Hi guys,

I have the option of selecting between a new Spider IV 15 Watts amp and a second hand Spider III 30 watts Amp. The price is just 20$ different, Spider IV being the expensive one.

Suggestions please.

Thanks
-- Saurabh --
neither, get a Vox VT or a Fender Vibrochamp XD if you want a modeling amp.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
if you can avoid those amps, do it. If you can't, just go with the Spider IV, it's a "good" little practice amp.
I own both a spider iii 15 watt and spider iv 75 watt. neither are great. Taking into account the inevitable difference between the two amps I'd say there is very little difference between the spider III and IV. I'd go for the spider iii if I were you. More watts and cheaper.
Quote by Roxxie Roxx
I own both a spider iii 15 watt and spider iv 75 watt. neither are great. Taking into account the inevitable difference between the two amps I'd say there is very little difference between the spider III and IV. I'd go for the spider iii if I were you. More watts and cheaper.

you bought 2??? why?

anyways i'd say neither, the peavy vypers are so much better than spiders if you want modeling
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
I was also thinking of a peavey but thats a 100$ more here (Singapore). I am looking at other options in the same price but nothing yet. Will update if I come across anything else.
Quote by Goodtimes666
you bought 2??? why?

anyways i'd say neither, the peavy vypers are so much better than spiders if you want modeling
-- Saurabh --
i have a spider III - it is crap, the IV is a bit better, but vox's valvetronix and even the roland cube series are better sounding modellers, as is the peavey vypyr.

So the IV is better, but you can do a lot better for the amount of money it costs
Quote by Goodtimes666
you bought 2??? why?

I bought two because despite not being brilliant I appreciated the wide range of effects the provide with an acceptable tone for a good price. Personally I think they are very convenient amps. I wish the hate on spider amps stopped what most people don't realise is that although they are pathetic if you wanted to gig with them or make an album, they are extremely good for a bedroom guitarist and practicing because they are so easy to use and get a usable tone out of.
What other options would you suggest in that price range?

Quote by gman128
i have a spider III - it is crap, the IV is a bit better, but vox's valvetronix and even the roland cube series are better sounding modellers, as is the peavey vypyr.

So the IV is better, but you can do a lot better for the amount of money it costs
-- Saurabh --
Roland cubes are good. But it depends, do want good tone or more versatility? because the spiders are versatile. My next amp is most likely going to be a Roland cube. A higher end one however because they are louder and have more on them. I've had little experience with the lower watt ones.
Last edited by Roxxie Roxx at Nov 2, 2011,
This is gonna be my first electric guitar and amp.. I am still highly confused about the guitars, options being a Low end LTD (M-50), Peavey Predator or a Locally manufactured guitar.

I mostly play green day, Hoobastank etc. So spiders or Roland Cube..? :S

Quote by Roxxie Roxx
Roland cubes are good. But it depends, do want good tone or more versatility? because the spiders are versatile. My next amp is most likely going to be a roland cube.
-- Saurabh --
You didn't answer half of those questions...

We don't know budget,
we don't know genre,
we don't know if you gig or not,
and we don't know your current gear.

AND NO, Between a Spider 4 and Spider 3 is not a budget range!

EDIT
I mostly play green day, Hoobastank etc.

Finally you answer one of the questions...
Last edited by Sputnik1 at Nov 2, 2011,
Please don't be offended, but when I am telling you these two are my options,how does my budget matter. I am not asking for more options. even if my budget is 1 mil but my question is which one out of these two. it makes no difference.

I am sorry about the genre, and I don't gig. Its for practice purpose. I dont have a gear and this will be my 1st amp and guitar.
Quote by Sputnik1
You didn't answer half of those questions...

We don't know budget,
we don't know genre,
we don't know if you gig or not,
and we don't know your current gear.

AND NO, Between a Spider 4 and Spider 3 is not a budget range!

EDIT

Finally you answer one of the questions...
-- Saurabh --
First amp? Roland Cube, Peavey Vypyr or Vox VT.

Not a Spider. Please.
My stuff

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube
Quote by Saurabhsaxena
Please don't be offended, but when I am telling you these two are my options,how does my budget matter. I am not asking for more options. even if my budget is 1 mil but my question is which one out of these two. it makes no difference.

