Hey guys, I was reading the amp guide and it was really helpful but I'm always terrible at making choices, so I was wondering if anyone has any tips on a good amp for really nice washy shoegazy tones, using pedals if necessary (the band Wild Nothing are the guitar sound I'm thinking of), a distorted tone such as pavement or deerhunter, which can also do nice cleans. I won't be playing proper gigs or anything but I will be playing with other people so it would need to be powerful enough to cope with that. From what I saw it seems the Vox Valvetronix or something similar would be best, but if anyone has anything better please recommend! Thanks in advance!
You could probably get something better than a Valvetronix for that much. They're pretty good amps, but you could find something better to use with pedals. If you don't need that much volume you could get a 5-watt tube amp (like a Vox AC4) and it would sound quite a bit better.
Quote by Polar13
You could probably get something better than a Valvetronix for that much. They're pretty good amps, but you could find something better to use with pedals. If you don't need that much volume you could get a 5-watt tube amp (like a Vox AC4) and it would sound quite a bit better.

Thank you very much! Would a 5-watt amp be powerful enough to be clearly audible in a band setting? This is where I show how clueless I am :c
Maybe look into a Vox AC15? They are pretty loud and you can mike up the amp if you need it to be squeaky clean with a band. They'll get a bit of hair on the cleans when turned up pretty loud, but they sound good for the reverb/delay washy sound. Maybe also look into

Laney VC30
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe/Deville
Peavey Classic 30
Fender Blues Junior (mike it up)

You'd need to get your own effects (overdrive, fuzz, delay, reverb, modulation
, etc.), but it would sound good and be best for playing with a band if you looked for a decent tube amp and pedals.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Last edited by sg4ever at Nov 3, 2011,
Quote by sg4ever
Maybe look into a Vox AC15? They are pretty loud and you can mike up the amp if you need it to be squeaky clean with a band. They'll get a bit of hair on the cleans when turned up pretty loud, but they sound good for the reverb/delay washy sound. Maybe also look into

Laney VC30
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe/Deville
Peavey Classic 30
Fender Blues Junior (mike it up)

You'd need to get your own effects (overdrive, fuzz, delay, reverb, modulation
, etc.), but it would sound good and be best for playing with a band if you looked for a decent tube amp and pedals.

Thanks very much for all your help, I was looking at ebay and i saw

a Laney 100Watt head and cabinet which could be alright

or

and the Marshall JCM 600

I'm just wondering if either of those is a particularly good bargain? I like the look of the JCM600 quite a lot (it seems quite good at cleans and is also cheaper) but any advice would be great, thanks again!
Last edited by 12dogs at Nov 3, 2011,
Quote by 12dogs
Thanks very much for all your help, I was looking at ebay and i saw

this which looks massive but it might not be that great

and this

I'm just wondering if either of those is a particularly good bargain? Or should I just go with your recommendations? Thanks again!

The Laney you posted is a great amp, would do the job for shoegaze but perhaps not so much for clean indie (although if I had £300 I would buy that instantly, such a good deal). Not sure about the JCM600, but I've heard they're pretty unreliable. If I were you I'd look into a used Laney VC30 or LC30, that will nail the indie clean sound, then get some sort of fuzz pedal for the shoegaze stuff.
Last edited by korinaflyingv at Nov 3, 2011,
Quote by korinaflyingv
The Laney you posted is a great amp, would do the job for shoegaze but perhaps not so much for clean indie. Not sure about the JCM600, but I've heard they're pretty unreliable. If I were you I'd look into a used Laney VC30 or LC30, that will nail the indie clean sound, then get some sort of fuzz pedal for the shoegaze stuff.

wasn't sure how reliable Laney were as a brand but the VC30 seems pretty popular, will look into them some more, I might make an offer on this Laney VC30 and see what I can get it for, this LC30 would be good though because it's a hell of a lot cheaper, unless the VC30 really is that much better that I should spend the extra? Should I just stretch a little extra and get the Laney + cabinet?
Quote by 12dogs
wasn't sure how reliable Laney were as a brand but the VC30 seems pretty popular, will look into them some more, I might make an offer on this Laney VC30 and see what I can get it for, this LC30 would be good though because it's a hell of a lot cheaper, unless the VC30 really is that much better that I should spend the extra? Should I just stretch a little extra and get the Laney + cabinet?

IMO Laney is the best value for money in the UK, especially given the ridiculously low prices you can find on ebay and gumtree. I haven't played either amp in ~4 years so my memory is fuzzier than Loveless, but as I remember it, the VC30 has REALLY nice cleans but a weak overdrive. The LC30 has warmer, still very nice but not orgasmic cleans, and a thicker, more versatile (but still not amazing) overdrive. Out of those 2 I'd go for the LC30, because of the price difference. The GH100L (the head + cab you're looking at) has outstanding overdrive, packs a hell of a punch, but doesn't have much in the way of cleans. It really depends what's more important to you, cleans or overdrive. If I was playing in a pure shoegaze band, I'd get the GH100L, because it will drown your audience in a sea of distortion. If you need switchable cleans and distortion, I'd say LC30 + fuzz pedal.
Quote by korinaflyingv
IMO Laney is the best value for money in the UK, especially given the ridiculously low prices you can find on ebay and gumtree. I haven't played either amp in ~4 years so my memory is fuzzier than Loveless, but as I remember it, the VC30 has REALLY nice cleans but a weak overdrive. The LC30 has warmer, still very nice but not orgasmic cleans, and a thicker, more versatile (but still not amazing) overdrive. Out of those 2 I'd go for the LC30, because of the price difference. The GH100L (the head + cab you're looking at) has outstanding overdrive, packs a hell of a punch, but doesn't have much in the way of cleans. It really depends what's more important to you, cleans or overdrive. If I was playing in a pure shoegaze band, I'd get the GH100L, because it will drown your audience in a sea of distortion. If you need switchable cleans and distortion, I'd say LC30 + fuzz pedal.

This is really useful, I think I'll make a bid on the LC30, thank you!
Buy an old Peavey from the 80s. They go for pennies. Are tube powered and take pedals like a champ.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
Buy an old Peavey from the 80s. They go for pennies. Are tube powered and take pedals like a champ.

any particular model? There's a refurbished classic 30 going for £300 on ebay, but apparently that's from ~1995

Edit:there's also one just called a "Peavey classic" currently at £100 and a Peavey classic 20 currently at £120
Actually I think I might make an offer on the Peavey Classic because it's only £100 and I would like to save quite a lot to spend on pedals, it doesn't have to be the best in the world, any advice?