Page 1 of 2
I now work in an office as an IT guy, its awesome. I get to listen to music when I work, however my office is filled with older women for the most part and I take this job really seriously and bring a real professional attitude to the workplace. So obviously I save anything I want to listen to thats on the aggressive side of things for my drive back home. Anyway, would love to get some cool suggestions!

Basic parameters are:

Mid to slow tempo
No Vulgarities
Melodic

Genres I traditionally like and would fit in this scenario

Slower Punk
Pop- Punk
Modern Rock
Indie
Classic Rock
Emo
Acoustic Rock
Jazz

Genres I would prefer to exclude::

Metal
Prog
Blues
Rap
Hardcore
Mainstream Pop music
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
Elliott Smith
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Painted in Exile, because they literally cover every genre you listed that you don't want
Check out my band Disturbed
Last edited by StewieSwan at Nov 2, 2011,
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Quote by SilverSpurs616
use earphones.

I feel its disrespectful, especially with my job as the administrator I need to be ready to engage at all times, the music is there for background, its not a desk job where I do my work and be "zoned in" on one task.
why no blues?
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Screaming Females minus the like 1/10 of their songs where she actually screams would be perfect for you, seriously. Look 'em up.

Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2TvWjJXvB0&feature=related
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Last edited by lushacrous at Nov 2, 2011,
Quote by Swannie
why no blues?

Not a fan, at this stage of my life atleast, I'm very disinterested in oppulant lead guitar players, and traditionally thats what most blues is from my experience. Although admittedly thats a bit of a generalization.

Quote by Trowzaa
Elliott Smith

Also, love me some Elliot Smith, good stuff, great suggestion
Last edited by GoodCharloteSux at Nov 2, 2011,
Do not use ear buds, it's rude. So many times I walk over to a cube to talk to one person that always has in noise cancelling buds. Pretty much have to tap him on the shoulder to get his attention.

Listen to ambient electronic. Biosphere(not the first album w/ a black cover tho), Selected Ambient Works 2 and Music for Airports (a series of albums) are good places to start. Aphex Twin has a way with melodies that make them unmistakably...him.
Baroque solo keyboard music (recorded on the piano) works great as background music in my opinion.

Edit: and would be unlikely to aggrevate your fellow employees methinks.
Last edited by descara at Nov 2, 2011,
Quote by GoodCharloteSux
Not a fan, at this stage of my life atleast, I'm very disinterested in oppulant lead guitar players, and traditionally thats what most blues is from my experience. Although admittedly thats a bit of a generalization.

Also, love me some Elliot Smith, good stuff, great suggestion

That's not what blues is. And you should listen to music you like, why do we need to tell you what you like?
Quote by BlackVoid
Do not use ear buds, it's rude. So many times I walk over to a cube to talk to one person that always has in noise cancelling buds. Pretty much have to tap him on the shoulder to get his attention.

Listen to ambient electronic. Biosphere(not the first album w/ a black cover tho), Selected Ambient Works 2 and Music for Airports (a series of albums) are good places to start. Aphex Twin has a way with melodies that make them unmistakably...him.

Thanks for the suggestion and I totally agree regarding the ear buds. So far Ive tried out:

Weezer, The Beatles, American Football, Saves The Day, Samiam, Elliot Smith, Rodrigo Y Gabriela, Alklaine Trio, New Found Glory, Dowsing, Bill Hall, Wes Montgomery...no complaints yet, nor do I expect any but, this gives me the opportunity broaden out, which never hurts

Quote by Zoot Allures
And you should listen to music you like, why do we need to tell you what you like?

I think you've missed the point of this thread.
Last edited by GoodCharloteSux at Nov 2, 2011,
The Beatles, when in doubt the answer is usually the Beatles.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by GoodCharloteSux
I feel its disrespectful, especially with my job as the administrator I need to be ready to engage at all times, the music is there for background, its not a desk job where I do my work and be "zoned in" on one task.

lol wut

you don't think it's disrespectful to annoy your colleagues with music, but to use earphones is?
Quote by goest
^Absolute. Uncompromising. 100% pure, fresh. Solid. Gold.

Quote by WCPhils
That might be my favorite shoop I have ever seen on here.

Quote by KnightBand
Yes! ****ing Yes! YOU LEGEND!!!
Quote by Drakathan
lol wut

you don't think it's disrespectful to annoy your colleagues with music, but to use earphones is?

I have my own office not connected to anyone else and its on in a very low volume, to the point where you can only hear it sitting in my seat
Quote by GoodCharloteSux
I have my own office not connected to anyone else and its on in a very low volume, to the point where you can only hear it sitting in my seat

I agree, but if you are the only one who can here it, why does it matter what kind of music it is?

Just curious.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Oh and for Biosphere look at:
Substrata, Cirque, Substrata 2 and any album after that. Also the collaboration album with HiA called Polar Sequences is nice and subdued.
Just in case basically, you know the typical older office types, plus I don't know the people there well so in case the come into my office and I need to show them something or etc. If they over hear it, I don't want them getting the wrong impression of me.

And sure we all know judging someone on their musical likes and dislikes is silly but it happens all the time. I'm a big 80's thrash fan for instance, wouldn't play it in consideration and impression sake.

I know its sounds slightly over paranoid, but Id rather be safe then be talked to about it.
Of course. I've been playing ambient electronic in my office room for years and never had complaints. A few people even asking about it. Most people have heard of Brian Eno at least.

Most of those albums I listed don't even have beats to them. Or if they do they are very sparse and subdued. Though Selected Ambient Works 2 has a couple tracks with a regular beat to them. But they aren't disruptive.

The point of ambient music (imma paraphrase something Brian Eno has said) is that you can have it on in the background and it won't demand your attention. But you'll obviously be aware of it's presence. Or you can focus on it and let it immerse you.
Sigur Ros
Quote by Thrill-house
You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome.

Quote by Dopemgs

P.S: You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome

Quote by PsiGuy60
PS. To Conor:
You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome.
[/desperateattempttogetsigged]
Quote by Conor360
Sigur Ros

that + Dvorak
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
The Smiths, bitches love The Smiths.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNcXo7_b9M4

When the drums kick in your office will have improved productivity by 27%.

...but seriously jazz-post-rock is the future.
Incubus
Modest Mouse. mainly songs from their first two albums, imo
Arctic Monkeys
Deftones. On the heavy side, but they have some material you can get away with.
Gorillaz. More of hip-hop kind of style, but really it covers all genres. ya might dig.
Muse
Maybe even some Tool
Rush. Lots of Rush.

I'm in the exact same situation as you, dude; working Internal Tech Support with a bunch of people I don't want to listen to heavy metal around. Classic rock/metal works really well too. Iron Maiden ALL DAY!

Edit: But you'll find, as time goes on, you can pretty much listen to anything you want to as long as it's with headphones and turned down so that others can't hear it. I try to keep the content light on the distortion, though. I pump the real tunes on the car ride home, like you said haha
"CHOOSE YOUR FATE AND DIE!!"

-- Do as I say, not as I do. --
Last edited by Onzaso at Nov 2, 2011,
Quote by GoodCharloteSux
Genres I would prefer to exclude::

Metal
Prog
Blues
Rap
Hardcore
Mainstream Pop music
But... how????
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: A bunch of forced listening by my composition teacher... some great stuff by Bach, Haydn, Mozart, Schubert, Liszt...

GTA V! ... the 120th game of the franchise.
Last edited by Wolfinator-x at Nov 2, 2011,
Page 1 of 2