Man, I've been playing three different PRS for the past two weeks at a local guitar store (those poor people) to try and figure out which is right for me. I LOVE all three but have concerns on them and would love to get an outside perspective.

The first guitar is 25th Anniversary McCarty Narrowfield. Amazing guitar and sound good but the narrowfields concern me. If down the road I wanna change pickups I cant due to the cut. Anyone have any experience with them? What kind of tones are you getting from the if you do? My worry is that they wont sound full.

The second is a 20th Anniversary Standard 22. no concerns really with this. Love everything about it but I would love a hardtail guitar and it is has PRS tremelo Familiar humbuckers and changeable.

The last is a PRS Custom 22. Same deal as the one above just a more recent one. I think it is also a 25th anniversary model.

I play minus the bearish type tones/explosions in the sky. Nothing super "heavy" toned.

I already own a Fender American Deluxe Telecaster and a Gibson ES-339. At one time a had a PRS CE22 but the pickups were too muddy for my taste.

Any advice at all besides not writing such long posts...lol....would be very helpful. thanks!
I'd go with one of the CU22, I'm not a big fan of the McCarty electronics. If your really worried about aving a tremilo, get one of the Tremol-no springs.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I just got back from my local guitar store..where I had about 1/2 an hour to play this

and it was sweet...

I highly recommend it...but its neck is very thick..compared to any ibanez, jackson, schecter even...really fat...

Its probably one of the best PRS's Ive played
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
which pups are in the Standard and Custom 22 you tried?

typically they would both have dragons, which would be the same as your CE22.

but they may have gone to 57/08s for the anny, i'm not sure and cba to check back.

do you know what's in them?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I have knocked out the McCarty. I like the way that the Custom/Standard body is cut. A little slimmer. I think I would only consider a DGT McCarty after research and trying
Actually the Custom 22 and Standard both had HFS Bass and Treble pickups in them....I have no prob switching to the 57/08s after purchase. Ive heard a lot of good things about them. I got them to send me two pictures and noticed something. A stupid mistake on my part....its a Custom 24 and a standard 24.

The custom 24 asking price is 2450 and the standard is 1575 (I cant remeber if prices are against the rules on this forum or not. Ill remove if they are.)

here are two pictures of both of them.
The Standard

The Custom
ya those are 24s.

the only difference is really the finish and the maple cap on the custom.

which one do you like better?

buy that one.

edit: as far as the 57/08s, that's up to you and what you play. they are vintage voiced pups so they may not work well depending on your style(s) genre(s) etc...

i'm a fan of the HFS/BASS. they make for a more versatile guitar imo. ymmv.

edit: also fwiw, i find the increased neck angle on the mccarty makes it more comfortable than the 24. again, it may not matter to you.

edit2: and that's a 20th anny cu24, not a 25th anny.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Nov 1, 2011,
Man IM MESSING UP LIKE CRAZY TODAY.

Gregs1020 whats your view towards the DGT models?
honestly i've not played one, but it's based on a mccarty. i had a mccarty for a long time, great guitar imo once you get the pups out of it. (not a fan of mccarty neck pups, the bridge is fine for vintage up to 80's stuff). mine had BKP nailbombs in it. (note, trying to carry a box labeled nailbombs on a flight = not a good idea just trust me).

what kind of music do you play?
what amp do you use?
pedals or no?
if you use something with "core" in the name for genre, just say how heavy and specify your amp please.
Thanks for the help first!

I play mainly in my church right now. just clean tones no effects nothing, but my own stuff is a lot like American Football, Minus the Bear, Explosions in the Sky, and Radiohead type things (not the heavy distortion...think the In Rainbows cd). Normally clean to light distortion with lots of delays/reverb with tapping and looping. I use an Axe FX II for all effects and amp tones. The only "physical" pedals I use are some loopers and some random pedals that I build.

I have narrowed it down to three different ones now.....which crushed my intial spend cost of 1400 that I wished but I'm getting tired of cycling thru guitars for now.

A new custom 24 for 2295
It has a 59/09 set for pickups

or a new DGT for 2595
DGT has the DGT pickups that everybody seems to love

then last is a 2006 Custom 24 for I think 1750 with what appears to be HFS pickups
cant get a picture of this one up.
go with the CU22. if you could get a 24 but the 22 is good 2 just minus 2 frets. how much r they??
I just pulled the trigger on the Custom 24 on the last one. The guy backed the price down a couple hundred and made me a little more comfortable.

xFilth - Yea that was my dilema that I didn't feel like dropping a thousand more just for a top but 400 dollar difference in pickups that I like, a brand new guitar, and the top works for me.

Thanks everyone for your help!
Quote by jtweito
I just pulled the trigger on the Custom 24 on the last one. The guy backed the price down a couple hundred and made me a little more comfortable.

xFilth - Yea that was my dilema that I didn't feel like dropping a thousand more just for a top but 400 dollar difference in pickups that I like, a brand new guitar, and the top works for me.

Thanks everyone for your help!

that should work great for what you want to do.

congrats! post some pics when you get her home.