whats up people. I know theres a ton of info on the DS-1 out there and ive been reading a ton, but still looking for input.

I recently picked up an old 70s Peavey classic tube amp and to get a heavy rock crunchy tone I picked up a Boss DS1 as it sounded surprisingly pretty good when i tested it - i never liked pedal distortions, but this one sounded decidedly "amp like" at the store. When i got my setup into a band setting and turned things up right away my distortion had the "digital" harsh sound i was accustomed to from pedals....so now im looking for something else..

The Vox Satchurator sounds killer on the videos i've seen - again im getting the impression that it sounds more like amp distortion - more natural. can anyone share their experience with this in a live setting? I'm skeptical of pedals but it sounds pretty convincing so far.
I get a good amount of the crunch already from my classic 50, I can't seem to find a happy place using either of those pedals but I've watched joe on youtube and live and he get's a great sound. I can only think I'm going wrong somewhere or the classic doesn't like pedals. A friend recommended the blackstar HT dual, he reckons as long as you've got a good clean channel it's good but I've yet to try one.
Twidler - I think my classic is a really old model, from what ive seen the newer ones have a more dedicated crunch channel. On this one the only way to get breakup is to overdrive the solid state preamp (tube power stage, SS preamp) - and even then its bluesy at best. I had to sell my gear awhile back during an unemployment stint and i picked this classic up as a cheap tube power source. It does sound OK clean so im hoping like you said i can get a decent distorted tone with the right pedal.

I played a blackstar recently while testing a guitar and it blew me away. So much so that i had the salesguy plug me into something else so i could get a better idea of the guitar! Just don't have the funds for a killer tube amp right now, which is why i'm screwing around with pedals...thanks for the help
i haven't tried it, but i was under the impression that the satchurator was very heavily based on the ds1. If you don't like the DS1, I'd probably give the saturator a miss, kind of thing.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i haven't tried it, but i was under the impression that the satchurator was very heavily based on the ds1. If you don't like the DS1, I'd probably give the saturator a miss, kind of thing.

It's quite a diferent sound to the ds1 imo, I had the ds1 as well not so long ago but didn't really click, I've got the saturator just now but think maybe my amp sucks some of the tone out of it or something. Like I said I watched Joe using it and have come to the conclusion it's just him lol, I reckon he could make most guitar, amp and pedal setups sound good.
why not a TS9 type pedal?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I used to have a DS-1 and now own a Satchurator, they are very different beasts. I've used my Satchurator for months in college earlier this year at high volumes (running through a Fender Bassman mainly) and it just got better as I turned the amp up. One thing I will say about it though is I think it seems very responsive to the kind of amp your put it infront of, for example a Bassman eats it up and vomits out gold, however with my Blackstar the clean channel has 2 voicings (you could say vintage and modern) on the vintage setting it sounds really harsh and tinny, not nice at all, switch to the modern setting and it sounds like it does through the Bassman, awesome. I've tried through some other amps aswell, both tube and SS (marshall vintage modern, tsl100, a little peavey SS) and for the most part it sounds awesome so I'd imagine it'd be fine with your old peavey, but if you can try to try it with your amp first just incase it doesn't sit well with it.

If you can't try it with it first I'd say just get a used one then if you don't like it you can sell it on again and shouldn't lose any money.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
oh ok maybe i was wrong then
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Digital Sounding? the pedal is analog so that doesn't make sense. exactly what peavey amp do you have. is it all tube or just power amp section. keep in mind that you have to change your amp setting etc when turning it up it won't sound the same as it does at a low level.
thanks everyone for the responses. I will give it a go, probably check on ebay or something as suggested.

In an effort to cheaply improve my sound, i picked up a used OD3 to put in the chain, the logic being i can back off the ds1 some and boost it with the OD, which i wanted anyway for clean OD. Sounds promising so far.

momwobobbo - yes, its analog - it just sounded like lousy digital dist to me at high volume - more so with the gain dialed up past 1 or 2 oclock. hoping i can dial it down a few notches and boost with the OD. either way ill probably get the satch here soon. thanks again everyone
Robb - never tried the TS (even though I hear about it constantly) but i was under the impression its more of an overdrive sound, no? or were you suggesting to add it?
Quote by vbshredder
thanks everyone for the responses. I will give it a go, probably check on ebay or something as suggested.