I am sorry about the genre, and I don't gig. Its for practice purpose. I dont have a gear and this will be my 1st amp and guitar.

The reason we ask for a budget is that you can order/buy much better amps than those. Many of which I am sure are on the used market in Singapore.

But if you just have to have those amps you might as well get the number 4 since it is the less crappy of the two.
I am really scared to buy used amp and guitar. I see ads every day and I contact them but then I back out as I am worried what if there is something wrong with the guitar or amp and I might end up with a bad deal. I have been playing acoustic for 3 years and i have went to many different shops and tried electrics for last 2 weeks and I am ashamed of myself as I can't figure out the difference between the sound quality of a Dean vendetta, Ibanez GiO something, ESP LTD and a locally manufactured Craftsman.

I am no where near expert in electric guitars so I am not sure I will be able to judge the quality of a 2nd hand guitar in case I want to buy one.

Quote by Sputnik1
The reason we ask for a budget is that you can order/buy much better amps than those. Many of which I am sure are on the used market in Singapore.

But if you just have to have those amps you might as well get the number 4 since it is the less crappy of the two.
-- Saurabh --
Quote by Sputnik1

How much experience with the spider amps do you have?

For the price they are good practice amps. Versatile and easy to use.

And no I'd say get the 3
I am not sure if they sell Vintage guitars here. Haven't came across any of them.

Quote by Roxxie Roxx
I'd say you try and have a go on both before you buy one as for the guitars I'd say look around a bit, none of them are particularly good. allow me to suggest Vintage guitars.

http://www.dv247.com/guitars/vintage-v100-electric-guitar-tobacco-sunburst--35393

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/vintage-vs-6-cherry-red/33471
-- Saurabh --
Played them for almost 30 mins in the shop. They did sound decent to me.

Quote by Roxxie Roxx

And no I'd say get the 3
-- Saurabh --
Quote by Saurabhsaxena
I am not sure if they sell Vintage guitars here. Haven't came across any of them.

Well from your list the ltd sounds the better option.
Quote by Saurabhsaxena
Played them for almost 30 mins in the shop. They did sound decent to me.

Sorry I aimed that at the person who was saying the spiders where "crappy" not you
Quote by Saurabhsaxena
How about a Vox Pathfinder 15R..?

Never tried one but a friend of mine owns one and when asked he said it was "ok".
Just one last one,

Views for Laney Amps. Same 15 Watt Amp. What I find missing is the no. of channels. Spider seems to be a good amp for beginner. Ease of use and just a button push change of channel. All this is missing in Roland and Peavey etc..

Quote by Roxxie Roxx
Never tried one but a friend of mine owns one and when asked he said it was "ok".
-- Saurabh --
Quote by Roxxie Roxx

And no I'd say get the 3

Have you ever played a tube amp? If you did you would not think so highly of the almighty spiders.

I'm done with this thread.
Quote by Sputnik1
Have you ever played a tube amp? If you did you would not think so highly of the almighty spiders.

I'm done with this thread.

Don't be a prick.

Get the IV if there is only $20 in it.

Not everybody can afford a tube amp.

Not everybody lives in a place where its possible to pick up cheap tube amps.

Not everybody needs a tube amp.

Spiders, Vypyrs and Mustangs are great for beginners as they are easy to use, have a decent array of effects to allow some experimentation and to allow them to find out what they like and want in future amp.

But whatever.

I am done with this thread.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
honestly please do not buy either. this os one of those things you cannot decide by looking at stats on paper. take everybodys work for it. if you buy a spider you will regret it...at some point. some take longer than others. if your not regretting it, dont worry, your not there yet young jedi.

but when you learn a bit more, you realize you bought a POS. happens the best of us. (yes i am guilty...i remedied the problem by buying a 6 foot double ended 1/8 cable and using my amp as an i pod dock for outdoor shin digs. best 90 dollar i pod dock ive ever bought)
there really is no difference. both sound like bees in a can, one can just has a few less bees in it... seriously though you can get so much better for the price. you should really shop around a more. the vyper is amazing compared to the spiders. mustangs are good too.
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.