Anyone here own one of these? What speakers/cab. are you using? I played one in the local GC with a crap guitar and a crap cabinet and it still sounded great. I'd like to know if the sound improves all that much with better gear. I put it on layaway and get it in like 30 days. I've got good guitars to put with it, but no cab's. yet. I'll need to shop for a good low power 2x12. I looked at the Mesa website and they don't even seem to have a good low power cab geared for this thing.

What do you mean 'low power' cab? Low wattage? Do you like vintage tones with lots of speaker distortion? OR - do you want to hear mainly the amps distortion? What kind of music do you play. whant what is your budget? What are you doing with the JSX and is there anything you don't like about it?

Cool amp BTW - we'll look forward to your NAD
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Nov 3, 2011,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

What do you mean 'low power' cab? Low wattage? Do you like vintage tones with lots of speaker distortion? OR - do you want to hear mainly the amps distortion? What kind of music do you play wand what is your budget? What are you doing with the JSX and is there anything you don't like about it?

Cool amp BTW - we'll forward to your NAD

Low Power meaning to match the amp, it's a max of 25 watts. Problem with the cab it was hooked to in the store was it couldn't power the speakers in the 5 or 15 watt modes. The speakers were only 30W Celestions in a 2x12 setup, but 15 watts just wasn't enough. So I need a cab that can be driven with as low as 5 watts, but can handle as much as 25.

As for distortion, I prefer tube distortion, and I have plenty of pedals to handle that when needed. And the amp does have it's own distortion channel as well. In other words, I prefer tube distortion over speaker distortion.

Music, hmmm, Jingle Bells, Silent Night..... Hey, I just started learning again.
But seriously to answer, I'm into classic rock, hair metal, etc... Budget, so far this year alone I am somewhere just over the $13K mark and I have no real budget limits. If I want it, I will get it. I just don't waste money.

The JSX? Ummm, annoying the neighbors whenever possible. Not like about it? That it isn't twice as loud so I can annoy more neighbors. Again, seriously, I love it...ALL OF IT! And I love this new one too, great GREAT tone. That's why I bought them.

And thanks for the response, it's hard to find comments on it, it's so new.
Quote by IbanezBossShred
i need a good cab for a mesa ta15

find a used marshall 112 jcm800 cab and toss a greenback in it.

edit: congrats on the head, thought about one myself, mini-rec sounds pretty cool too. i have no idea what i'm doing.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Nov 3, 2011,
That's weird.

I plugged my 1 watt amp into a 65 watt cab and it sounded great

Just wanted to ask about budget so I wouldn't offend you. You mentioned Layaway so I thought maybe you were budget conscious.

The only thing I didn't like about the TA was the control panel was a bit crowded. Other than that - it is a great amp. There are lots of quality cab builders out there. Mesa for a start. Splawn, Avatar, Mills, Marshall, Emperor, White Box, Port City, etc all make great cabs worth looking into.
Wow, 1W huh. Hmmmm, the cab it was hooked up to was a Bogner 2x12 . The 2 speakers were both 30W speakers, and were both Celestions, but not the same speaker. Sorry, I don't remember the specific model of speaker. I also have no idea what the cab impedance was. Maybe it was just a faulty cab or speaker. I can experiment with it more once I get it home, Dec. 3rd. or thereabouts. And no offense taken, I just put it on layway cuz of current X-Mas present commitments. I'm tapped out due to guitar hungry teenagers and college students that insist on living at home... :'(

Edit to add, oh and I got an e-mail out to Mesa to see what they have that works with it and what they can build and at what cost. I'm neither rich nor poor, but I'd rather not spend a silly amount on what is just a hobby for me.
Last edited by IbanezBossShred at Nov 4, 2011,
i found the trans atlantic to be a great amp i really wish i had the green light from the wife on that one. i played the thing for a good long while in the loud room in my local GC. i agree with 311 on the panel being overcrowded but the tones are there and damn do they sound good congrats on the purchase! or soon to purchase or whatever. lol

http://www.avatarspeakers.com/vintage%20g212.htm
perhaps this one?
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Thanks, Avatar was one of the makers I was going to look at for this. I've heard a lot of good about them, but to be honest, I've never tried one yet. There's one at the local GC I can even try. Oh, and it is on layway, until about Dec. 3rd. (the TA-15 is on layaway).
Last edited by IbanezBossShred at Nov 4, 2011,
Yeah it was my 1 watt Blackheart Killer Ant head into my (then) Avatar 212. The Avatar was a Premier Traditional 2x12 with a Celestion Classic Lead 80 and a G12H30. The resulting watts on that is 60. Ohms won't matter.

I bring this up because the cab doesn't have to have low watts if the amp head has low watts. The difference here is strictly speaker 'headroom'. The lower the wattage rating of the speaker the more it will distort. Generally speaking. A 25 watt speaker will give you more of a vintage distorted type sound (great for blues and rock) where a 100 watt speaker will distort less and be more 'transparent' if you will (great for high gain and metal).

That T/A should have no problem driving the Bogner cab or any other cab for that matter. What you chose in a cab depends on your needs. Speaker choice if very important. I can recommend Avatar because I owned one. Contact Dave there and tell him what you have and what kind of music you play etc and he will make a recommendation. I would get a convertible back and maybe their Hellatone rebranded Celestions. I sold my cab to gregs1020 to fund my Splawn cab - which is even better.

Keep us posted

Funny about the kids living at home till. Maybe you should start a band

Funny that you have the T/A in your sig already
Yeah i'm confused.
I mean you can use one of those blackstar ht1 hybrid monstrositys through a marshall 1960 without any problem so you shouldnt have any issue running at different wattages any cab unless you have an amp thats too powerful and it blows the speaker..
I have an Avatar 4x12, and I absolutely love it. Just need an amp to go with it :ppppppp

Seriously, this cabinet has been so used and abused over the years it has seen. Really says something for their build quality.
^^ yep

Here is a clip of my Blackheart 1 wattr into a 60w cab

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/311ZOSOVHJH/music/all/play798828

The distortion is from the amp. Point being if that had been run into Greenbacks or something it would be even dirtier.

^ yep. I learned of Avatar via this site. I took a chance and bought one new. Great cabs for the money.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Nov 4, 2011,
mesa 112 and 212 cabs are on GC's used site for a reasonable amount.

with the holiday sales approaching, black friday especially, grabbing one cheap should be a no brainer.

i like avatar, orange, emperor and old marshall cabs myself. the mesa cabs i've used have all been good. those are the cabs i have experience with personally.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Yeah i'm confused.
I mean you can use one of those blackstar ht1 hybrid monstrositys through a marshall 1960 without any problem so you shouldnt have any issue running at different wattages any cab unless you have an amp thats too powerful and it blows the speaker..

I think you missed my post, after 311 told me his worked higher power speakers. My guess is the cab in GC might be bad. I was in there yesterday (drooling on my amp ) but didn't take time to try it on that cab again. I looked at a bunch of cabs and tried them out with various amps, but haven't decided yet. I think I may just get a Mesa cab now that I know it will work. They have a nice little compact 2x12 I think.