Page 1 of 2
Okay, here are my first impressions of the amp. Arrived in a very small box, well packed (with the amp inside its padded bag). When pulling the amp out of the bag it felt very solid -- all metal.

I hooked it up to a 212 with Greenbacks, added my board to the effects loop and plugged it in. There's no reverb (which is fine for me) but otherwise I just set everything straight up to the 12 o'clock position (except for the master volumes, which were both on 9/10). I left it in the 18 watt position and fired her up.

The clean channel sounded great. I'd say it's more "chimey" rather than "spanky", which is what I prefer. I'd think this wouldn't be a first choice if you were doing country. Then again, this is just a first impression review.

I moved it over to the lead channel and with just one chord was impressed. This amp sounds fantastic to my ears. There was a ton of crunch, no "fizz" and after the initial distorted sound had a lot of "clarity" in the notes of the chord.

I played a bunch of stuff and started to change things around with the EQ. It can get dark and still has a decent bottom end. I didn't like it with the mids scooped too much though.

I switched on the Lead Boost and wasn't quite prepared. The jury is out on this as I just haven't had enough time with it, but I don't think I've ever had an easier time of finding harmonics everywhere.

This is the best sounding amp I've heard, straight out of the box. It has a lot of crunch and articulation (for lack of a better word). It isn't muddy, fizzy or bland. It's very crisp with a nice "KERANG!"

Again, this is an initial review. I reserve the right to back peddle completely, denounce the amp as anything other than a POS and return it to the store for a complete refund.

A couple of things noteworthy. 1) I played this through my Avatar 212 with Greenbacks. I hadn't been real happy with my previous amp and wondered if it had something to do with the GBs. It just sounded a bit too dark. This amp sounds fantastic through the cab. 2) I've only tried my PRS MEQ (Modern Eagle Quatro) through it. I loved the sound of the MEQ through my previous amp but I always had to tweak things "just right" to get the sound I liked (again, thinking/hoping it was the cab). Well, with this amp it sounds freakin' amazing. Sooooo much better than before. I'm even more in love with the 53/10 pickups.

Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
HNAD!! im really wanting to try one of these.
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
HNAD. +1 for leds.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
HNAD!!! Looks fantastic, and so does the guitar! I've always loved H&K amps, great sounding amps.
Gear:
Fender Highway One HSS Strat
Art & Lutherie Cedar Acoustic
Line6 UX2
No amp ... Help me find an amp
HNAD! I've never even heard one but dat blue light... daaaaaaaaaaaamn
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Very nice. I haven't had the chance to really audition the lower wattage amps; but, if that thing can do the not Brit/not American (Germanic ?) tone, I need to check it out.

Congrats! Hope you hang on to it long enough for the post-honeymoon assessment!

Just got done playing it for another hour. The clean channel is REALLY impressive. It can get to a nice dirty crunch, but then totally clean up to more bell-like tones just by rolling off the guitar volume (or using a lighter touch on the strings).

I was also able to get a real good (for me) surf tone on both clean and lead channels. Pretty cool!

Almost forgot! One thing to keep in mind, the head does not come with a footswitch -- the combo does. The place I ordered mine from (ProAudio) siad it was a special order item for them (I'm assuming they just didn't have any in stock), but it looks like other places have it in stock.
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
wow. your setup is my ideal pretty much.

that is great to hear. this would definitely be my first choice for a new amp, only downside is i use reverb A LOT (so new amp day comes with new pedal day for me?)

i heard this amp is made in china or somoething to account for the lesser cost compared to its larger brethren. i am glad to hear overall quality and satisfaction has not sufered and it certainly looks quality.

there were rumors that all if can do in a small pacakge meant it was solid state assisted like the Blackstar amps.
- there are some forums where people are in debate fights over this. aparently, the response that the wiring on thsi amp is clever, and they receive all of the gain and performance out of quality circuitry - no solid state stuff. (particular point was only 2 preamp tubes).

blackstars however, are solid state assisted somewhere in the curcuit or something.

in the long run - if your getting 100% tube sounds, drive, dynamics, and harmonics, then its good enough for me.

