Poll: What would you do if you were me?
Poll Options
View poll results: What would you do if you were me?
Psychology Degree
13 16%
Business Studies Degree
9 11%
Electrician Apprenticeship
34 43%
Other- State what and why.
24 30%
Voters: 80.
Page 1 of 2
I can't decide whether to take a degree in Psychology, Business Studies, or get an apprenticeship as an Electrician.

What would YOU do and why?

Also, what do you actually do? And where are you from?

Nice one,

Luke.
I'm a tail gunner in a beer truck.
Thirsty work.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Do what you find the most interesting. The electrician thing will probably land you a job quick, while the other might mean hard work for a long time with no guaranteed jobs (depending on a lot of factors, though). Ultimately pick the one you see yourself working with.

I don't have a job at the moment, just being a student on my second last term before taking my bachelor's degree in archaeology. Used to work in a pre-school. Might get that job back in january.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
Do what you find the most interesting. The electrician thing will probably land you a job quick, while the other might mean hard work for a long time with no guaranteed jobs (depending on a lot of factors, though). Ultimately pick the one you see yourself working with.

I don't have a job at the moment. Used to work in a pre-school. Might get that job back in january.

Thank you for the input. I have been told this time and time again, but I can't help want job security and a decent income coming in.

I have no idea what to do. Its SUCH a difficult decision this whole career crap...
If you're just looking for a job, psych and business studies are waaaay over crowded fields while electricians are in some demand.

Personally, I say do what you think you'll love. If you really enjoy something, you'll do better at it than those going through the motions and you'll rise to the top even if it's a more crowded field.
I wouldn't bother applying for a business degree unless I envisioned on also applying for a co-op. The co-op will set you up for a decent career. Without it though, a business degree is no much better than any other type of degree.

edit: pick whatever you find the most interesting and engaging as 4 years is an extremely long time to apply oneself to a program which is uninteresting.
Last edited by Godsmack_IV at Nov 2, 2011,
I bar tend during the summers back home, but right now im at school for a bachelor in computer information system, it is a very safe field.

Edit: But pertaining to your situation, business is not the best, psyic is hard to find a job for, electrician may not bring in the money you want.... so that leaves you either to be a stripper or a school mascot
"I have good eye-sight, insight, and foresight. How could an
intelligent hare make such a silly mistake?"
Last edited by HowToFly at Nov 2, 2011,
Quote by GuitarGod_92
Because cool people study psychology in uni. You want to be cool, don't you?

Really cool kids kick the shit out of psych majors and tell them to analyze it.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by moominman2
I agree that business and psychology are overcrowded.

Oh computers aye? I looked at this. Computer Science looks interesting, as does computer engineering etc

http://academicearth.org/

Check out some lectures on there to see what subjects interest you most. Also, you don't need to declare your major in your first year but it's useful to have at least a vague idea of the direction you're heading in as you'll want to pass the prerequisite classes to whatever you ultimately decide upon.
Electrician apprenticeship is what I would go for. I'd rather open a toolbox instead of a briefcase full of papers any day.
ggg1 ggg3

Quote by Godsmack_IV
http://academicearth.org/

Check out some lectures on there to see what subjects interest you most. Also, you don't need to declare your major in your first year but it's useful to have at least a vague idea of the direction you're heading in as you'll want to pass the prerequisite classes to whatever you ultimately decide upon.

Excellent link, thank you. I shall take a look!
Quote by Jackal58
Really cool kids kick the shit out of psych majors and tell them to analyze it.

Oh yeah, well...you want to fuck your mother and stuff.
Electrician. Probably the most secure profession out of all of those.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by behind_you
Electrician apprenticeship is what I would go for. I'd rather open a toolbox instead of a briefcase full of papers any day.

Silly ostrich. Open a beer.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by GuitarGod_92
Oh yeah, well...you want to fuck your mother and stuff.

Necrophilia isn't my thing. Your mom on the other hand......
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Since psychology and business are overcrowded fields, I'd say elecritician.

I study for a baccelor in chemistry, which is an insanely safe field to study
Quote by Jackal58
Silly ostrich. Open a beer.

