I've seen this discussion before, but is there a downside to start playing drums on an electric drum set?

I don't have enough room for an acoustic set, and the noise would be too much for everybody else around, but I still want to learn to play drums. Transitioning from an electric set to an acoustic set wouldn't be such a bother, would it?
Quote by Kill A Kitten
You know that old saying: "Men who play bass in the band have the largest genitalia." Well, it's the same for women.
You'll most likely develop terrible playing habits with no dynamics and hit like a wimp, but if you have no other choice it's better than nothing at all. You can always adapt to playing acoustic drums later, it shouldn't be too difficult.
If that's what you have available, then do it. I'll bet you get 10x better because your practice times will become virtually limitless, versus having to pick times when Mom/Dad won't mind, or the neighbors would call the noise police.

There WILL be adjustment in transition to acoustic, but IMO it will be outweighed by the enablement of more time on the skins.
Quote by rubbieh
You'll most likely develop terrible playing habits with no dynamics and hit like a wimp, but if you have no other choice it's better than nothing at all. You can always adapt to playing acoustic drums later, it shouldn't be too difficult.

Wait... what?

If you get a decent enough electronic kit (which, let's be honest, is expensive) there will be plenty of dynamic control, much like touch sensitive keyboards. Just because it's electronic doesn't make it undynamic.

I say go for it TS.

Maybe you'll be like this guy TS.
Nothing wrong with learning on an electric kit. There was one tucked away in a storage room in the band hall that I used to jam on all the time in college and it was a blessing to be able to play any time I wanted. DF's right, if you get a decent kit, dynamics won't be a huge issue. I think the biggest issue with most cheaper kits is that they don't compare to the feel of playing an acoustic kit at all. A lot of those mesh pads don't react anything like a real head or cymbal and that's something that would take some adjusting, but all the chops you gain from practicing on an ekit usually translate just fine to an acoustic kit. The biggest adjustment you'd have to make is cymbal articulation/reaction. Even the expensive ekits fall short on this.. but again, it's not a HUGE adjustment. Just my 2 cents.