Page 1 of 3
What makes you dislike a person if they lack concern for something?

What I mean is that sometimes I notice a person will sometimes dislike somebody else because they lack concern for something important to them.

For instance, I know a girl who likes to exercise, and she's one of those girls who wants to be extremely thin, and is very sensitive about her weight (she's very in shape, too). And the other day I heard her say "I cannot stand people who just don't care about their body, eat badly and never exercise." I know her and her bf and they just do not like fat people at all.

As a pretty skinny guy, I've noticed that guys who are very muscular and buff just don't like me right off the bat when they first meet me. Of course it's not all of them, but quite a bit of them.

People who are extremely into politics and current events are often disgusted by people who are indifferent to politics and aren't as informed and opinionated. A person who finds it important to be philanthropic and donate to charity will probably dislike a rich guy who selfishly spends his money.

TL;DR: So for the things that are important to you: It might be physical fitness, politics, philosophy, religion, etc. Do you dislike someone for lacking concern for these topics?

At first I used to, and I'm sure I still do to some degree as we're not all 100% rational, and sometimes we can't help but stereotype people. But I think that you can't expect a person to be an expert on all important issues.
I agree with the politics one.

I don't give a shit. I guess that would annoy some people.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Generally, I say fuck them and the horse they rode in on, but it really depends on the person.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy
Quote by The_Blode
^ I'm sorry your highness I forgot that I'm subhuman. . .

Quote by ErikLensherr
Normani
Normani
Normies
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
You know, although I do dabble in most stuff, I don't really care. I never expect anyone to know/care about stuff that I know/care about.

Although, people who talk about a subject that they don't have alot of knowledge in is annoying and seems pretentious in my eyes.
Breakfast, Breakfast, it's great for us
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, it can't be beat
I don't dislike someone for their lack of concern for anything mainly because I can be very indifferent myself.
I used to find it annoying when people would lack a general knowledge of the world around them. Now I just accept it.
As far as I can tell, no one has felt this way about me.
I immediately hate anybody who bases their political opinion on what they heard on talkback radio. Those cunts are all fukked. I don't know if you've got the same thing in the US and UK, but in Australia, talkback radio shows consist of a right-wing extremist, racist, bigoted loud mouth spreading his poisonous words across the airwaves, and then talking over the top of/cutting off anybody who calls in with a different opinion and calling them all dickheads and 'unaustralian.'

On the rare occasion that some hillbilly fuck calls in and agrees that we should kill all the brown people in the middle east and stop sending money to the brown people in africa and imprison all the brown people who come here on boats and **** the brown people who actually own the land, they normally say something like 'you're a true aussie battler, mate.' 'You're a true blue Australian hero.'

Fuck those cunts.
Quote by Butt Rayge
I immediately hate anybody who bases their political opinion on what they heard on talkback radio. Those cunts are all fukked. I don't know if you've got the same thing in the US and UK, but in Australia, talkback radio shows consist of a right-wing extremist, racist, bigoted loud mouth spreading his poisonous words across the airwaves, and then talking over the top of/cutting off anybody who calls in with a different opinion and calling them all dickheads and 'unaustralian.'

On the rare occasion that some hillbilly fuck calls in and agrees that we should kill all the brown people in the middle east and stop sending money to the brown people in africa and imprison all the brown people who come here on boats and **** the brown people who actually own the land, they normally say something like 'you're a true aussie battler, mate.' 'You're a true blue Australian hero.'

Fuck those cunts.

In America, we have Rush Limbaugh.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy
Quote by The_Blode
^ I'm sorry your highness I forgot that I'm subhuman. . .

Quote by ErikLensherr
Normani
Normani
Normies
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
I tend to think less of people who choose to wear ugly clothes, or dismiss poetry as stupid, or think art is for hippies.

But also, people tend to resent me for my blatant disregard for social trends and hatred of symbolism.
I don't really mind it if they have no concern, it just annoys the hell out of me when they have that "I don't give a **** about *Insert subject matter*" As if anyone really cares. Not difficult to say it just doesn't interest you.
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
I tend to be very dismissive of people who don't really give a shit about music, actually. I'm not hostile to them and I don't think badly of them. I just can't relate to them at all.
I generally dislike people who don't care about music. I generally dislike people who buy into talking head politics. I generally dislike people who talk about other people or make fun of others. I generally dislike people who complain about their financial situation but don't take steps to correct it (I am poor myself, so not bashing poor people). I think people in general judge people by their priorities and if someone elses priorities are very much different than or opposed to your priorities, then we tend to not get along.
Oh, also, while I don't dislike art at all, in my experience people who call themselves artists I dislike.
I honestly can't stand people that do not like perogies. Just sayin'.
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Fender Big Apple Stratocaster
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
and a soul of Rock n' Roll
Quote by Butt Rayge
I tend to be very dismissive of people who don't really give a shit about music, actually. I'm not hostile to them and I don't think badly of them. I just can't relate to them at all.

