Hey guys, I wanna get into recording.

I don't have a decent microphone or an audio interface yet but they're not hard to use. However I'm not sure what software out there is right for me. I wanna be able to record music via a microphone (An SM57) which plugs into an audio interface which goes into my computer via USB. I'm not sure what interface, but it won't be anything fancy as I will be recording it all myself so it will be one instrument at a time.

Can someone suggest me some software. I don't need a million features, I've been looking at Cubase and Sonar and they just look out of my league with a lot of features I don't need. Being able to edit some of the sound would be useful and something fairly straight forward is what I require.

Any suggestions?
Quote by truiteleague
Pc - Reaper
Mac - Logic

I'm on PC, thanks. I'll go look up Reaper. Does it have a trial/free?
Quote by AJScott
Hey guys, I wanna get into recording.

I don't have a decent microphone or an audio interface yet but they're not hard to use. However I'm not sure what software out there is right for me. I wanna be able to record music via a microphone (An SM57) which plugs into an audio interface which goes into my computer via USB. I'm not sure what interface, but it won't be anything fancy as I will be recording it all myself so it will be one instrument at a time.

Can someone suggest me some software. I don't need a million features, I've been looking at Cubase and Sonar and they just look out of my league with a lot of features I don't need. Being able to edit some of the sound would be useful and something fairly straight forward is what I require.

Any suggestions?

I like Sony Acid Music Studio. It's on the entry level, and similar to those you mentioned. It doesn't cost you an arm and a leg and is pretty easy to get started recording. I have a couple of songs that I posted that I recorded with Music Studio at the link below. The covers were all recorded through Music Studio with a backing track for drums, bass, and vocals. The Queensryche cover isn't done, and for some reason the Boston cover I recently posted experienced some drop outs when I mixed it down. It's not finished either (intro and solos are missing) but I wanted to see what it sounded like.

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?songs=1039345&T=1567
Quote by Whiskey Tango
I like Sony Acid Music Studio. It's on the entry level, and similar to those you mentioned. It doesn't cost you an arm and a leg and is pretty easy to get started recording. I have a couple of songs that I posted that I recorded with Music Studio at the link below. The covers were all recorded through Music Studio with a backing track for drums, bass, and vocals. The Queensryche cover isn't done, and for some reason the Boston cover I recently posted experienced some drop outs when I mixed it down. It's not finished either (intro and solos are missing) but I wanted to see what it sounded like.

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?songs=1039345&T=1567

Sounds good, I'll check that out too!
Good cheap USB interfaces: ART Dual Pre or ART Dual Tube Pre. I'd go with the dual tube model if you've got the extra cash for it. The normal dual pre is good too, but it tends to clip sometimes. Both have phantom power and are very clean preamps with little noise (at least in my experience). I own a lot of ART gear and their stuff is cheap but top-notch for budget recording.

Music Studio is ok and Reaper is a very good DAW. I use Sony ACID 6 on my desktop and Acoustic Mixcraft 5 on my laptop. Mixcraft is cheap (about $80) and to me it's about as solid as Reaper is. It comes with some great VSTs and some pretty nice VSTi's.

And a VERY good amp VST: http://www.simulanalog.org/guitarsuite.htm

It's a model of a JCM900 and the sound is just amazing. Best of all: it's free! It also comes with a few effects (the TS model is great) and a Fender Twin 69 model too.