I love the sound bands like The White Stripes, early Rolling Stones, The Black Keys and the newer Foo Fighters albums get. They all used 4 to 8 track recorders. I want one. I would love to be able to get that raw sound. Any recommendations on which one to get? I don't want an overly high tech or fancy one, just a good quality one to get the job done.

I would much prefer a standalone one. I see you can get ones that can burn the music onto disc without the use of a computer? I would like to be able to rely on just the recorder instead of needing a computer.

My band consists of one vocals, one acoustic guitar and one electric guitar, but I'd like to have the ability to add other tracks if needs be for backing vocals, maybe another guitar if needs be and possibly percussion sometimes. The ability to transfer to a PC would be ideal if it doesn't have a CD burner.

So what'd be the best one for the job? I want to spend a max of £200 if possible.
For that budget you'd get a used Fostex VF-80 on eBay, I used to have one until recently and it always served me well - had it about 10 years with no issues.

Easy to use and plenty of effects & EQ for most home recording projects. The only downfall of them is that you have to save tracks 7 & 8 for creating the final mix, but that's easily remedied with a bit of track bouncing. There was also a 16 track version of it which you could probably afford to avoid that problem.

If you go for one of those, just make sure you get one with the CD burner fitted, it was an optional extra when they were released and these days the burner is more expensive than the multitracker itself!

Zoom and Tascam also make good kit which you should be able to find in your budget. Other brands to watch out for are Boss & Korg, but they tend to be a bit more expensive.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
That looks good - I've used a few Tascams over the years and had no complaints about them, and my current kit is a Tascam which is awesome. Never used that particular model, but assuming it's up to the standard of their other kit it should serve you well.

All you'd need apart from that is a mic for the vocals, speakers/headphones and all the relevant cables.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
That looks good - I've used a few Tascams over the years and had no complaints about them, and my current kit is a Tascam which is awesome. Never used that particular model, but assuming it's up to the standard of their other kit it should serve you well.

All you'd need apart from that is a mic for the vocals, speakers/headphones and all the relevant cables.

Would I not need to mic my amp and the other guitar (an electro-acoustic)? And I assume the headphones because the recorder doesn't have speakers?
There are 2 ways of doing it - you can use your mic to record your guitars, amps etc. or you can run a lead from your amps line out into the multitracker. The electrocoustic can be plugged directly into the multitracker.

Mic'ing your amp can create a fuller sound, but if you're just recording at home it can be easier to plug directly into the multitracker to avoid recording other noises like telephones etc.

I sometimes switch between mic'ing my amp & plugging straight in to see which version I prefer when doing the final mix, but plugging straight in can be easier so I usually just do that until I'm ready to create a final version of whatever I'm writing.

And yes, the headphones are because the multitracker doesn't have it's own speakers. If your home stereo has an aux input you could also run a cable from the headphones socket of the multitracker and use the stereo for playback etc.
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Awesome thanks for your help man! I can't wait until I get it Doing exactly what all my favourite guitarists did. Pretty inspiring!
No worries

Just remember that recording is a skill which needs practice, just like playing guitar is. Don't expect to get it all right first time - I always say you can work out what order I mixed my first few songs in by the quality of the mixing!
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Of course, I'm not expecting to be able to have everything nailed in a day, but I'm looking forward to learning it. I'm probably gunna save up some money so I can get some decent mic's and get everything all at once.