Not sure if this goes in EG or here, so here goes:

I know the majority of the sound you get is by tapping right, or "it's all in your technique, etc., but I would like to know how to get a good sound out of my amp first, or just be able to hear what I'm playing.

I know a lot of it lies in your finger strength, but I want to sound good while I develop that. Any good settings for clean tapping riffs? I want to be able to hear the notes that I am playing, even if I don't have the necessary finger strength yet.

Sidenote: Where do I put the hair-band when tapping? At the nut or on the first fret?
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
When I went to a better amp and guitar, I found out it was actually my guitar/pickups and shitty amp holding me back/making it sound crappy.

If you're on a 200$ guitar and 200$ amp, that is *part*, but not *all* of the problem.
It's spelled wiener.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
^He doesnt have shitty gear, hes got a Tele and a Gigmaster

Clean tapping? Increase your volume, finger strength, compressor, increase clean channel gain.

I swear when I go back to my old gear, you almost can't pull off and get any sounds with it. On my new one, Minimal work gives me a beautiful razor sharp sound.
That's just my case though, I'm pretty sure 99% of the cases here are technique.
It's spelled wiener.
muting of the strings is required, reb beach has a very helpfull lesson on youtube about this subject
Quote by AWACS

Sidenote: Where do I put the hair-band when tapping? At the nut or on the first fret?

No where. Learn to tap without it
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Use a lot of gain to get your notes to ring out(it aids legato). Higher gain is not always desired, you can roll off your volume a little to get rid of the extra gain and roll it back for tapping. Van Halen uses this a lot. It can be good for harmonics and divebombs etc.

It's important to mute strings. Left hand mutes the strings below the tapping lick. The right hand/palm mutes the strings above.

Also practice it slow so the notes are equally phrased.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Last edited by Nameless742 at Nov 2, 2011,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC_-2hpzQt0&feature=related

You can always trust Guthrie, he starts to get to the technique around 6:00 in the video.
Pamposh’s final question before drifting into a state of transcendent ecstasy was, “But Master, if everything is an illusion, then why does anything matter?”

To which the master replied, “It may all be an illusion, but it’s a very real illusion.”
Last edited by gynther flynt at Nov 2, 2011,
Quote by AtomicBirdy
I swear when I go back to my old gear, you almost can't pull off and get any sounds with it. On my new one, Minimal work gives me a beautiful razor sharp sound.
That's just my case though, I'm pretty sure 99% of the cases here are technique.

I got clear pull offs even on my old MG if it can be done on that, TS can jolly well do it on an Engl
I find it best not to rely on amp settings for things like that - you should be able to hear tapping even without the amp. Having said that, I'd recommend a high gain tone. In fact, personally, I like to practice things that produce extra noise, such as tapping, both clean and on high gain overdrive. Why? Because the former helps you to properly hear whether or not you're getting the same volume out of each note, and the latter brings out all those horrible extra noises you need to learn to mute. If you always practice without overdrive, you'll be in for a nasty surprise when you turn it on.

And yes, don't put a hairband round the fretboard, you should learn to tap without it. Because if you play a gig and you need to tap, what are you going to do, whip a hair band round the 1st fret half way through, then take it off??