Hey guys,

Okay so here's the deal. I just started out playing (2 months or so) and I have problems with the fact that when I press my pinky on a note on the low E string, it mutes the D string.

now I discussed this with my teacher and he told me the way I have been holding my guitar was all wrong (which he appearantly missed the last 2 months ) so now that I hold my guitar different, it happens a lot less however it is still happening sometimes.

now I realize that I need to practice more for it to become better but can anyone give me some advice about the placement of the fingers on the strings and a way how to practice this efficiently??
what kind of guitar is it?
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
It sounds like you're not bringing your finger over the top of the strings but more like you're laying across the strings to reach. It's one of those things that happen a lot when you're just starting out(or at least it did to me and everyone I know whose learned to play a stringed instrument). I think you just have to work on making sure your pinky comes over all the strings before you try to fret any string. It's the same with any finger really though.
Yes, I'm from California, yes I like Hockey, no I do not like the Ducks, yes I like the Kings!
In classical position its alot easier to do, but its not very hard to do in the common position. Try to put your thumb on the middle of the back of the neck just as youd do to play barre chords. that lets your fingers have a bigger arch around the front of the fretboard and makes it easier to play individual notes without muting any other notes.

Your teacher probably told you to use the classical position because thumb position is easier to place like that.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
thnx I will try that and focus on the position of my thumb to give the fingers more space, and actually he didn't told me to play in classical position. I was holding the guitar tight to my body and the neck right next to me. so I didn't had enough space for my arm to move properly soIi had to bend my wrist a lot to give the pinky enough height. now he told me how to properly sit down with it and everything goes better every day, picking just got a HUGE boost and I can reach better now. but still not good enough (for what I should be able to do according to the lessons.)