So, long story short, I was given an Orange Rocker 30 combo as a gift recently, and I don't like it.

I want to like it. I've spent the last few days tweaking it, running it with 3 different guitars, with/without my POD x3, with/without my other stomp boxes, and it is just tearing me apart.

Does anyone that has experience with this amp have any recommendations as far as EQ settings, stomp boxes, or ANYTHING?? The gain on it (while its super ballsy) is a little fizzy for my tastes, and it has this terrible honk that I can't stand hearing on an electric guitar.

I really REALLY want to like this amp. I feel terrible running my $500 POD in front of this $1200 amp for modeling, but the natural tone is just something that I've given up on...
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
oranges do have quite a unique tone... it wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility that you just don't get on with it. Pretty much every time I've tried an orange, my first thought has been, "That sounds awesome, but I don't think any of the music I mainly play would work with that tone..."

EDIT: the speaker's a v30, right? that's probably not helping with the honk.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Nov 1, 2011,
Get some better tubes in it?

Buy a boost for the gain, try an Eq?

Change the V30?

They are a great little amp.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Dave_Mc
oranges do have quite a unique tone... it wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility that you just don't get on with it. Pretty much every time I've tried an orange, my first thought has been, "That sounds awesome, but I don't think any of the music I mainly play would work with that tone..."

That is a really good way to put it.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
That is a really good way to put it.

I agree. That is precisely how I feel about orange. What setting are you using?
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
cheers, guys
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I feel the same way about Marshall amps, they sound great, when someone else is using them. As soon as I have tried to use one live, I just don't like the Hi-Gain that they produce (for my style).
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Thanks for the input everyone. After doing some more testing, along with the advice here, I think its just that I don't get a long with vintage 30s. Its just too mid rangey and brittle to my ears.

I think the best solution in my case will be an external cab, since I've been needing one for a while anyway. (as opposed to just swapping the v30 in the orange).

I have a traynor ycv20 with a greenback in it, and it sounds fantastic. I love the smooth attack and amazing cleans it offers, but the Traynor is el84, and I'm wary of throwing greenbacks at the el34 orange and being dissatisfied.

Would it be possible to use my traynor 1x12 combo as a cab for my Orange rocker 30 to get a better idea of the tone? Or does anyone have any recommendations for other speakers?

As far as tone goes, I'm a big fan of Andy Timmons, Guthrie Govan, etc.... I like the softer attack and compressed tone of a lot of the modern fusion guys, to give yall an idea.

Thanks.
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

I would have thought the Greenback would add too much fizz but I don't have a lot of experience with them. I was thinking more of a higher wattage speaker like a Celestion Classic Lead 80 or G12K-100.

As far as the Traynor goes - how does the current speaker connect? Is it wired into the chassis or does it have a 1/4 insert jack? Is it a 10 or 12" speaker? You could potentially just take that speaker out and put it in the Orange.

You are keeping the Orange right? Because it was a gift?
The problem could be that the speaker just isn't broken in yet if it was purchased new.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
The Traynor does get a little fizzy/farty when its completely aimed, but in a really warm soft clipping kinda way, not brittle like the v30 in the Orange.

As far as I can tell, the greenback is soldered into the chassis, so that may be out of the question...

As far as keeping the amp goes, you hit the nail on the head 311. If it were me personally, I would sell/return this thing in a heartbeat. The moral aspect is the worst part of this whole situation.

I may just give in and shell out the $$$ for a 2x12 cab. I like a good clean tone, with a warm "fluffy" OD on it. Ideally I'd throw some alnico blues in it, but I don't wanna throw too much money at this...
Quote by jackbauer

Quote by guylee

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

I respect your decision to keep it - as the moral thing to do (as hard as that is). Honestly, the only Oranges I really get into are the Rockerverbs but those a different animal.

212 cab will obviously help. Not sure if new tubes would help but you could experiment with some different preamp tubes. JAN Phillips 5751 have a nice smooth distortion to them. They are drop in replacements for say a 12AX7 or 12AT7.

As far as the Traynor goes, you can simply cut the wires on the speaker and yank it out. I bet the Traynor would sound great with a V30 if you ever want to swap those. Just make sure your watts/ohms are matching up to spec.