Page 1 of 2
nomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnom!

nomnomnomnomnomnomnom!

nomnomnom, nomnomnomnom!

nomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnom
nomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomn!nomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomn!

nomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnom!
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Translation:
NGD day today, woke up to find a brand spanking new pedal and camera!

Strymon El Capistan, courtesy of our very own Yianni (NakedInTheRain)!

Not really gear but, a Sony HDR-CX130E HD Video Camera!

First off, I used to use a Boss DD-20 and that was far too much, so I was looking to down grade. So I sold 3 of my pedals to afford this, and Yianni was such a champ waiting 20 days for me to receive funds for it! You rule mate!
The El Cap is exactly what I was looking for in a delay - echo, modulation, sound on sound. Yum. It has 3 tape heads, Fixed, Multi and Single with three modes A, B and C. Each provide different types of delays, speeds, feedbacks, reverbs and i'm sure alot more (there's just alot to get through!). Tap tempo makes life easier especially since it's a nice big switch (which we all love) Overall very, very happy and this'll be a keeper. Doesn't look like it'll die on me, it's built pretty solid.
Next is the camera, currently it's still charging but had a bit of a go and the picture is just...wow. The quality of the video is too beautiful for words. The zoom function is stunning with a 42x optical zoom, as clear zoomed in and it is zoomed out. Really stunning. Shooting some videos soon of the el cap and some toyroom pedals (keep on the look out for them)

Overall, very very happy and a nice way to end highschool!
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
Meh, better than your last NAD though.
Caparison Angelus HGS, EMG 85/85 18V | Krank Rev1, JJ's | Mesa Recto Cab | Maxon OD808
Quote by mulefish
Demanding clips. I'm gas'ing for one of them so much right now

Going out tonight, but will probably do some tomorrow
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by Twidler
How does it compare to the akai headrush e2? That's my question.

The Akai what what?
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
^**** the Akai. El Cap FTW.

Hnpd.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by bluestratplayer
^**** the Akai. El Cap FTW.

Hnpd.

You what what?
At first I was like, this thread is going to get closed too........

Then I was like oh. Awesome.

HNGD!
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Three heads? Are you saying there's actually a real tape in there?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Twidler
How does it compare to the akai headrush e2? That's my question.

No comparison.
Quote by Cathbard
Three heads? Are you saying there's actually a real tape in there?

I can't begin to imagine how an actual tape delay with tap tempo could work.
RIP Gooze

cats
That would be nuts! After like 5 taps I'm sure the head would just fly off hahaha
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
You could control it with a micro controller. The taps set the clock speed which then sets the motor speed instead of a digital potentiometer. Not very complicated at all. Of course, the speed would ramp up and down. It wouldn't be an instantaneous change like with a digital pedal.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
You could control it with a micro controller. The taps set the clock speed which then sets the motor speed instead of a digital potentiometer. Not very complicated at all. Of course, the speed would ramp up and down. It wouldn't be an instantaneous change like with a digital pedal.

Que?
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Tap changes the state from high to low (binary, as in 1s and 0s). The speed at which it changes is the clock frequency. This is then fed to a micro controller (logic gates that can be configured via a programming language such as C, C++, C#, etc). The program is written so that this clock frequency is directly translated such that it changes the value of a digital potentiometer (basically a knob that's controlled via digital signals) to correspond to the correct value needed for the delay time tapped in.

Should you want to use this in a tape delay, you'd have to reconfigure the micro controller so that the signal it outputs with the clock input relates to a particular motor speed, which controls the length of the delay. Of course it'd take some testing and trial and error but it's very doable. The most complicated parts would be the programming (piece of cake for anyone with basic experience) and designing the power supply so that you can get the +24V that most tape circuits use (or several hundred volts if it's a tube tape delay) and the regulated +5V for the digital chips.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

For once, I'm serial with my near gear day.

Clips tomorrow.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by mmolteratx

Are tape delay speeds really only controlled via motor speed?
RIP Gooze

cats
Yeah it's actual tape lol. the speed of the tape = how fast the motor makes the tape go...right?
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by InanezGuitars44
Yeah it's actual tape lol. the speed of the tape = how fast the motor makes the tape go...right?

Hey, I'm a massive noob when it comes to old analog things
I assumed that changing the speed would cause problems with pitch.
Therefor, the logical way to get around it would be to change the distance between the two reels
RIP Gooze

cats
A tape delay works by recording what you play on a cross section of tape at the write/record head. It's played back when that cross section reaches the play head. Then erased at the erase head. Repeat. The whole process is driven by a small motor that moves the tape along. The speed of the motor determines the speed of the play back (which is why if you play something, then speed up the motor, the pitch it plays back is higher). It's almost barbaric but for some reason people see them as really intimidating.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by ECistheBest
el cap is amazing. it just is.

I'm going to make that the text under my avatar
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by mulefish
Therefor, the logical way to get around it would be to change the distance between the two reels

once it finishes one revolution, it rewrites the delay with new delay, with the faster speed.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by mulefish

Some do that too. I'm referring to the fixed head method employed in the Echoplex.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

It didn't fit.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by greeny23
how do you change the tapes of the El Capistan?

You open it up and stick a new piece of tape to the board when the old one is dirty. Scotch brand is preferred.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mulefish
The more you know.