I feel ya.
Breakfast, Breakfast, it's great for us
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, it can't be beat
Not particularly. A lot of things that I enjoy I do by myself or with a couple friends. If they don't like it I don't care. If I honestly just lack any concern for whatever they do, why should I be offended or dislike people if they don't care what I do? It'd be hypocritical.
I think its just because people tend to like those who share their interests. Things that are different or divergent from those interests cause ego based fear on some level, as threats to ones identity, and thus often the negative reactions you describe.

edit: for your examples, people who are obsessed with fitness and dislike fat people are likely afraid of being fat themselves and thus hate people who are fat because they cannot accept this part of themselves. Muscular guys who see a "skinny weakling" and react negatively are likely afraid of being weak themselves and probably secretly fear this about themselves and therefore react with dislike.

Keep in mind though i would only apply this to people who are intolerant of those that don't share their interests. People do genuinely have interests and live and let live, which is awesome.
Last edited by Faux at Nov 2, 2011,
I dislike it when people say that they "can't run or work out". In most cases, unless one has a physical disability, it's his or her own laziness keeping him or her from exercising.

Maybe I'm a bit biased because I love working out
Quote by Lulzcifer
bunch of assholes in here

We're talking about all the issues a human faces interacting with other humans, just as imperfect as ourselves, permanently marred with opinions, and feelings, and hatred for what other people love, and love for what other people hate, and we realize we are not better than anyone else.

And you come in, and insult us.

That. That is assholery at its assholiest.
I lack concern for people that lack concern.
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Quote by MakinLattes
People get butthurt when I tell them I don't vote.

oh my god! same here. and they're the same people who bitch about elected officials. don't complain to me! you're the ones who voted for these people! i stayed at home that day. they make it sound like i can't complain because i didn't go out and vote against them by casting one for the other asshole we'd be bitching about just as much had he won. and then it WOULD be my fault.
#DTWD
I remember growing up and older people always talking down to me like I was to be a worthless, obediant slave to their every whim. The trend continued when I got a job and my boss and older co-workers acted the same way. Judging someone by a number or acting like your shit don't stink cuz you somehow managed to not get hit by a bus for x number of years longer is what I can't stand. So, in other words, ageism.
Last edited by MiserySignals11 at Nov 2, 2011,
Quote by MakinLattes
People get butthurt when I tell them I don't vote.

This

___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
I hate people (my dad), that ****ing complain about them being 100 pounds overweight, but they ****ing eat 900 oreos a day and never exercise.
Quote by The Madcap
A person who finds it important to be philanthropic and donate to charity will probably dislike a rich guy who selfishly spends his money.

At first I used to, and I'm sure I still do to some degree as we're not all 100% rational, and sometimes we can't help but stereotype people. But I think that you can't expect a person to be an expert on all important issues.

Think about the first statement for a little bit.

Those things are diametrical opposed. Person A thinks they are right (if they didn't they would believe something else). as result in person A eyes person B beliefs are wrong.

Is it wrong not to care about being fit and working out? No not really. Is it a good idea because of the health and social benefits? yes.

I'm not going to throw stones on some else decisions that's not my place.

What I would suggest is, that your right. Keep an open mind. If people don't want to learn about things that's their loss you shouldn't foster negativity towards them for it. That doesn't really help anybody.

On top of that, try not to lock yourself into dogma. Maybe try and make a habit of proving yourself wrong. You might learn something.
It works both ways too. I dislike it when people are really into things which I'm totally indifferent about, though it may just be a reaction to their dislike of my indifference.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
If anything, I get annoyed when people care too much about some things.
Quote by Zoot Allures
I get pissed off if someone is too stupid to discuss any serious or meaningful thing in depth.

almost this

as arrogant or unpleasant as this might make me appear...the truth is i can't respect an individual unless there is something important or, at the very least, something interesting that can be discussed in depth by both parties. i don't get outright mad if such a person isn't in front of me 24/7, but i do get slightly irritated if i'm stuck in conversation with someone and nothing of value is being talked about.

