So I just got this new Dean Razorback Biomechanical with Floyd Rose guitar and out of the box there were some problems cosmetically with it. Upon further inspection it seemed to be polishing compound which rubbed off, and some glue or wax from under the pickup tape. Being the picky person that I am (foolishly) I went to pick the little piece of wax or glue or whatever off and it kept getting stringy and not breaking off. So I finally grabbed a box cutter (foolishly again) and tried to very carefully pushing up against the bottom part of the top of the pickup bobbin cut it which it did cut and come off.... thinking back I should have left it I have no amp to try it out today but I read online some pickups are potted in wax and if that was wax I am hoping I didnt take too much off.. also what are the chances I cut the wire that was coiled around the pickup? I really like the way this guitar plays and don't want to have to replace the guitar or pickup..
If you didnt see wire in the wax you cut off it should be okay.
Unless you cut the inner copper thread. Then you buy a new pickup.
I think it's probably the tape you're pulling, it's kinda cloth like and comes away in threads.
How will I know if I did will it just stop working altogether or will it make a weird noise?
Quote by Rustylunchbox
How will I know if I did will it just stop working altogether or will it make a weird noise?

When you connect it to your amp and it either makes sound or doesn't. If it makes weird noises, it's probably due to the one standing behind it.
Quote by KG6_Steven
When you connect it to your amp and it either makes sound or doesn't. If it makes weird noises, it's probably due to the one standing behind it.

Nice lol I just wondered if it would cause microphonic feedback if I had accidently pulled some of the wax off.

[update]: I just plugged into a tuner and tried all three pickup positions and they all worked. I know I am looking into this pretty hard but cut I have cut the wire on one pickup and not on the other since I thought it was 2 individually wrapped single coils and if I could how would I know?
Last edited by Rustylunchbox at Nov 1, 2011,
I doubt you removed enough of the wax to cause it to become microphonic.

Depending on how it's wired, in other words, split coil, hum bucker or single coil, you'd either experience no output in a switch position, or possibly reduced output, or even no change in sound. Unless you got in there and really went crazy, I doubt you did any damage.

Now, remember what your Mom told you about putting things in your ears? Well, the same applies to your guitar pickups. lol
K thanks guys for the input I will never do that again, just one more question since I will have my half stack tomorrow what would it sound like if it did become microphonic? actually one more question I am pretty sure that it isn't split coil and it is a humbucker so is it likely to have no output or low output if it was damaged?
Quote by Rustylunchbox
K thanks guys for the input I will never do that again, just one more question since I will have my half stack tomorrow what would it sound like if it did become microphonic? actually one more question I am pretty sure that it isn't split coil and it is a humbucker so is it likely to have no output or low output if it was damaged?

It wont be, it'll maybe get more hum from stuff around you though but I've had them stripped to the wire and they've still been fine.
If you cut into the winds on the pickup then it wouldn't have any output (sound), or it would short out and sound all sorts of wrong. You'll be completely fine, it will either sound like a pickup or it won't make a sound at all. And trust me, you'll know if it's microphonic or not.

Also, to clarify your knowledge. If it has two coils it's a humbucker, if it has one it's a single coil (duh). You "coil split" a humbucker through how it's wired and it has to be a 4 lead pickup. So I'm not sure what you mean by "isn't split coil but it is a humbucker"

I'm not trying to be an ass, just helping you out
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Oh it's ok I just thought it mean like having the coils wrapped around the whole thing and I was just saying regardless of wiring or layout I am pretty sure that it was just a regular old humbucker would split coil be something they do to higher end pickups?
You can split any bucker as long as it has four wires, some others are wrapped like a big single coil and can't be split.
Oh I think I got it now, I think my Ibanez is split coil. Is it where you can use a humbucker like a single in some switch positions?
Quote by Rustylunchbox
Oh I think I got it now, I think my Ibanez is split coil. Is it where you can use a humbucker like a single in some switch positions?

Yeh, check out places like seymour duncan wiring diagrams or there's one knocking around for steve via's setup, bridge bucker, bridge and middle single coil, middle, middle and neck single coil and then neck bucker.
Well I got to try it today at practice and the pickups worked but they hummed alot even when turned down and even when all the knobs were turned all the way down. Is this normal and also besides getting new pickups is there anyway to remedy it?