Uploaded with ImageShack.us

ok i have uploaded an exersice iam doing out of my music work book.

the quality isnt great but you can see what iam working on.

the exercise is asking me to state if the semi tone is chromatic, diatonic or whole...

There are 8 parts to it the semitones are listed as, and my guesses are:
-F,Gb chromatic
-C,D Whole
-B,C Whole
-D,D# Chromatic
-Ab,Bb whole?
-G,Gb Diatonic
-E,F# Diatonic
-F,Eb diatonic

Is that correct?
Last edited by zamanakhan at Nov 1, 2011,
diatonic and whole is confusing. Considering each interval is 2nd Whole steps and Diatonic steps are the same. However, from my perspective, you have 3 and 6 wrong.
3. B to C is a minor 2nd thus a chromatic interval.

6. G to Gb is dimished 1st thus a chromatic interval.
Not even close... maybe you should read the explanation at the top of that page in that book or look in the last thread you made on this exact topic...

I will copy what I said from the last thread:

Quote by me no more than 4 days ago

There are two types of semitones: chromatic and diatonic. When a semitone contains two notes with the same letter name, it's called a chromatic semitone, and when it contains two notes with different letter names, it's called a diatonic semitone.

This is almost copied verbatim out of the book and explains it perfectly. Also, if you invest $30 you could get the answer book too.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Not even close... maybe you should read the explanation at the top of that page in that book or look in the last thread you made on this exact topic...

I will copy what I said from the last thread:

This is almost copied verbatim out of the book and explains it perfectly. Also, if you invest $30 you could get the answer book too.

I see where i have gone wrong, is this correct:
-F,Gb Diatonic
-C,D Whole
-B,C Whole
-D,D# Chromatic
-Ab,Bb whole?
-G,Gb Chromatic
-E,F# Diatonic
-F,Eb diatonic

I think i have the chromatic and diatonic down but the whole tone is messing with me

-I am reading the explaination and basically what iam getting is, if the tone has the same letter in its name its chromatic, for example a G# and G or C# and C. So a Dflat and a C would also be chromatic right? because a d flat is a C sharp as well?
-Diatonic is a tone that has a different letter, so an A and B are diatonic or C# and D are diatonic
-A whole tone would be going from C to D but not A to B or E to F ?

i would invest in an answer book but i actually want to learn this stuff, the answer book would just make me look back and forth too much.
Last edited by zamanakhan at Nov 1, 2011,
Quote by zamanakhan
I see where i have gone wrong, is this correct:
-F,Gb Diatonic
-C,D Whole
-B,C Whole
-D,D# Chromatic
-Ab,Bb whole?
-G,Gb Chromatic
-E,F# Diatonic
-F,Eb diatonic

B-C is a semitone
E-F# is a whole tone
F-Eb is a whole tone

-I am reading the explaination and basically what iam getting is, if the tone has the same letter in its name its chromatic, for example a G# and G or C# and C. So a Dflat and a C would also be chromatic right? because a d flat is a C sharp as well?

Yes, if a semitone has the same letter name it's chromatic. No Db-C would not be chromatic because it doesn't share the same letter name. It doesn't matter that C# and Db sound the same, they're different things.

-Diatonic is a tone that has a different letter, so an A and B are diatonic or C# and D are diatonic

Kinda, but a diatonic semitone specifically refers to a semitone that has two different letter names.

-A whole tone would be going from C to D but not A to B or E to F ?

A whole tone is two semitones, two different letter names, that is all. C to D is a whole tone. A to B is a whole tone. E to F is a semitone (remember E-F and B-C are both semitones).

i would invest in an answer book but i actually want to learn this stuff, the answer book would just make me look back and forth too much.

I'm not saying cheat, I'm just saying check your answers when you're done.

It seems like you might just need to go back and review some of the stuff that's already been covered in the book. This little thing is not a big deal and shouldn't be this hard, so take your time and really get everything prior to this before you move on (specifically, what a whole tone is, what a semitone is, E-F and B-C, basically just reread page 16).
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
It seems like you might just need to go back and review some of the stuff that's already been covered in the book. This little thing is not a big deal and shouldn't be this hard, so take your time and really get everything prior to this before you move on (specifically, what a whole tone is, what a semitone is, E-F and B-C, basically just reread page 16).

will do thanks for the help, it clears it up a bit more now.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel

I just had AAAAAHHHH moment... i completely understand this now, basically if its only a semitone away it can be either diatonic or chromatic so EtoF is a Diatonic semitone F-F# is chromatic and Eb-F is a WHOLE!!!!!! i was looking as E to F and B to C as a whole tone not a semitone, THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP. It helped but in the end i needed to have my own "Ah" moment.
Quote by zamanakhan

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

ok i have uploaded an exersice iam doing out of my music work book.

the quality isnt great but you can see what iam working on.

the exercise is asking me to state if the semi tone is chromatic, diatonic or whole...

There are 8 parts to it the semitones are listed as, and my guesses are:
-F,Gb chromatic
-C,D Whole
-B,C Whole
-D,D# Chromatic
-Ab,Bb whole?
-G,Gb Diatonic
-E,F# Diatonic
-F,Eb diatonic

Is that correct?

ok...lets define diatonic as that seems to be a source of confusion...your exercises are in the key of C...note the staff...thus the diatonic notes in the key of C are...C D E F G A B

so when you see an interval between these tones they can be considered diatonic...any alteration of the intervals would then apply to chromatic D#-E or whole tones G#-A# but a C-D is diatonic not a whole tone because they are diatonic to the key of C

hope this helps
Quote by wolflen
ok...lets define diatonic as that seems to be a source of confusion...your exercises are in the key of C...note the staff...thus the diatonic notes in the key of C are...C D E F G A B

so when you see an interval between these tones they can be considered diatonic...any alteration of the intervals would then apply to chromatic D#-E or whole tones G#-A# but a C-D is diatonic not a whole tone because they are diatonic to the key of C

hope this helps

I initially thought this. But I think they would've stated in the question whether to consider a key or not.

I think it's just considering each pair of intervals as they are. Also, it's two semibreve's per bar which suggests it's nothing more than an interval identification exercise.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Whoa. That's not what exercise was talking about, it's not in any key at this point, it's just straight intervals.

then the point to identify diatonic (key related) intervals would be..?? how can you do that without a key...thus diatonic...notes within a key. G#-A is cromatic without a key,,,but in the key of A its Diatonic ..
I initially thought this. But I think they would've stated in the question whether to consider a key or not.

dosent the staff signify the key...basic theory is it not..its telling you the key..no shaps/flats = C major..
Quote by wolflen
G#-A is cromatic without a key,,,but in the key of A its Diatonic ..

G#-A is diatonic semitone without a key.
Quote by wolflen
then the point to identify diatonic (key related) intervals would be..?? how can you do that without a key...thus diatonic...notes within a key. G#-A is cromatic without a key,,,but in the key of A its Diatonic ..

All it's asking is to differentiate between diatonic and chromatic SEMITONES. It's not giving a key, it's simply giving an interval that you have to identify as either diatonic (i.e. could exist within a key) or chromatic (would require chromatics to exist within a key). A key, not THIS key. It's just going over basic terminology.