i do get mad however when someone will say something like "i don't care for philosophy, history or politics etc, they don't matter to me" this to me is the ultimate sign of pure ignorance. politics, and consequently philosophy, effect us each and every day and it should be our jobs to stay informed and to understand the arguments of the day and how they will effect us tomorrow. you cannot remain to be a thinking person and not be informed on these topics and their implications. i can understand a non-interest in science or mathematics, i can understand an indifference for music or art...but to disregard an entire wealth of ideas that essentially shape and spell out our existence to me is inexcusable.

don't get me wrong, it's important to love science and art and music as well...but these things aren't forced upon you every day and do not necessarily "need" explicit understanding in order to go about your life informed and intelligent. i dunno...i love all of these things anyway so
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Last edited by Waterboy799 at Nov 2, 2011,
There's a difference between things that are important to me and me only, such as eating healthy and exercising, and things that are important not only to me but to the world as a whole. Like politics. People that don't give a shit about politics are choosing not to participate in a larger system that they are naturally a part of. To me a person who doesn't care about what's going on in the world around them has something seriously wrong with them. I just don't think you could group something like that in with more personal things that only affect that specific individual.

"not giving a shit" about politics is one of the few things that I can't handle. Even if someone is ignorant and misinformed, at least they care.
Today I feel electric grey
I hope tomorrow, neon black
Last edited by Ganoosh at Nov 2, 2011,
I honestly try not to be judgmental, but it's tough.

I have nothing but disgust for people who:
1) Get everything handed to them, don't appreciate it, and act arrogant because of it
2) People who feel the world owes them everything
3) People who are overly social dependent and have a 10-mile trail of drama behind them, yet have absolutely no skills whatsoever to offer society in return for, well, everything they take for granted.
I dislike people who acknowledge that things suck yet disparage something like Occupy Wall Street, or any form of protest or political activism really. Basically, people who acknowledge things need changing yet take no interest in the means of changing them. Makes no sense to me.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
I'm sure everybody's already whining about politics. Any way, not caring too much doesn't bother me when people don't care too much- I actually understand why many people don't. Why worry about something you can't control? It's that type that just say "Who the **** cares, anyway?" that annoy me. And people that care so much about voting. "lol if you don't like politicians practice your freedom by voting!"

Patriots annoy me. I don't mind mild patriotism, which is arguably a good thing, but so many people are just annoying about it. "I love this land where I have the freedom to leave whenever I want and go eat at McDonald's, which is a right you can't find anywhere else ololo." On a side not, I think it's sad people think that people worship corporations (especially McDonald's, seems to be the most worshipped one) and think they are synonymous with freedom.

I respect fat people as human beings, but if you are fat and complain about it all the time I will be annoyed. Also if you are fat, I won't want to be "romantically involved" with you.

/ranting
Quote by Zoot Allures
I get pissed off if someone is too stupid to discuss any serious or meaningful thing in depth.

I get pissed off when they do try to discuss anything outside of day-to-day banter as most people have a shallow understanding of ideas which stands out like a sore thumb in discussion (don't get me wrong, it probably applies to myself as well). It also puts you in the spot to formulate some insightful comment and unlike online discussions, where posts can be thought out meticulously, verbal ideas tend to spew out as mental diarrhea.
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
oh one more thing...i get mad when people deliberately avoid debates or arguments. i am a HUGE advocate of civilized debates/discussions etc. because i feel they are one of the best forms of education and one of the best ways of "exercising your brain". how can you justify a viewpoint you might hold if you refuse to defend it? how can you deem your own viewpoint valid if you refuse to acknowledge or bring forth the facts that reinforce it? to this day this has never made sense to me.

i take Christopher Hitchen's stance on this and love arguing for the sake of arguing about literally anything. challenge my ideas, i WANT to learn more...i would love to be proven wrong if it means bettering myself.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Last edited by Waterboy799 at Nov 2, 2011,
Quote by Waterboy799
oh one more thing...i get mad when people deliberately avoid debates or arguments. i am a HUGE advocate of civilized debates/discussions etc. because i feel they are one of the best forms of education and one of the best ways of "exercising your brain". how can you justify a viewpoint you might hold if you refuse to defend it? how can you deem your own viewpoint valid if you refuse to acknowledge or bring forth the facts that reinforce it? to this day this has never made sense to me.
To avoid dealing with a potential and hostile confrontation.
Page 1 of 3