Page 1 of 2
Today, one of my profs told me about a lecture he attended a few years back. Some guy who argued that women should NOT be paid more than men based on the work men, as a whole, do. It was called the Social Dividend, or something Dividend. His argument basically went like this:

Men do a lot more difficult jobs. There are exceptions, but for the most part it is men doing jobs like waste disposal. Men, mostly, deal with nuclear materials, heavy lifting, and the majority of the military is men. Most major CEOs are men; most great scientists are men. So on and so forth. Women should get equal pay when they have equal contributions to society.

It was a longer lecture, but the basic elements of his argument is what I posted. I could kind of see what he was getting at, but I don't know if I would entirely agree with it.

Thoughts?
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Last edited by Colgate Total at Nov 3, 2011,
Dude, black people are using up all our tax dollars by being in jails. We should pay black people less cause they are costing us a fortune.
Your pay should be determined by the job you are doing not whether your are male or female.
Quote by Colgate Total
Some guy who argued that women should be paid more than men based on the work men, as a whole, do.

Wait, what? I'm confused.

I don't see why a woman can't be a scientist or a CEO, and should be paid accordingly.
If a man and a woman do the same job for the same length of time, I see no reason to pay them differently.
Quote by So-Cal
Your pay should be determined by the job you are doing not whether your are male or female.

Pretty much this

/thread
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Steam/XBL Gamertag: Ostinattos

Why not Zoidberg?

Note: Every time someone posts <3 all I see is testicles with a party hat.
Quote by devourke
inb4 Due 07

yerp
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
I think women should be paid less just to piss off the feminists, other than that I see no reason why anyone would do it.

Also that argument is really dumb.
That argument about the glass ceiling being due to less contribution is stupid. Women in CEO positions get paid much less than men in equivalent positions. Justify that?

As well, many positions are not even offered to women because they are seen as "inadequate". There has always been a barrier to entry for women in a lot of jobs.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Pretty stupid, yeah.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by So-Cal

Indeed.

as such, /thread
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Dude, I think your prof meant that women were being paid on average less for work being not done in the same proffession. There are very few people in a capitalist system, who would argue that a Mcdonalds fryer should be paid as much as a lawyer.

This issue is that the average female proffessional is being paid less than a man in an equal position.

Their are many reasons for this however, womens' careers are set back by pregnancy and time off work required for that, as well many women leave work to help raise their children. When they return to work, they are years less in experience than men and are handicapped by this. They return at an equal or lower level than they left and the men have otherwise climbed the corporate ladder.

Other reasons is that Womens home lives are often more work based than men, in a culture that is just leaving a sexist time, women still bear the brunt of household chores. This is a stress that can hold them back in productivity at work
I don't understand why an individual's pay should be based on their sex, or any other characteristic outside of one's control, such as race. Shouldn't it be based on what they have done themselves as an individual? Did they earn the salary that they get? Do they deserve it? Etc.

If, by that logic, men should be paid a higher salary because of the contributions they have given to society, then they should also compensate for the fact that the majority of people in prison are males, and that more men commit crimes than women. Would you say men should be given harsher sentences because of that then?
Quote by zincabopataurio
I don't understand why an individual's pay should be based on their sex, or any other characteristic outside of one's control, such as race. Shouldn't it be based on what they have done themselves as an individual? Did they earn the salary that they get? Do they deserve it? Etc.

If, by that logic, men should be paid a higher salary because of the contributions they have given to society, then they should also compensate for the fact that the majority of people in prison are males, and that more men commit crimes than women. Would you say men should be given harsher sentences because of that then?

Isn't that already the case?
Quote by zincabopataurio

I wouldn't and I don't think that guy would either.
Depends where you are, and what you do. Out of high school I lucked out, landed a job with my girlfriend's uncle at his print shop, running a printing press for $30k/yr. My girlfriend who spent 3 years working a minimum wage job at McDonald's, capping at around $10k/yr ended up graduating a year after me, and landed a job at a sports medicine office making $30k/yr for 100x easier work, easier hours, and less hours. While her hardest part of the day was deciding to eat at Olive Garden or Panera for lunch, mine was having to get out of bed even though my back would feel like it was going to explode. On average, I see where this topic comes from, but it completely depends.
It's kinda hard to do an "equal contribution to society" (whatever the hell that is) when society has made women second class citizens for thousands of years.

That's one of many things wrong with that argument.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
If two people have the same position and are doing the same amount/quality of work, they should receive the same salary regardless of gender.
cat
that's blatant sexism, and i think that, in many many circles, sexism is generally viewed as a bad thing.