Question richardpalmer: how does it perform on 1 watt and 5 watt modes?
Quote by CodeMonk

That pretty much says it all at this point...
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Quote by ikey_
wow. your setup is my ideal pretty much.

that is great to hear. this would definitely be my first choice for a new amp, only downside is i use reverb A LOT (so new amp day comes with new pedal day for me?)

i heard this amp is made in china or somoething to account for the lesser cost compared to its larger brethren. i am glad to hear overall quality and satisfaction has not sufered and it certainly looks quality.

there were rumors that all if can do in a small pacakge meant it was solid state assisted like the Blackstar amps.
- there are some forums where people are in debate fights over this. aparently, the response that the wiring on thsi amp is clever, and they receive all of the gain and performance out of quality circuitry - no solid state stuff. (particular point was only 2 preamp tubes).

blackstars however, are solid state assisted somewhere in the curcuit or something.

in the long run - if your getting 100% tube sounds, drive, dynamics, and harmonics, then its good enough for me.

Question richardpalmer: how does it perform on 1 watt and 5 watt modes?

You know, it is made in China, which is probably how the cost is so low. My wife's family owns an electronics manufacturing facility (which is where I met her when I worked for them), so know a bit about the industry. I'm not particularly concerned about this being made overseas. Sure, it's not hand-wired with chassis mounted pots, chassis mounted tubes & chassis mounted jacks. But it's also not a hunk of junk. What I mean by that is the design is solid -- and would be manufactured the same way whether it was in Germany, China or the USA.

It sounds to me like everything is 100% tube UNTIL you use the boost. The gain you get from that is significant and must have some digital wizardry to accomplish. Not saying it's bad. I'm just saying it's pretty intense, which leads me to believe it's getting some help.

I played it on 1 & 5 watts last night and it did alright. Obviously you don't have near the headroom you'll want, but it worked well. I can see me using the 1 watt option a lot while just noodling around. But let there be no doubt, she likes to be uncorked at the 18 watt setting most -- at least from what I've heard so far...
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Really nice man. Looks great. Cab looks nice too.

Gracias!

I'm really happy this amp likes the Greenbacks. But I have a Carvin G212 loaded with V30 clones. I'm going to try it tonight and see how it sounds in comparison.

There's also a mod I've seen/heard of using 1 GB and 1 V30 that sounds absolutely amazing! I'd been planning on trying it myself but just haven't gotten around to it. I have less of a reason to do it now.
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
ooooh. yeah. a clip comparison would be awesome!

In the end I bet a Greenback/ V30 mixed cab will be the shiz

Avatar makes good cabs. Yours looks great. mine was kinda boring looking but it had a Celestion Classic Lead 80 and a G12H30.

sold it to gregs1020 to fund my Splawn 212 cab
Check out these clips a guy I know did. Facing the cabinets, left speakers are V30s, right are Greenbacks. When he mics each side you can hear the characteristic very well. But the center position is just amazing to my ears. YMMV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZyqI27vvFk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KbS1NUaP6I
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Last edited by richardlpalmer at Nov 3, 2011,
well if i was using 1 watt it would be for bedroom use so i would want great tube overdrive, harmonics, and response that is easy to manage. or, if put to a lower volume, still easy to get grit with humbuckers.
Quote by ikey_
well if i was using 1 watt it would be for bedroom use so i would want great tube overdrive, harmonics, and response that is easy to manage. or, if put to a lower volume, still easy to get grit with humbuckers.

Of course. But I'm just reviewing it realistically.

With 1 watt you're not going to get enough headroom. I don't think there is any physical way you can, actually.

Headroom is what gets you tight bottom end and definition, or clarity. And to get real headroom for guitar at gigging levels (even when mic'd) you really need 30+ watts. If you think of something like a Fender Twin Reverb, which is one of the best clean amps of all time, it's an 85 Watt 2x12 combo. It stays clean, tight, and defined because when you turn it up to a reasonable volume you aren't really pushing it that hard.

When you turn up a low wattage amp, the appeal for most people is that you get it to break up earlier in the volume range than a higher powered amp does, and you get more into power tube saturation and sag at a much earlier level. The disadvantage is that if you want clarity you can't really get it in those wattage settings at gig-able volume.

But I've recently found a couple amazing tiny amps that sound freakin' amazing for their size. You might think I'm joking at first, but listen and be amazed.

Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
I've been looking into a TubeMeister for my at-home amp. Do you think it could handle 80s metal (heavy metal moreso than thrash) or would it need a boost?
Quote by Seref
I've been looking into a TubeMeister for my at-home amp. Do you think it could handle 80s metal (heavy metal moreso than thrash) or would it need a boost?