In an effort to cheaply improve my sound, i picked up a used OD3 to put in the chain, the logic being i can back off the ds1 some and boost it with the OD, which i wanted anyway for clean OD. Sounds promising so far.

momwobobbo - yes, its analog - it just sounded like lousy digital dist to me at high volume - more so with the gain dialed up past 1 or 2 oclock. hoping i can dial it down a few notches and boost with the OD. either way ill probably get the satch here soon. thanks again everyone

I very much doubt boosting the DS-1 is going to make it any better. boost is basically the same as turning up the gain knob. putting in more signal through for clipping. Except now you are going to have more gain stages which will probably end up making everything noisy as hell.

if you can solder, buy a kit and mod your ds1.
Quote by joe_k
I very much doubt boosting the DS-1 is going to make it any better. boost is basically the same as turning up the gain knob. putting in more signal through for clipping. Except now you are going to have more gain stages which will probably end up making everything noisy as hell.

if you can solder, buy a kit and mod your ds1.

basically the same yes, but if basically was ok id be fine with any old distortion. i tried the combo so far through a solid state amp (not around my peavey at the moment) and its onboard dist and it definitely changes the character of the distortion for the better by backing off on both (to get the same gain as just onboard gained up), sounds more organic to me. ill post back how it sounds through the ds-1 and tube amp - jamming with some buds tomorrow.

i can solder - are the mods pretty basic? as in, approx how many connections to solder?
Quote by vbshredder
basically the same yes, but if basically was ok id be fine with any old distortion. i tried the combo so far through a solid state amp (not around my peavey at the moment) and its onboard dist and it definitely changes the character of the distortion for the better by backing off on both (to get the same gain as just onboard gained up), sounds more organic to me. ill post back how it sounds through the ds-1 and tube amp - jamming with some buds tomorrow.

i can solder - are the mods pretty basic? as in, approx how many connections to solder?

It depends on the mod. I haven't done a ds1 before so i'm not sure how packed the board is but it was a little tricky with my DS2 which had some solder joints very close to each other.

look up the monte allums mods. i have an sd 1 modded with his stuff and it is really great.
cool, i consider myself about intermediate with the soldering iron, i might try to pull it off. hell, if i ruin the pedal then its time for the satch or better yet a high gain tube amp.

i have to admit, since i've been back to this peavey amp, its been fun feeding the GAS with pedals and whatnot trying to get a decent sound. at worst, ill have a versatile pedal board along with my core sound (whatever it ends up being) when all is said and done.
A DS-1 can be turned into a passable pedal if you mod them and there is a lot of info out there on how to do it. In stock form they are rubbish.
I'll let others recommend a better pedal because I don't use distortion pedals. If I want distortion I use the amp. To get more variation I boost the input with my Gp-8 and use a Quadraverb in the loop as a secondary master volume. That gives me infinitely variable distortion which makes distortion pedals redundant (and I don't like fuzzes).
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
A DS-1 can be turned into a passable pedal if you mod them and there is a lot of info out there on how to do it. In stock form they are rubbish.
I'll let others recommend a better pedal because I don't use distortion pedals. If I want distortion I use the amp. To get more variation I boost the input with my Gp-8 and use a Quadraverb in the loop as a secondary master volume. That gives me infinitely variable distortion which makes distortion pedals redundant (and I don't like fuzzes).

Hey Cath, i got a quadraverb a while ago and while it is awesome fun it is ridiculously noisy. is that normal or is it just like other reverbs and hates being run in front of an amp?
Quote by joe_k
Hey Cath, i got a quadraverb a while ago and while it is awesome fun it is ridiculously noisy. is that normal or is it just like other reverbs and hates being run in front of an amp?

I don't find mine to be very noisy at all, even when I used to run it out front. It is better to run them in a loop because then you can have the input volume turned down. They are a piece of studio gear really so line level is best.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
so i was able to try out the OD-3 with the DS-1 last night in a band setting. It helped slightly, more so with leads and getting some chunk in the palm mute. Dialed in a nice tone at home, of course at volume it didnt work, so back to tweaking of the knobs on both amp and pedals. Then the peavey amp blew a fuse so i had to plug into a solid state bass amp. Things actually improved. The breakup from the peavey at high volume was butchering things. With the bass amp i was able to get a serviceable tone out of the setup

bottom line, I dont think ill ever be fully satisfied with a pedal set up for distortion, at least not with this amp
Try something other than a DS-1 or and OD-3, like a DLS or a WIIO. Those are real amp-like pedals and sound much better than either of those.
Last edited by ACollier at Nov 3, 2011,
Quote by ACollier
Try something other than a DS-1 or and OD-3, like a DLS or a WIIO. Those are real amp-like pedals and sound much better than either of those.

Thanks, I will give those a shot - sounded nice on the clips i checked out, albeit lower gain then i'm looking for. I need to spend some time at GC trying out some of these suggestions.
Update - i replaced the fuse, fired up the amp, sizzling bacon noise ensued followed by the distinct smell of electrical fire. I love it when decisions make themselves...