Hi everyone, ive been a bassist for roughly under a year now, but I also have tons of music theory and whatnot behind me from 10 years of piano and numerous of guitar.

My current setup is a Fender Squier J-Bass with a 60 watt fender amp. The exact problem is that whenever i turn the third knob up (very bottom) i get this odd fuzzy sound from my amp. Ive tried this on another amp of mine, same problem. Used a different cable aswell, didn't make a difference.

*one thing i have noticed is that whenever i put my finger on the metal input part of my cable, it stops about 90% (you can still hear a tiny tiny bit, this makes a huge difference when it's cranked up)

ANY help is much appreciated, thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Mike
Quote by xmikemelisky
The exact problem is that whenever i turn the third knob up (very bottom)

Just for clarification do you mean the bass EQ knob or third knob on the bottom row? Not everyone has your amp so your third button (I assume from the left) isn't the same on everyone's amp (mines Hi mid). So, just in the future try being very specific, half the questions on the forums take forever to be answered because inadequate info is laid out. Again not picking on you, I'm just hoping others read this.
Quote by askrere
Just for clarification do you mean the bass EQ knob or third knob on the bottom row? Not everyone has your amp so your third button (I assume from the left) isn't the same on everyone's amp (mines Hi mid). So, just in the future try being very specific, half the questions on the forums take forever to be answered because inadequate info is laid out. Again not picking on you, I'm just hoping others read this.

really sorry about that- its the knobs on my bass. for some reason im finding this hard to explain. If I had my bass strapped and set up as if i was playing (as a standard righty) then its the knob on the very right.
J bass, that's your tone knob, you're turning it to let the treble pass through, and when you do the hissing is more apparent. As the guy above said it's a bad ground, but they are also single coils which can hum (especially when using distortion pedals, playing loud etc.) and a lack of good shielding within the basses cavities.

Theory is good. Time to study up on the science and "anatomy" of your instruments. The world of electric instruments is great but full of confusion as well as great opportunities.
Quote by askrere
J bass, that's your tone knob, you're turning it to let the treble pass through, and when you do the hissing is more apparent. As the guy above said it's a bad ground, but they are also single coils which can hum (especially when using distortion pedals, playing loud etc.) and a lack of good shielding within the basses cavities.

Theory is good. Time to study up on the science and "anatomy" of your instruments. The world of electric instruments is great but full of confusion as well as great opportunities.

Many thanks for this post, helped me heaps. Off to the informational parts of the web now