Hello there!

I've been wondering for a few days that.. Are amps made in China really that bad if they can be pricy too? I mean, Peavey 6505+ 112 is made in China, which retails around 500 euros here in Finland while also Laney LC50-112 is made in China and retails around 700 euros. I know that they're two totally different amps, but I'd like to know if some of you could enlighten me about the details.

Also, I would like to know what kind of an amp would fit me...

I play: Heavy metal, Thrash metal, some melodic death metal
Sound I like: Vintage death metal sound, more than decent cleans (so 2-channel amp), preferably with reverb and each channel having their own EQ.
EDIT: Bands like Sentenced, Death, Carcass and then also Black Label Society, Slayer, Megadeth
Type: Most likely combo, should have the ability to connect to an external speaker.
Price: 750 euros max.
I will definitely go used, no question about it. Which reminds me..

What do you think of a Marshall JCM2000 DSL401? Made in 2008 or 2009, has not had the issue of overheating, which is what I read from various threads. This guy here in Finland is selling one for 480€... They sell new for like, 850€. Think I should just get this one? I have the ability to try the amplifier, I just don't like to try anything before I have the money..
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke at Nov 2, 2011,
Quote by Sakke
I've been wondering for a few days that.. Are amps made in China really that bad if they can be pricy too? I mean, Peavey 6505+ 112 is made in China, which retails around 500 euros here in Finland while also Laney LC50-112 is made in China and retails around 700 euros. I know that they're two totally different amps, but I'd like to know if some of you could enlighten me about the details.

truth is most amp makers design the amp in their native country, then implement the prototypes there as well. then some engineers decide how the production model will be made (PCB layout, parts to be used, etc) and derive the 'spec' for the amplifier. after the spec is defined then a factory is chosen to make the product.

so the factory that makes the amp is chosen on their ability to deliver quality product in the volume required. it is not uncommon for 'better' amp makers to have their own QA guys down their assuring end quality of the product.

so really, the whole process is tied together. if you are Orange (high end amp makers) and you want high end amps, then you design and test the amps in England and then find a good manufacturer and test the end product for quality. if you are blackstar and you are trying to put out some affordable amps, then your design and choice of manufacturer will reflect the desire to keep costs low and QA won't be much of a big deal there.

Quote by Sakke
Also, I would like to know what kind of an amp would fit me...

I play: Heavy metal, Thrash metal, some melodic death metal
Sound I like: Vintage death metal sound, more than decent cleans (so 2-channel amp), preferably with reverb and each channel having their own EQ.
Type: Most likely combo, should have the ability to connect to an external speaker.
Price: 750 euros max.
I will definitely go used, no question about it. Which reminds me..

sounds like you'd want a 5150 or 6505.

Quote by Sakke
What do you think of a Marshall JCM2000 DSL401? Made in 2008 or 2009, has not had the issue of overheating, which is what I read from various threads. This guy here in Finland is selling one for 480€... They sell new for like, 850€. Think I should just get this one? I have the ability to try the amplifier, I just don't like to try anything before I have the money..

i'd play it first. i have played a few JCM2000's and i just don't really like them, but some people rave over them. i'd say try it and see if you like it.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
^Yes, I will go try one out.. Thanks gumbilicous for your very enlightening post.

Don't 5150 and 6505 have a shared EQ? Besides, haven't seen one for a good while under 800 and that's only a head, then I'd need a cabinet too, that's why I'd like to get a combo.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Quote by Sakke
Don't 5150 and 6505 have a shared EQ? Besides, haven't seen one for a good while under 800 and that's only a head, then I'd need a cabinet too, that's why I'd like to get a combo.

not sure about the EQ thing, i have only played a 5150 a few times. i mainly recommended the amps from how much everyone else seems to like them in the genre's you want to play.

if want to play heavier music, i'd strongly recommend a closed back cab. the open back will be a bit louder and it'll project better. the closed back will have more low end, and usually a hard punch/attack at the cost of a bit of volume and projection. i am not saying open back won't cut the mustard, but most 'heavier' players like closed back cabs.

peavey is pretty known for using 'undesirable' speakers as well. something like a large 2x12 (like an avatar contemporary model) with high-power-handling speakers (like G12K-100's or a V30 with a G12K-100) will get you a very desirable metal tone.

-ae
^Yeah well, I've thought to get a cab loaded with Celestion V30s or even with Heritages or the like from other manufacturers. Thing is, I don't really like using ridiculously high-gain, I tend to use less than the artists I like. I do like getting some bottom-end, but I don't really like the scooped mids stuff and all that..