Ironically, this is what I've mainly been playing through it so far. Without the boost it sounds fantastic! With the boost it's a bit much (but I'm going to try it with the gain reduced a bit tonight).
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
does it get to modern metal territory or not? may have a new low wattage metal amp on the market if it does.
mojostompboxes.com
Quote by richardlpalmer
Ironically, this is what I've mainly been playing through it so far. Without the boost it sounds fantastic! With the boost it's a bit much (but I'm going to try it with the gain reduced a bit tonight).

Sounds nice, definitely on my list then. It's been a pain finding a reasonable priced small amp that handles heavy metal and hard rock excellently without pedals.
Yeah, I mean I don't want to oversell the thing, you know what I mean? It's new to the market within the last few months and not a whole lot of people have them yet. More opinions will come out over the next few months, I'm sure.

I can say that I had a Carvin V3M and was super excited for what it could bring to the table, but the tone of that was just not to my liking (but clearly it is to an awful lot of people). It had waaaaaaay more gain than this H&K does but it also sounded fizzy/buzzy which isn't what I was interested in.

This TubeMeister is the opposite sort of sound. It's much more crisp -- but I don't want to give the impression it has the headroom of some monster 100W head.
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
HNAD mate, sounds like you found an amp that agrees with you. Congratz.

Sometimes I think that people should come out and state what they like or dislike about an amp in a review (like some of the opinions here) without going down the superlative route.

BTW, more pictures of the PRS Eagle?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Nov 7, 2011,
very nice

interesting that you think it's tube apart from the boost. I'd rather have no ss, but shenanigans you can turn off at least is better than nothing.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Nov 4, 2011,
NICE!

HNAD!

Welcome to the club
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
YES! I got one of these last week with the matching 1x12. I was blown away. Such a good sound. The cleans are much better than my Marshall. It's just such a good amp. I needed something smaller because a 50 watt Marshall halfstack isn't the best for bedroom use when I'm out of a band.

HNAD!
Quote by ragingkitty
HNAD mate, sounds like you found an amp that agrees with you. Congratz.

Sometimes I think that people should come out and state what they like or dislike about an amp in a review with going down the superlative route.

BTW, more pictures of the PRS Eagle?

Here you go -- she's my first RW necked guitar and so far I absolutely love it. The 53/10 pups are really amazing. I mean REALLY amazing. Just wish I was a better player.

Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Quote by Dave_Mc
very nice

interesting that you think it's tube apart from the boost. I'd rather have no ss, but shenanigans you can turn off at least is better than nothing.

Yeah, I mean it sounds good (but not quite as clean -- as you'd probably imagine), but I can't help but think it has some SS stuff going on. But like you, as long as I can control when it's on/off I'm alright with it.

There's a thread on thegearpage where someone talked to one of the engineers and he swears it's "all-tube". The problem is how that term can legally be used but has a different meaning to you and I...
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
YES! I got one of these last week with the matching 1x12. I was blown away. Such a good sound. The cleans are much better than my Marshall. It's just such a good amp. I needed something smaller because a 50 watt Marshall halfstack isn't the best for bedroom use when I'm out of a band.

HNAD!

Agreed! It doesn't have the brootz, but whatever. I think if it did it'd lose the nice crunch that it has. And that clean sounds like it'd take pedals very nicely...
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Quote by richardlpalmer
Agreed! It doesn't have the brootz, but whatever. I think if it did it'd lose the nice crunch that it has. And that clean sounds like it'd take pedals very nicely...

Yeah I shove a few pedals straight into the front and it works very well. The chorus sounds incredible with the cleans. It doesn't bother me it's not ultra high gain. The highest gain I play is Guns n Roses. And my Vintage Modern nails that.
Quote by richardlpalmer
Yeah, I mean it sounds good (but not quite as clean -- as you'd probably imagine), but I can't help but think it has some SS stuff going on. But like you, as long as I can control when it's on/off I'm alright with it.

There's a thread on thegearpage where someone talked to one of the engineers and he swears it's "all-tube". The problem is how that term can legally be used but has a different meaning to you and I...

Yeah I've heard people say too that h&k is claiming it's all-tube, but as you say, their definition of it and ours might be different
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hot dang, that's a schweet geetar! That's a lovely looking neck too.

Did you do a NGD on that PRS? I'd like to know what you think of it.

