Hey guys. I've got a copy of a Gibson L6-S that was given to me by a friend because it was too much work for him to get up and going again. So i decided the best place to start was replace the faulty pots. Well, i got a kit for a Les Paul from guitarfetish.com that included the pots, capacitors, input jack and pickup selector switch. I had a friend install all of this but i'm having some issues that i believe came from not wiring it correctly.
Issue 1: Pickups sound the same.
What i mean by this is when i move the pickups selector to the neck position there is absolutely no change in tone. Obviously it's not supposed to be this way. Is it possible he wired it so only the bridge pickup is active so the switch does nothing?

Issue 2: Pots have little/no effect.
So it now has two tone, two volume pots. The tone controls do absolutely nothing. Only one of the volume knobs work. Again, bad wiring?

Issue three: Hum
There is a noticable hum coming from the guitar because there was never a ground ran to the bridge. How much would it cost to have this done in a shop? (ball park range please i know each shop will be different.) Also, would installing active pickups cut the hum out? I was thinking maybe a set of Seymour Duncan Livewires or Blackouts in the guitar to get a better rock/metal tone out of it. I believe it is a 1979 Memphis or Ibanez copy and the sound is just too...vintage for what i need.

Issue 4 (not wiring related): Very old harmonica style bridge
This thing is nearly impossible to intonate which kills me because it's a beautiful player. Anyone know where i could buy a new replacement bridge for the odd harmonica style bridge this guitar comes with?

Any and all help will be appreciated!
Issue 1 I'd say bad wireing
Issue 2 wired wrong I bet
Issue 3 run a ground to the bridge, take it some where if you are unsure.
Issue 4 All the wireing you have done will need to be removed and 25k pots need to be installed along with a 9v battery some where on/in the guitar for actives.

EDIT does it have a wraparound tail piece like a PRS? If so a Badass style bridge will work great. Guitarfetish has them for really cheap.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Nov 1, 2011,
maybe i should clarify, the pickups aren't seymour duncans. GFS included a wiring diagram but i have pretty much zero experience with guitar wiring which is why i'm asking what i should look for and what could cause these things to happen
no wraparound bridge. the guitar is like this one

http://www.rocknrollvintage.com/proddetail.asp?prod=1975gibsonL6sNatural

And thing is there was never a hole drilled to connect the ground to the bridge in the first place which is why i asked. A friend said active pickups would make it so the ground isn't necessary anyways. I have no problem changing the pots out again. I would take it to someone who knows what they are doing haha.

Sorry for the double post
It is really easy to do yourself. look at Seymour Duncan to see their diagrams(easier to understand than the GFS ones) or www.guitarelectronics.com they have nice easy to follow diagrams also.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by shecter guy
no wraparound bridge. the guitar is like this one

http://www.rocknrollvintage.com/proddetail.asp?prod=1975gibsonL6sNatural

And thing is there was never a hole drilled to connect the ground to the bridge in the first place which is why i asked. A friend said active pickups would make it so the ground isn't necessary anyways. I have no problem changing the pots out again. I would take it to someone who knows what they are doing haha.

Sorry for the double post

Yes a Badass style bridge will be a great choice for you. Look at the ones on GFS website.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
hmm i'll check out the GFS bridges and the wiring guide and see if i can find any obvious mistakes. I have to see whether or not i'm keeping the guitar for certain or not first. Moving to California early next year so i might need some extra funds. If that occurs, i'll be sad to see this one go :/
Seymour D diagrams can be found here

Wiring up a guitar is only hard until you try it. Soldering is hardest part. But you can practice that BEFORE you turn to your guitar. Youtube is the greatest tool for learning. soldering

After you get the hang of soldering just follow a diagram that fits your guitar setup. Take you time. Look at the diagram and your parts and get to know where what goes and what it does.

One word of wisdom. Cheap tools are expensive to use. Don't go to walmarts and by solder and an iron. A 30 to 45 watt one from RadioShack or the like will save you time and trouble in the long run. Cuz once you learn this customizing is just a few steps away!

I had an old L6S years ago. I wish I'd never sold that ugly but good playing ax.
I'm an expert on all of them. Even the ones I made up.

Dirt and fertilizer. TS9DX. Fulltone 70's, Vox Brit boost, Mesa V-twin and a DLS. Everything grows better with lots of dirt.