View poll results: Which one?
New Ibanez RG350DX
12 44%
BC Rich Warlock NJ
3 11%
Schecter Diamond
12 44%
Voters: 27.
I need a guitar for just a little while, about 6 months or so and I'm thinking about buying a guitar used.
Style: Play Blues to Classic Rock to Metal
Choices:
-A 1 month old (apparently new) Schecter Diamond Series:
Pros:
*Passive Duncans
*Mahogany Body
*Coil Tap (Yeah Baby!)
Cons:
*Seller hasn't specified which model he is selling
*Pretty damn expensive

-New Ibanez RG350DX
The guitar is a bit....meh...

-A BC Rich Warlock NJ used 3 years
Pros:
*No Idea, sounds like a good guitar
Cons:
*3 Years old, don't know what condition that licensed floyd rose is in...
*Made out of Chesswood (wtf is that???)

Any ideas?
Amp: 30 Watt Marshall MG30FX

Thanks
Quote by Pac_man0123
I wouldn't buy any of them, honestly. They're all a bit "meh" and you can probably find a better guitar for that price range.

Also prepare to get 30 people telling you to buy a new amp first...

I personally hate the amp myself, it was however the best amp I could get at my price range at the store...
get a new amp even before CONSIDERING buying a guitar.

I'm sorry but it is where most of your sound actually comes from.

You can by a friken godly PRS Hollowbody and it will still sound like gargled crap through an MG.
Quote by mcraddict81592
If you need to kill a man with a 9v adapter? I say strangulate. Or swing the heavy end around and aim for the temple, all depends on your style.

FrankenBee Build
Quote by Jarrodthebobo
get a new amp even before CONSIDERING buying a guitar.

I'm sorry but it is where most of your sound actually comes from.

You can by a friken godly PRS Hollowbody and it will still sound like gargled crap through an MG.

Thing is, bro: I don't have a guitar atm. I'm getting a 30 or 75W Vypyr in about 6 months or so. Need a guitar for now.
what guitar do u have now, and what dont you like about it?

really glad u took the first step in seraching for a used one first but there are going to be much better for the price.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
The rg350 if it has the zr2 trem would be good. As long as you like the neck profile. The stock pups are going to be fine through your rig. But as always there are better guitars out there for that kinda money. Assuming $400 ish.
Playability/quality-wise you'd probably be happy with any of the ones you mentioned.

However, if you're going to try to get rid of it when you're done with it (since you said you only need it for 6 months or so) then I'd definitely go with either the Schecter or the Ibanez. They'll be A LOT easier to sell used later on. I see "pointy" guitars like the Warlock sit forever on c-list around here. They're very specific to metal, so there are less potential buyers for them than traditional-looking guitars. Generally speaking, the Schecter or the Ibanez will appeal to more players so they'll be easier to sell.

That's been my experience anyway...
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
Of the guitars listed, the Schecter sounds like it'd be the best guitar. It holds value extremely well and feels quite good to play. Word is out on the pickups though, I've only had the chance to play it unplugged.

Ibanez's RG350 has the Edge 3 trem (unless it's a 2011 model) which is generally found to be crap. Also, the INF pickups are quite bland.

BC Rich Warlocks are a b*tch to resell due to their specific demographic, and the lower-end models (with the licensed Floyds) don't hold their tuning for more than a millisecond.

EDIT: I just read you currently have no guitar, so the NEW AMP advice can wait. You should still start saving for one when you get your new guitar, though.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Last edited by PsiGuy60 at Nov 2, 2011,
Chesswoods is like basswood I hear.

I got my b.c. rich used and it's alright, despite the fact the last owner put it through some abuse.
Out of those, easily the Schecter.

But we could help you a lot more if you gave us your budget and location.
aah...location is a bitch...I'm leaving for Uni in the States in 6 months or so, Which is why these are more or less my only options... The schecter seems to be the best band for the buck, cause the RG350 has an Edge III.
God bless America, can't wait to get home
Quote by EspTro
what guitar do u have now, and what dont you like about it?

really glad u took the first step in seraching for a used one first but there are going to be much better for the price.

No guitar now...just an amp and an acoustic that seems to be filling my thrash metal needs. I never realized how hard it is to play Master of Puppets on an acoustic.
lol ok in that case, the ibby is a pretty decent guitar. but search around more for a good deal
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
The Schecter is a C-1 FR. I used to have one and it was a great guitar, and the generic active pups sounded better then some EMG's. Though the floyd system did end up crapping out on me after about a year and a half. The Ibanez is also pretty good, nice feel, but the neck is a little to smooth at some times. Haven't had a single problem with the trem yet.

What are the prices of the guitars btw?
Quote by Ghold125
The Schecter is a C-1 FR. I used to have one and it was a great guitar, and the generic active pups sounded better then some EMG's. Though the floyd system did end up crapping out on me after about a year and a half. The Ibanez is also pretty good, nice feel, but the neck is a little to smooth at some times. Haven't had a single problem with the trem yet.

What are the prices of the guitars btw?

The Ibanez is about $385, the Schecter at $450 and the Warlock at $330 more or less.
These are more or less reasonable over here...

Edit: I found a brand new Cort EVL-X4 at $250. Looks decent. The price is a little suspicious, It may be a fake. I'll go and check it out.
BTW has anyone seen fake passive EMG's?
Last edited by wammybarnut at Nov 4, 2011,
Quote by wammybarnut
The Ibanez is about $385, the Schecter at $450 and the Warlock at $330 more or less.
These are more or less reasonable over here...

Edit: I found a brand new Cort EVL-X4 at $250. Looks decent. The price is a little suspicious, It may be a fake. I'll go and check it out.
BTW has anyone seen fake passive EMG's?

Can't say I've heard of fake EMGs, but I've seen more than my fair share of companies that take cheap pickups and give them an EMG-style housing to look more appealing to the "metal" crowd.

However, the EVL-X4 comes with passive EMGs... so I don't think you have much to worry about there.

$250 sounds about in the right price range to me for a Cort, but I don't know what that specific model costs new.
Quote by Pac_man0123
Can't say I've heard of fake EMGs, but I've seen more than my fair share of companies that take cheap pickups and give them an EMG-style housing to look more appealing to the "metal" crowd.

However, the EVL-X4 comes with passive EMGs... so I don't think you have much to worry about there.

$250 sounds about in the right price range to me for a Cort, but I don't know what that specific model costs new.

Thing is mate, 200 dollar guitars cost over 400 bux here...thats where I have a problem... Why is a guitar being sold at its actual price and not at a really high price.

You know what they say...If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is...
Quote by wammybarnut
Thing is mate, 200 dollar guitars cost over 400 bux here...thats where I have a problem... Why is a guitar being sold at its actual price and not at a really high price.

You know what they say...If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is...

Ah, my apologies; I didn't know where you live.

I understand your apprehension to the Cort now. It's always better to err on the side of caution.
Quote by Pac_man0123
Ah, my apologies; I didn't know where you live.

I understand your apprehension to the Cort now. It's always better to err on the side of caution.

You said it boss.
Quote by wammybarnut
You said it boss.

Well I'm not going to tell you what to do, but if your gut says no then it's usually best to go with that.

However, there is the occasion where you get a really good deal.

Like I said, go with your gut,
My gut says that every guitar i touch is probably counterfeit, this country is famous for its Chinese ripoffs. Then again, I don't need a really fancy guitar, just something to last me for 6 months. I don't mind playing metal on an Strat copy, I just need some distortion. I've reached the point that I'm actually sick of playing Nothing Else Matters or Lake of Fire...