in anyone's opinion how would a russian big muff into a late 70's sunn concert lead driving a cab with 2 eminence swamp thangs and 2 jensen mod12-35 speakers sound?
any better speakers with a... uh... $300 or so budget
those should actually sound about right, good setup.

you can do 2 things for stoner rock:

1) go with sterile spekers with good low end (G12K-100)
2) go with speaker's that will get distorted when driven (G12M-25)

they have their own merits for what they do, some people like to use bass cabs.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Honestly, I think anything with a good thick low end would do you. Beyond that, I can't really say.
pick up a Randall cab with the 2x12" 1x15" speaker combo and change the 12's out for k100's. or just add a 1x15 cab.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
well i've heard the jensen mod speakers before and i've always enjoyed their distorted tone. but i think that might be good. a 4x12 paired with a 1x15. any suggestions on a specific 1x15?
my 15" is an eminence legend. sounds great. relatively cheap, although there are probably quite a few 15"s i haven't tried.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
i recommend building it if you have the proper tools.void free birch plywood $40 a sheet at Home Depot/Lowes, baltic birch $70-$80 (which is better wood), calculate your port size and length google for some software that will help for your. i have often used a PVC tolet flange for the front of the cab, 4" hides under grill cloth. thats me though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I don't think a 1x15 is what your after.A 4x12 paired with a 4x10 would have a much tighter mid sound to it,but still have oodles of low end.If you can really be bothered,do the Homme,and get yourself an 8x10.It's ****ing un-godly.
We recorded C tuned guitar through a big muff into a 230 watt bass head and an 8x10.It was huge.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
well bass head or not i like my concert lead. 200W of fuzz friendly, bassy, mid heavy goodness. I already have a 4x12 so i'll look into getting a 4x10 maybe. or a 1x15. i guess it depends.
Quote by gumbilicious
those should actually sound about right, good setup.

you can do 2 things for stoner rock:

1) go with sterile spekers with good low end (G12K-100)
2) go with speaker's that will get distorted when driven (G12M-25)

they have their own merits for what they do, some people like to use bass cabs.

+1

Either of those in an oversized cab.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
A buddy of mine (I bought his avatar 4x12) used this Music Man 1x15. It was a brilliant cabinet, I wanted to buy it but couldn't jsutify it because I don't even have my doom amp yet
All you really need or want for stoner rock is to sound huge.

A 4x12 or two should suffice.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
why drop the mod12s? i particularly like the jensen mod speakers. actually getting swamp thangs will be the new one. all i know about them is reviews and sound clips
i use a similar setup, look for an ampeg v4 or v2 cab, or an old sunn 4x12.

my v2 was $200, tons of low end, really sounds great with my concert lead, but its freakin huge.
the v4 is much more manageable size-wise.
the sunn 4x12 is in between the size of the v2 and a regular 4x12 cab.
my crate cab is pretty good size. but whoever owned it last blew 2 speakers and the other 2 don't sound all that great either. thats half the reason im looking for speakers. lol
irony: right after an ampeg v4 was mentioned i looked on craigslist and in my area an ampeg v4 was the most recent post.
You want big ones and you want alot of them. That's my philosophy when it comes to doom and stoner.
My gear:
  • Fender American Standard Telecaster
  • Ibanez RG450
  • Laney VC15
  • Electro Harmonix HOG
  • Vox Satchurator
  • Blackout Effectors Musket fuzz
  • Electro Harmonix Pulsar
  • Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport
  • Malekko Chicklett

I'm thinking 4 10s and a 15
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
Quote by xjohnfishx
why drop the mod12s? i particularly like the jensen mod speakers. actually getting swamp thangs will be the new one. all i know about them is reviews and sound clips

I don't like them for heavily distorted tones.
Quote by TheQuailman
I don't like them for heavily distorted tones.

Well i think they sound great with heavy distortion... But I guess when putting together a rig it's all about personal taste and what you think sounds best. the swamp thangs though.... how good are they exactly? they seem to have good reviews but i've always heard reviews are crap.
Quote by xjohnfishx
Well i think they sound great with heavy distortion... But I guess when putting together a rig it's all about personal taste and what you think sounds best. the swamp thangs though.... how good are they exactly? they seem to have good reviews but i've always heard reviews are crap.

I'm liking mine. Swamp Thangs are pretty good with high gain.
I'm gonna throw the Cannabis Rex card.
Gear:-
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall DSL50 (In the process of modding!)
Fender 2x12 Deville
Marshall 1960 (V30's)
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson SG Special
Fender 'Marcus Miller' Jazz Bass

My Band
Juturna

to be honest my b-52 ls100 gets pretty good tones very reminiscent of the sword
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
I dunno if the cannabis rex is that good for stonery stuff, the cones made from hemp, it sounds pretty unique, but from what ive heard its pretty midrangey and nasal.

G12k100, g12h30, emi wizard...
I've heard the same thing about the cannabis rex. I guess the hemp cone idea might appeal especially to stoners though. XD
I always figured I would get a Cannabis Rex for when i get my Classic 30. Thoughts?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
I love my Cannabis Rex... But I'm using it in a Blues Junior for cleans to mid gain... Definitely not a stoner rock set up, other than the play on words at least.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!