Hey guys.. The other day i realized that i wanted to get a much brighter clean sound then i have right now. My main amp is a peavey 6505 (amazing distortion but the clean is a little ehh) and i usually use an american fender strat. Any suggestions on what pedals i should try out?
btw the sound im trying to achieve is similar to Craig Nicholls or John Frusciante tone
why are you even asking
obviously an mt-2
Fender Deluxe Player Strat
Fender Musicmaster
Takamine EAN10C
B-52 AT-100
Jet City JCA20H
MXR Phase 90
PolyTune Mini
Strymon El Capistan
Quote by thrashdeth
I love a Dimebag tone just as much as anyone else. I'm Definitely considering a spider.
Pedals are completely external - they can't go into your amp and change your sound. They just layer on top of whatever your amp is putting out.

But you might have luck combining an EQ pedal and a Chorus of some sort. I personally like the Boss GE7, and the Hardwire Chorus.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I was about to suggest a 15 or 31 band EQ. It really helps me fine tune my sound to what I want.
Quote by chris.niziolek
I was about to suggest a 15 or 31 band EQ. It really helps me fine tune my sound to what I want.

Personally I think using a 31-band for anything other than tuning a room is a little ridiculous, but whatever works for you...

+1 on the EQ and chorus. Maybe a little reverb as well. You may be thinking brighter now, but you'd be amazed what a little window dressing can do for even a tone that you think isn't so great.

EDIT: Apparently I love the word 'little'
Last edited by Wolffgang at Nov 1, 2011,
Quote by Juared
why are you even asking
obviously an mt-2

Why would you put distortion through a great tube amp like that? Especially the MT2(very mediocre distortion). A good OVERDRIVE pedal would be good, and for the cleans add a bbe sonic maximizer. And maybe a chorus pedal.
Quote by jac254
Why would you put distortion through a great tube amp like that? Especially the MT2(very mediocre distortion). A good OVERDRIVE pedal would be good, and for the cleans add a bbe sonic maximizer. And maybe a chorus pedal.

you clearly haven't played the mt-2 with the gain at 0 and volume at 10. amazing clean tone. only thing better is probably my steel string singer.
Obviously, you need this or this. Actually, you need both. My point is, a new amp will probably be your best bet for that. You could also increase your pot values, but that would make you brighter all around
Last edited by ACollier at Nov 2, 2011,
Quote by joe_k
you clearly haven't played the mt-2 with the gain at 0 and volume at 10. amazing clean tone. only thing better is probably my steel string singer.

Can't detect if this was sarcasm or not. If it isn't I'll ask my girlfriend to return my MT-2 and try it out.
Quote by jac254

Overdrive = distortion.
Quote by ACollier
Overdrive = distortion.

Overdrive =|= Distortion. There is a difference. The sonic maximizer is a good suggestion as is an eq although anything more than a 10 band seems about the same as suggesting you buy a Dumble-(pointless).

Also, what tubes are you using? You could probably increase your headroom by changing tubes...
I'd think that the first suggestion that makes sense for the OP has nothing to do with getting new equipment so much as using the equipment they already have. You want a brighter sound? Turn up the treble knob. Or if it has a presence knob, turn that up.

But if this isn't something you think can be done with your amp, then the EQ pedal suggestion works.
Quote by Smcash
Overdrive =|= Distortion. There is a difference.

mm? and what exactly would that difference be, exactly? tip: you can't say overdrive is low-gain and distortion is high-gain, because that's not accurate.
Quote by Smcash
Overdrive =|= Distortion. There is a difference. The sonic maximizer is a good suggestion as is an eq although anything more than a 10 band seems about the same as suggesting you buy a Dumble-(pointless).

Also, what tubes are you using? You could probably increase your headroom by changing tubes...

Quote by NakedInTheRain
mm? and what exactly would that difference be, exactly? tip: you can't say overdrive is low-gain and distortion is high-gain, because that's not accurate.

Overdrive and distortion are interchangeable. However, personally, I use overdrive to mean soft clipping distortion, and distortion to mean hard clipping.

Although I use that pretty loosely. I assume that Smcash was doing the same.

The sonic maximiser is a horrible marketing gimmick. I wouldn't recommend it at all
RIP Gooze

cats
Overdrive and distortion are interchangeable. However, personally, I use overdrive to mean soft clipping distortion, and distortion to mean hard clipping.

I think this usage is pretty common, even often reflected in how pedal companies decide to label their pedals. The pedals refered to as "overdrive" usually do have more soft clipping characteristics than the ones refered to as "distortion".
I'd look at EQ and chorus pedals. And maybe a little bit of delay.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
I thought the 6505 was the amp everyone recommended for 00ber br00tz and sh1mmering cl3anz... I thought everyone and their brother and their milkman needed a 6505 because it was the greatest amp ever made... you lied to me, UG. You LIED.
Quote by Helicopters!
I thought the 6505 was the amp everyone recommended for 00ber br00tz and sh1mmering cl3anz... I thought everyone and their brother and their milkman needed a 6505 because it was the greatest amp ever made... you lied to me, UG. You LIED.

Nah, that's the 5150 III
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by ThisIsWar21
John Frusciante tone

Good luck. If getting that kinda tone is even remotely important then I hate to say it but you really do need a new amp!
not sure if srs...
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
A pedal is not going to make the cleans on a 6505 any cleaner.

The MT-2 is a big piece of SHIT. You are better off slashing your speakers.
The BBE Sonic Maximizer is piece of shit. Its basically a 2 band EQ. Don't waste your money on it. With a crap amp, it may help. With a quality amp, its worthless.

Brighter cleans?
EQ'ing your amp may help.

You want great cleans?
Get a Vox AC30.

Distortion is like overdrive on steroids.