is in my hands, not 'God's will'.

Also think of it this way... an atheist who lives a good honest life is doing it because they are a good person with sound morals, not because they want to be rewarded in heaven or are scared of hell.
So in that way, so long as you're not a bad person, you're giving athiests a good name
Quote by laid-to-waste
people are individuals, and anybody labelling a group for an individual is a stereotyping moron that shouldn't be taken seriously in any kind of poll-taking debate. be who you are and not who you are expected to be and fuck standards.

And yet the thread kept going after this.......
Quote by Kensai

I find all of that very hard to believe.
Quote by ButtHurt©
Being atheist is one of the few things that I'm totally comfortable and happy about with regards to my personal traits. It gives me a feeling of great freedom both mentally and with the way I live my life. My life is in my hands, not 'God's will'.

Also think of it this way... an atheist who lives a good honest life is doing it because they are a good person with sound morals, not because they want to be rewarded in heaven or are scared of hell.
So in that way, so long as you're not a bad person, you're giving athiests a good name

I prefer to give people a good name. Because there are times where everyone doubts the goodness of people in general. I don't bother with groups. I try to show others that there are good people around and that they should contribute by doing some sort of good thing in some form.

If everyone does one considerate thing every day they see someone else be considerate, it would be pretty cool.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
God is a lie. Jesus never existed. Atheist missionaries are faggots.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
The only thing more annoying than a religious person trying to push their beliefs onto you, is an atheist that tries to start a religious debate at every possible chance.

I'm also an atheist (apatheist would probably be more appropriate though) but I keep everything regarding religion to myself, and wish everyone else would do the same.
Quote by institutions
The only thing more annoying than a religious person trying to push their beliefs onto you, is an atheist that tries to start a religious debate at every possible chance.

I don't agree with you. If anything I would rather an intellectual debate, rather than a sales pitch.

Also, how often do you deal with Atheist for forcing debates on random strangers with whom they have no connection. I've sat at the Atheist table at my university and talked with people when approached, and held signs with Muhammad depicted on them. However, I have never got in someones way or initiated a conversation.

On the other hand, every day on my way to the business building, I am pestered, with people who are attempting to convert. And not in the way of asking questions, but of approaching you and blocking your path. It's at the end of a pedestrian walk which only about 12 people can walk abreast and right before a set of lights. They block the path and use the area as a trap.

No, I would much rather have re(ligion)-tards hold up signs saying I'll burn in hell and at least stay out of my way

Ohh and on the main topic of this, your personality=/= your ideology. It may be an aspect with an influence, but it will rarely define it. Ex. I'm an atheist, and I also have a great love of reading. I read everything from fiction( Salvatore, tolkien,bible) to political science novels. I personally believe that my inquisitive nature, and love of learning defines my personally much more than what conclusions i draw from my understanding
I'm not suprised atheists are boring people.
RIP Matt Lauer

Because i'd rather pretend you're dead than acknowledge your existence.
Quote by Kensai

Thanks, I never knew what to tell people when they ask me about my religious beliefs until now.

I'm in the same boat, don't care and don't see why I should.
I'm an atheist, and when people hand me religious fliers, I punch them in the face. Fuck Biblefags.

xXxNoxXxGodxXx