I've seen this discussion before, but is there a downside to start playing drums on an electric drum set?

I don't have enough room for an acoustic set, and the noise would be too much for everybody else around, but I still want to learn to play drums. Transitioning from an electric set to an acoustic set wouldn't be such a bother, would it?
Quote by Kill A Kitten
You know that old saying: "Men who play bass in the band have the largest genitalia." Well, it's the same for women.
It depends on what you're buying.

I feel like going from mesh heads to an acoustic set is kind of a downgrade, feel wise. Mesh heads are so bouncy that playing on them is almost effortless. However, going from rubber pads to an acoustic set is a huge upgrade. Rubber pads feel horrid IMO.

In both cases, though, real cymbals are SIGNIFICANTLY better, because they have much more play in them. Beating rubber cymbals is just not realistic at all.

As far as sounds go - The newer cheap sets are actually quite good on what sounds they come with. Certainly not as high of quality as something like a Roland TD-10/12/20, but for the price you can pick up a used TD-4K for now, you'd be hard pressed to put together a better sounding acoustic set for the price. Hell, even the Alesis DM series are pretty nice for the money. Not to mention - If you plan on recording, editing MIDI is much more simple (and cheaper) than using mics. Plus, you can trigger whatever drum program you want for sounds that are higher quality than anything your module can provide.

That being said, I used to have a Roland TD-10 set, all top of the line Roland mesh drums and Pintech Visulite cymbals. The only thing I miss about it, is its compact size and how easy it was to record. There's just something more gratifying about playing an acoustic set for me
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Good answer, MatrixClaw, but my problem is that I can't get an acoustic set, my parents and brother would kill me.
Quote by Kill A Kitten
You know that old saying: "Men who play bass in the band have the largest genitalia." Well, it's the same for women.
Honestly, starting out on an electric kit may present the couple minor issues stated above, but for getting down rudiments, practicing whenever you have the time, instead of while everyone is awake, and being able to play to songs through headphones without having to shell out for the studio type will all just benefit you in the long run.

There are a lot of traditionalist drummers out there that will knock electric kits just for what they are. But if you're just starting out, think of it as an advanced version of a practice pad. Besides, it will be good to have down the road, because you can either add it to an acoustic kit, or use it for good quality home recordings.
Days go on forever
But I have not left your side
We can chase the dark together
If you go then so will I