I have pretty much all knobs in 12 o' clock position on my friend's Marshall Valvestate model 8080 in the rehearsal room, then turn up the bass a bit to my liking, mids to like 3 o'clock and gain to 4 o'clock, having OD2 on. The amp is pretty much open back, but I don't remember the speaker that is in the combo.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard

Well based on the bands you listen to you might do best with a used Ampeg VH140c/Crate GX130c. It's solid state but it's what all the death metal guys of the early 90's used.

The 6505 will nail the old Carcass Heartwork tone perfectly, and possibly BLS stuff if tweaked, but I don't think it would be good for the other band's you mentioned (it's a bit too modern voiced). You could try something like a Blackstar HT-40 or HT-60, that might do the job. Preferrably for your style something with EL34's would be perfect.
guess what, no matter where the amp says its made, under manufacture laws in the US, u can label where it was last assembled.... some clothing manufacturers had shirts made in china, then shipped to france to have 1 button sewn on and labeled "made in france"

but im scaring you ofcourse.

also note the chinese 6505/5150 and the american ones sound pretty different. and im going to say this as a new fan of CRATE.....

blue voodoo all the way. u can find them dirt ass cheap and they sound just amazing. i have the 3 channel 150w head and its just great for everything.... gets really brutal, doesnt overpower on gain, great EQ section etc...

only thing is that it might not sound that amazing as im telling you because i had mine re-tubed with JJ's (power and pre). old ones were shot
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
assuming it sounds like the american-made ones, the 6505+ combo is what you want.

I didn't think the lc series did high gain tones all that well.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^Thanks for the comments, guys, but I only like the sound of vintage death metal, not really playing it myself, ... Didn't know they really used those amps though, so thanks for enlightening me about that too.

^Ian_The_Fox, yeah the HT series 40watt or 60 watt could work, only if I had not found me not liking them There's a 40 watt one in the store near me.. I really wasn't pleased with the clean sound.. Might be the fact that the ISF knob affects a bit too much. I have HT-1 at home and it really is a good home amplifier, but that's pretty much about it. I could use it at rehearsals too, but I don't think that it would outshine my friend's Valvestate.

^EspTro, 150w sounds really huge. Though I don't know what's the real fact behind the dB difference of 50w and 150w, but I think I'm more of going for a combo.. Something between 30 to 60 watts.

I think I'm more into playing some lighter stuff.. and I thought that when I play the gainier stuff, I could get a distortion pedal for that. I'm going to try the JCM2000 as soon as the seller messages me back and I need to "ready" my ear for that.

^Dave_Mc, at least various youtube videos have given me the picture that the LC has enough gain for the stuff I play the most. Since I'll be upgrading my guitar with EMGs later on, I think they'll give me a bit of a boost to my sound too.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard

Quote by Sakke
^Thanks for the comments, guys, but I only like the sound of vintage death metal, not really playing it myself, ... Didn't know they really used those amps though, so thanks for enlightening me about that too.

why not go for something vintage then? i have picked up quite a few jems that have awesome vintage metal (like my sunn 1200S music man hd-150). sounds like you're in europe, can you find any older marshalls, oranges, laneys, matamps or hiwatts?

any of those could be real awesome for your purposes.

also, if you are into older metal, then maybe a G12M-25, G12H-30 or G12-65 might be more your tastes for speakers. i personally like old 70's eminence 1228K's or squarebacks for that sound and you can find those speakers pretty cheap in the states (sunn and music man used the 1228K as OEM, ampeg and music man used the squarebacks as OEM).

-ae
Quote by Sakke

^Dave_Mc, at least various youtube videos have given me the picture that the LC has enough gain for the stuff I play the most. Since I'll be upgrading my guitar with EMGs later on, I think they'll give me a bit of a boost to my sound too.

I dunno, i just didn't really like its higher gain tones. with that extra boost kicked in, it was very hard-edged sounding, almost like a cheap pedal.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I dunno, i just didn't really like its higher gain tones. with that extra boost kicked in, it was very hard-edged sounding, almost like a cheap pedal.

^Oww... Maybe the youtube guys didn't just use the gear as provided, that sounds harsh.

And trying older Marshalls and stuff.. Well, would be possible, but granted they would go very much off my budget..plus that I would have to travel a long way to just try them and I don't have a car :/

While looking at the used gear site for finnish musicians, I found only a few JCM800s, one JCM900 and then a Peavey 5150 head.. But they're all out of my price range since I'd need a cab too. Guess they're either priced harshly or then I just can't afford vintage right now
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard