Well, I just started playing bass after playing guitar for 4 years
(I always wanted to start on playing bass)

But anyway, I use finger style for playing bass
I'm setting up a band, and for the time being we're going to playing Pop-Punk shizzle like Bowling for Soup, the Offspring, All time Low, You me at Six
(as drunk people at Uni will appreciate it more....and so will the ladiessssss )

Joking aside
As I said I am going to use finger style
I know many pop-punk bassists use a pick (for speed maybe....or definition...I'm not sure)

But basically, finger style for pop-punk, is that still the whole brushing the strings?
And in order to work up speed for it, is that just going to be tedious speed drills?

Thanks for any help

EDIT:
And anchoring-wise....is the top of a pickup a good idea?....or should I anchor my thumb above the string I'm playing? (would I put my thumb on top of my pickup for when playing the Low E string?)
Last edited by Highelf04 at Nov 2, 2011,
where you put your hand and most of your technique is preference. The pickup is a common middle ground (and it is in the middle) gives you a best of both worlds tone. towards the bridge becomes more treble oriented and stands out, the strings vibrate less this direction and have a "taught" concentrated sound to me, and a lot of pick players play here to accent it (see Nikki shits - Motley Crue). Other bass players play at the neck or even slightly on the neck (mostly with fingers), It gives a more thumpy sound, or when played aggressively a thick percussive tone as the strings quickly jounce off the last of the frets and neck (Geezer Butler - Black Sabbath). Th middle tends to be a safe place, and sounds great, and tends to favor a broader range of styles and EQ preferences. Just practice playing fast and precise, when I first started I'd play too hard and hook my fingers under the strings and they'd stick at the pole pieces and pop!

Edit: Picks are aggressive and many people use it in that genre. But fingers are too, I always use my fingers even on guitar, (not hating on pick users!) but most music I play is aggressive and unless it's a slow or calm bit I don't brush the strings, I punish them, my index and middle finger are fists and the strings just insulted me. Speed drills, practice songs slow and speed them up etc.
Last edited by askrere at Nov 2, 2011,
For punk I almost always have my thumb on the string above so I can really play harder and near the bridge will be more treble-y so that's where I usually play. And yup, metronome speed drills.
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
Okay, thanks for the help guys

For the time being I'll use a pick when practicing with my mates
When I have a spare moments METRONOME DRILLSSSSSSSSS

then get me some woman....
on a serious note....metronome drills
Thanks guys
Quote by Highelf04
Okay, thanks for the help guys

For the time being I'll use a pick when practicing with my mates
When I have a spare moments METRONOME DRILLSSSSSSSSS

then get me some woman....
on a serious note....metronome drills