Hey I was wondering if anybody had any ideas on how to handle my current band situations.
You see, I play guitar in a metal band with an insanely awesome drummer, who is basically my definintion of what a musician should be, being open to most kinds of music, and willing to learn things outside of metal.

Our bassist on the other hand, is the complete opposite, he sucks at bass, and wont listen to anything other than br00talz metal, and somehow sees himself as a valued and important member of the band, even though i write all his parts and he hasnt contributed a thing yet. He has such a bad attitude towards everybody that he caused our second guitarist to quit, as well as three other musicians who came before me.

Normally, you could just fire someone like him, but for some reason the drummer sees him as his best friend, and wont do anything without the bassists approval, such as right now, where our guitarist wants to come back, but the bassist wont let him because "he was being a dick". Even though the drummer wants him back, he wouldnt think it would be fair because it would be like "teaming up" on the bassist

Chances are the guitarist (and my good friend) is coming back, but we want to get rid of the bassist, which will be hard seeing as we'll have to get the drummer to agree.

Sorry for the rant, but any suggestions on how to take out the trash?
Quote by AICfreak
avoid where wesman is...unless you like surprise anal <_<......

just jks

no srsly....avoid.

Quote by the bartender
yea I was pretty shocked the when I shot my first one, but I kinda started to like the smell of freshly killed underage girls
Bring up your vices with the drummer and see what he has to say. Or quit the band and ask the drummer and departed guitarist to do another project.
Quote by Dio10101
Bring up your vices with the drummer and see what he has to say. Or quit the band and ask the drummer and departed guitarist to do another project.

Whenever I mention anything about the bassist to the drummer, he just says "yeah" and wont talk about it. Plus me and the other guitarist asked the drummer to do something else with us, and he said it wouldnt be cool to the bassist. Me and the guitarist actually did try talking to the bassist, but he told us he'd kick our ass and that hes the backbone of the band, and other such delusions
Quote by AICfreak
avoid where wesman is...unless you like surprise anal <_<......

just jks

no srsly....avoid.

Quote by the bartender
yea I was pretty shocked the when I shot my first one, but I kinda started to like the smell of freshly killed underage girls
Look, it seems pretty clear.

The drummer is not going to go against the bassist. So the question you have to ask yourself is this:

Is the joy of working with the drummer worth the pain of working with the bassist?

If it is, you accept that the bassist is who he is and just enjoy the other aspects of things.

if it isn't, you tell the drummer that you guys are leaving because you're not willing to play with the bassist anymore, and that you understand that he's not willing to turn on his friend, and that you respect that, but you love playing with him and if he changes his mind he should let you know.

(Notice how this completely absolves him of the responsibility of dumping the bassist - but gives him the opportunity, after a certain amount of time, to join you with it being a slap in the face to the bassist).

Those are your only choices.

One more thing. When it comes up - and it will - simply say that you don't feel like you're on the same page musically as the bassist and that the process of trying to find common ground hasn't been very satisfying.

Don't go into details. Don't badmouth him. If it's a fiction, that's fine, but always walk away letting everyone believe the story that it's musical difference, not that the guy's a bassbowl or a hack or anything else like that.