Silly?! What's with everyone insulting the ostrich today? Do you all fail to realize that they will rule the world soon enough?!
ggg1 ggg3

I want my band to hit it big and make a reasonable amount of money to keep up with my GAS.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Well, its entirely decision. But I would do agree where there is demand in your field after you graduate. I'm doing a double Major in Political Science with a specialization in Money and Banking. When i graduate I plan to study abroad and get my masters in Risk Management or some an Investment masters.

I'm doing mine because I love political science/economics and my math skillz bring all the bitches to the yard. Just do something that you won't hate and have some skill at. I'm good at math and presenting information

and as long as you have a skill from your degree, general business degrees aren't as useful as they often don't give you a specific skill set.

Representing Canada. TML
Last edited by metharian at Nov 2, 2011,
I'd go for the psychology degree. I wouldn't mind listening to people and helping the help themselves.

I'm actually doing a business degree in Canada.
I'm a tame dancing bear.
What is this that stands before me?

Figure in black that points at me...

FUCKETH THINE SELF
Full time student right now, but when I work in the summer I wrench in the family bike shop, and deliver sandwiches on bicycle for a restaurant.
language
jazyk
kieli
язык
العربية

My Tumblr: Lots of artist recommendations, album reviews, and ideas about music (as well as some film and bike stuff).

Go Sharks! Go Wings! Go Flyers! Go Kings!
Those are all so different Do a bit of all of them to decide what you like better. I have a Bachelor's in psych and now spend my day helping people cope with their shit and find resources for their low-income situations. It's rewarding, but not everybody can spend several hours 5 days a week listening to people's problems. And tbh most of us don't do it for long. High turnover field.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

well, psychology is overcrowded, but since human condition is failed from the very beggining (structurally would be more accurate), as a psychologist, you'll always be able to get a job... there's people in pain wherever you look at. So it's not insecure, it's the most secure, EVEN THOUGH it's overcrowded.

However, the one and only answer is to follow the one that you most like, the one that wakes your passion. Say you go for X since it's secure, and you don't like it... Result: you'll live your whole life working on something you don't like... I think that is one of the worst things that can ever happen to anyone.

People here, I assume, is going to vote mostly for electricity tech, since it's more of a "hands on" way of living, and the population in a guitar based forum has that hands on way of having fun (it's implied when playing, obviously).

And i Study Psychology, while I work as a computer teacher for "poor" children. I do like both things

BTW psychology is a degree full of chicks... you'll get some good, good pussy (I talk from experience )
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Quote by behind_you

This!

Electrician is probably what I would be doing if I sound engineering already(which involves electricity, yay!) .
Right now I'm working as a Jr. in a store that repairs speakers, monitors ect.
Psych degree doesn't give you many job opportunites after college. Either go for electrician or take general college courses until you figure out what you want to be. there are a lot of options out there so you shouldn't narrow it down to 3 choices and ask the pit. If you enroll in the general stuff it will expose you to many other paths.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
If you go for electrician you can always get a general contractor license after a few years in which case that coupled with a business degree will definitely help you run a more successful enterprise
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
How can we possibly decide for you? You have to pick what you're passionate about, I know it's been said a million times but it's true.

Too many people get into industries for the wrong reasons. Just because you have the grades to become a doctor or a lawyer doesn't mean you should.
Nobody great got to their position because they did what was sensible, they did it because their passion carried them there.

A good choice is one that excites and motivates you... not one that you just settle for.

That also means don't invest in £50k debt for something you're not 100% sure about. It sounds like you need to just take some time out and think about your options. Maybe have a gap year or two and do something other than school as this can really help you clear your mind. Taking time to think really helped me, I'm now going down a path I wouldn't have considered a year or two ago.
aeronautical engineer.

i help design planes now.

a year ago it was retail. i like my job more now. pretty fun.
I work in a warehouse, driving fork hoists. It's a bum job, pay is worse than sh!t, but I don't have to think too much.

Allows me to concentrate on more important things, like being a pit monkey
Page 1 of 2