I'm taking a wellness class for my generals in college and my teacher stands at the front of the room saying, "Dirka dirka dirka?" and everyone just sits with this look

At first it was kinda funny, but now it's really annoying. I just don't understand why someone would hire a foreign teacher with a severe accent to teach where the majority of kids are English speaking.

What do you think pit, should we plan a revolt and kick out all the foreign teachers?

EDIT: ^ Obviously I believe in Equal Opportunity Employment, but doesn't Equal Opportunity Employment ensure that the person best qualified for the job gets it. I feel that a major qualification would be to have the ability to communicate efficiently with the students.
Last edited by peaches58` at Nov 1, 2011,
Bigot.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Hide the sound unit close to the front of the room. Give em hell with the remote.

Or alternatively, politely ask, "Mr./Mrs. *name*, would you mind enunciating that better?/speaking slower?/saying that again? Your accent is hard to understand, so please bear with our having to hear it a couple more times to get it."
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Last edited by darkstar2466 at Nov 1, 2011,
We have a spanish supply teacher and she's useless. I agree with you but it seems harsh. There's gotta be loads of teachers from the actual country that would kill for that job.
Quote by slash11896
I picked up my guitar this morning and started playing next thing i know i cant stop playing In the key of A, the first letter or her name, I ended up recording a whole song in A.

Quote by WhiskeyFace
I like women with balls.
Nah. Filtering out those with heavy accents violates Equal Opportunity Employment. It's annoying, but everyone has had to deal with it.
People don't really go to heaven when they die. They're taken to a special place and burned - Sherlock Holmes

Your authority is not recognized in Fort Kickass!

It's not like bullshit, more like poetry.
Yes, kick out all the foreigners because kids can't be bothered to try and understand a different accent. This sounds like a great idea.
Quote by SG_dave
He slightly has a point though.
We had a temp for RE for half a year who was African. No-one understood a word she said. It got to the point where even I ignored her and I was one of the better students in the school.

Well someone sure thinks highly of himself
Quote by smb
Yes, kick out all the foreigners because kids can't be bothered to try and understand a different accent. This sounds like a great idea.

Tried to understand the accent but simply is not translatable.
I had a Chinese calc professor whom I could not understand. And calc is frustrating enough, you know. I just dropped the class.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
I had a temporary teacher from Poland for history my junior year. Her accent was hard to understand for maybe the first week, if that. Deal with it.

Oh, and the fact that she spoke Polish and I think Russian was quite useful since we were studying the cold war, and there was never and "how the fuck do I say this guy's name" shit.
This reminds me of a german prof I had for Analysis. Really thick accent overall, fortunately he seemed concious about it so he kept asking if everything was ok.

You can simply approach your teacher and ask if it is possible to talk a bit slower or repeat something if necessary.
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Steam/XBL Gamertag: Ostinattos

Why not Zoidberg?

Note: Every time someone posts <3 all I see is testicles with a party hat.
I had a russian professor once. I never lol'd as much as I did then. I always thought the weird accent was a movie thing, but f*ck no :p
I think it's great to come in contact with people with different accents, makes it easier to communicate when you're in a foreign country.
That said, if you're having trouble understanding your teacher... maybe ask him/her to repeat what he/she 's saying?
Scientists write papers and books. Engineers make money.
I had a french-african teacher for my Acc. Calc class (think between 1 and 2, with a lot of business models) and it was extremely hard at first, give it time.

I totally understand your frustration, though.
I totally understand. I have a Korean math teacher and no one understands $h!% that she saids or tries to teach.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAHellraiser
Go into Guitar Center and tell them you are willing to spend $3000 on as many Spider and MG half stacks as they can give you.
I get what you guys are saying about asking to repeat/slow down or maybe ask for side help from others.

But, should it have to come down to that. Like I said I'm paying a lot of money for this education I would like to get the most out of it. Without all the b.s. that could easily be avoided.
I've had a few teachers like that. A Hungarian science teacher was particularly bad. Nobody understood, and when we asked her to repeat, it was exactly the same.

Worse are the ones who aren't 100% fluent, so can misunderstand questions, or not understand the textbook wordings of things. (More common in substitute teachers, in my experience).

At the same time, we had a Dutch bloke, and a French-Algerian woman teach when I was at uni, and there were no problems at all.
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
Maybe they have that job because they know the information better than native English speakers who also applied for the job. So if you were to replace your teacher with those guys, you may not understand the material even though you can understand the instructor's speech.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Quote by zgr0826
Maybe they have that job because they know the information better than native English speakers who also applied for the job. So if you were to replace your teacher with those guys, you may not understand the material even though you can understand the instructor's speech.

But are they more qualified to teach it, or communicate their knowledge to their students.

Also I'm assuming someone applying for a college professor job, knows enough information considering they need a masters degree in a certain field to become a professor.
Last edited by peaches58` at Nov 1, 2011,
Quote by peaches58`
But are they more qualified to teach it, or communicate their knowledge to their students.

Sounds like the student is not qualified enough to even be in college. See the teacher after class for help. If you still cannot understand the teacher one on one, you are probably deaf.
ggg1 ggg3

Quote by ErikLensherr
I had a Chinese calc professor whom I could not understand. And calc is frustrating enough, you know. I just dropped the class.

Wow, you don't happen to studying Civil Engineering at TU Delft do you?

Had the same problem, with a Chinese calc professor. The guy spoke really softly too and to top it off he had illegible handwriting.

Edit: I've had 3 foreign English teachers in high school. A Malaysian, American and Canadian. Also had two Americans for some sorry excuse of a subject. Most of those were pretty cool.
Last edited by frankv at Nov 1, 2011,
I have mixed experiences with foreign teachers.
For the first 2 years of High School, we had an Australian immigrant for an English teacher and he was great. Since he was a native speaker, he was easy to understand and furthermore, he was fun, laid-back and had a great sense of humor.
But at the end of the second year, he switched jobs and started teaching at another school. So last week, the new foreign English teacher arived. She's from Turkey and maybe my view on this is a little biased since I'm not exactly fond of Turkish culture. But she is no replacement at all in my eyes. Her pronounciation is somewhat annoying but I wouldn't even mind if she had sufficent knowladge of English. However she does not. I feel that in terms of vocabulary and expressing yourself correctly most of the class is beyond her. Not exactly a good thing when she should be teaching us and not vice versa. And I guess that it just adds to all of this that she is somewhat a drag.
I remember that when we had Chris (the Australian), I was also excited about having a lesson with him as the teacher, especially because I knew that there will be many lulz.
Now, with her, English class is just a pain in the neck. I suppose I'll get used to her in time.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Last edited by JamSessionFreak at Nov 1, 2011,
i got a teacher from india. she's got a heavy accent, but it's understandable enough
International students receive PhD more than American students so it makes sense.
The lake was silent for some time. Finally it said:
"I weep for Narcissus, but I never noticed that Narcissus was beautiful. I weep because, each time he knelt beside my banks, I could see, in the depths of his eyes, my own beauty reflected."
Quote by WaterGod
Tell your teacher to speak 'murican.

I could see TS as one of those kids.

TS it sucks to be in your situation but not many more options. For all you know, Mr/Mrs. Teacher is taking a Public speaking class for their problem or maybe just needs some time with other English speakers to develop an accent. You might just have to wait this one out.
Quote by triface
Guy: I'm wearing female deodorant.
Girl: My apartment is just upstairs.

My Soundcloud
Good tunes and smiles right here
I once had a free class at the local community college for a semester in 12th grade. I took a programming class that I ended up withdrawing from. Couldn't understand much of what the teacher said. He had a very thick Czech/Polish/Eastern European accent.
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
I had a Chinese demonstrator for one of my physics labs who sounded exactly like this and I'm not even kidding... it was so difficult to understand him, I have to wonder how he got the phd through English.
I had a Polish math teacher for my freshman year of high school, and her accent was pretty bad. I had her again for senior year, and her accent was barely noticeable. Sometimes foreign teachers just need time in the classroom getting comfortable with the language. Try giving them a chance to improve.
Member #16 of the "Use Your Fucking Dictionary Club." PM Dæmönika to join.
Last edited by Control_IsDead at Nov 1, 2011,