Also after all that time with the H&K, if I were to ask you to create a 30 second advert to sell the TubeMeister, what features and aspects would you sell or talk about?
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by Dave_Mc

Yeah I've heard people say too that h&k is claiming it's all-tube, but as you say, their definition of it and ours might be different

check blackstar, lol

I think UG doesn't have a H&K thread right?

we prolly have to open one soon, lol
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
hehe
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by ragingkitty
Hot dang, that's a schweet geetar! That's a lovely looking neck too.

Did you do a NGD on that PRS? I'd like to know what you think of it.

No, I never did a NGD on the MEQ. I just got it a few weeks ago, too! You think I should?

I absolutely love the RW neck. It's like butter, I swear! I have a CE-22 and love it as well, the maple neck has always been right up my alley. But a solid rosewood neck is something to behold.
Quote by ragingkitty
Also after all that time with the H&K, if I were to ask you to create a 30 second advert to sell the TubeMeister, what features and aspects would you sell or talk about?
I'll actually do a full review on it ASAP, but here's what I'd say about it so far.

The TubeMeister is the surprise lunchbox amp of the year. The clean channel is really remarkable in that it has such a warm, bell-like tone. The gain on this channel sounds VERY organic, crisp & crunchy. By simply rolling off the guitar volume you're right back into the chimey cleans zone -- even with the gain at high levels.

The gain channel is also very organic sounding. The "karang" is sharp, clear and crisp. There's very clear note distinction in chords, even at higher gain settings. And the tail is also very clear -- a feature/plus for me, a negative for those that want their notes to distort more rather than clean up at the end.

Both channels are very responsive to rolling the guitar volume on & off. I've forgotten I was on the gain channel just because it sounded clean, only to be very surprised when rolling on the volume into a big gain sound.

I wouldn't call this a "metal" amp out of the box. It will take pedals very well though, so that sound is easily within its reach. But out of the box this H&K will get you crunchy classic tones as well as modern gain. Oh, and it LOVES blues.

The boost will overdrive the gain channel significantly, which might be to others' liking. I personally appreciate the boost but so far have been plenty happy playing without (probably because I don't have the footswitch yet and don't feel like walking over to the head and pushing the button each time I want to use it.)

I've started using the Red Box and recording directly to my audio interface. Works like a champ! If you're a home-studio type of person, the emulated speaker is something you might really appreciate -- although it only has one emulated option. This feature is also very useful for those that would prefer to just record with it (there's no need for a cabinet, just headphones or studio monitors), which is rare for a head.

Things you get with the combo you don't with the head: A footswitch and reverb (neither of which I have used so can't comment on, as I have the head with a footswitch on order).

This amp, out of the box, does not produce the brootz metalheads desire (me being one of them). But it can do pretty much every type of gain up to that point competently. And if you're looking for super nice cleans with an old-school gain breakup, this amp very much delivers.

Like I said, I'll do a more full review sometime soon to cover much more than this little one. I'm not one to praise something completely -- and I won't on this amp either. It has its shortcomings but so far during our honeymoon period, I'm in love.

To make a frame of reference, I'm a big Blackstar fan (although I've only used the HT line, not their upper end stuff). This amp does not achieve the gain level of Blackstar, but sounds more organic to my ears...
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Last edited by richardlpalmer at Nov 8, 2011,
Quote by Tunder250
check blackstar, lol

I think UG doesn't have a H&K thread right?

we prolly have to open one soon, lol

If I'm correct, this amp was launched in EU in the spring/summer and was just released in the US a couple months ago, right?
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
HNAD! Thanks for the review also. I'm on the verge of buying one of these myself.
Quote by richardlpalmer
If I'm correct, this amp was launched in EU in the spring/summer and was just released in the US a couple months ago, right?

I know, i had my eyes on it not too long ago...

the review was longer than 30 seconds, lol xD

I hope you enjoy it
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
Quote by richardlpalmer
No, I never did a NGD on the MEQ. I just got it a few weeks ago, too! You think I should?

I absolutely love the RW neck. It's like butter, I swear! I have a CE-22 and love it as well, the maple neck has always been right up my alley. But a solid rosewood neck is something to behold.

You're seriously asking me this?

Of course you should. Everyone loves a PRS NGD. Anyone who tells you different will get flamed to hell by the regulars.

How's the rosewood neck compared to your maple neck? I've got a Custom 24, and its my favourite guitar by far.

My NGD: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1469792&page=1&pp=20

Now I'm seriously considering a 513 maple top.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Page 1 of 2