...??
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
I agree that they should be getting paid equal.

I prefer to watch fundementals on the court...none of that strengthy, high speed dunkfest you find in the NBA.

and those NBA players demand moar money...fucking joke.
yo.

I BELIEVE
I was expecting to see the quote.

"a womens work is never done................................maybe that is why they get paid less?
Thor! Odin's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Your destiny awaits Thor! Hlödyn's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Ragnarök awaits

E-ARCH NEMESIS of girlgerms007
Quote by guitarxo
If two people have the same position and are doing the same amount/quality of work, they should receive the same salary regardless of gender.

This guy is saying that men are doing harder work though. I don't remember if he said anything about men being paid more for doing the same job as a woman.
I don't get it.

A woman in a 'man's' job should get paid less because all her sissy, vagina-having brethren are in sissy vagina jobs?
Quote by devourke
This guy is saying that men are doing harder work though. I don't remember if he said anything about men being paid more for doing the same job as a woman.

Well, yeah, if someone does a harder job then they should be paid more. But it doesn't mean that all men in general should be paid more, which is what I think the guy said.
cat
Quote by Colgate Total
Today, one of my profs told me about a lecture he attended a few years back. Some guy who argued that women should NOT be paid more than men based on the work men, as a whole, do. It was called the Social Dividend, or something Dividend. His argument basically went like this:

Men do a lot more difficult jobs. There are exceptions, but for the most part it is men doing jobs like waste disposal. Men, mostly, deal with nuclear materials, heavy lifting, and the majority of the military is men. Most major CEOs are men; most great scientists are men. So on and so forth. Women should get equal pay when they have equal contributions to society.

It was a longer lecture, but the basic elements of his argument is what I posted. I could kind of see what he was getting at, but I don't know if I would entirely agree with it.

Thoughts?

Gender divides keep women from being able to make 'equal contributions'; regardless, there's an overarching trend where many women are paid less than men for equal work in the same positions.

/thread
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Quote by Colgate Total

The argument that lecture was posing is a fallacy. The reason men do more 'difficult' jobs is that historically women have been excluded from them. A long history of gender division has caused the most prestigious jobs of society to be occupied by men because women were not afforded the same opportunity in status.
Quote by devourke
inb4 Due 07

I think this is the first time I've ever been inb4'd.

Quote by due 07
I think this is the first time I've ever been inb4'd.

(Invalid img)

You're like a feminist Zoot
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
I think women should be paid less just to piss off the feminists, other than that I see no reason why anyone would do it.

Also that argument is really dumb.

This.
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
Quote by Colgate Total

Thoughts?

The guy was probably recently dumped at the time, or had his junk laughed at. He was just venting inane stupidity that's only backed by some faint illusion of fuzzy logic. What a goober.
SGT. HARTMAN: Where in hell are you from anyway, Private?
COWBOY: Sir, Texas, sir!
SGT. HARTMAN: Holy dogshit! Texas! Only steers and queers come from Texas, Private Cowboy! And you don't look much like a steer to me, so that kinda narrows it down!! Do you suck dicks!?
COWBOY: Sir, no, sir!
SGT. HARTMAN: Are you a peter-puffer!?
COWBOY: Sir, no, sir!
SGT. HARTMAN: I'll bet you're the kind of guy that would fuck a person in the ass and not even have the goddamn common courtesy to give him a reach-around! I'll be watching you!!
Quote by Colgate Total

No reason a penis would deserve more money for those than a vajayjay.

I think we need to stop grouping and stereotyping people. Just because some men do great things doesn't mean all men are destined to do great things... in fact, if you go outside for 5 minutes you'll see that most men (and women) are lazy assholes who won't amount to jack shit.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Last edited by rgrockr at Nov 3, 2011,
Obviously men should be paid more.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
I'm having a problem finding where I heard this, but I remember watching something with lots of pretty charts that compared incomes. It showed that men, generally, go into much more stable and financially rewarding jobs, while women don't. They actually did some number crunching and found that, in identical situations, women actually made something like 96-98% of a man's salary.

If I can't find where I found this then just ignore me, because I really can't remember the source, at all.
Quote by rgrockr
No reason a penis would deserve more money for those than a vajayjay.

I think we need to stop grouping and stereotyping people. Just because some men do great things doesn't mean all men are destined to do great things... in fact, if you go outside for 5 minutes you'll see that most men (and women) are lazy assholes who won't amount to jack shit.

Nah, I prefer to stereotype thank you. I don't care if a generalisation gets proven otherwise, it's just a safe method to have.
yo.

I BELIEVE
Page 1 of 2