Hey all.

I'm looking for a nice OD pedal to put in the front of my chain to boost my amp gain and get a tighter sound. Currently I only own a Boss ME-50 and I use the "scream" (modeled from an Ibanez tube screamer) setting to boost, but with money starting to flow I will eventually be on the market to build up a nice pedal board.

I would like to get my hands on a Tube Screamer but I'm not sure of the difference between the TS9 and the TS808. And now the reissues include a TS808HW hand wired version. Are the reissues all they are cracked up to be or would it be more worthwhile to pick up an original?

I've also heard good things about the:

* Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive which as I understand shares a very similar circuit to the TS.

* Visual Sound Route 808 which is a nice TS808 clone.

* Boss OD-3 Overdrive which I understand has a nice, unique natural tone to it.

Please discuss
if you're using it just to boost your amp, any old tubescreamer will do. you'd want one that preferably cuts bass, though.

the SD-1 has an assymetrical clipping circuit, which is a lot grainer than the tubescreamer.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
if you're using it just to boost your amp, any old tubescreamer will do. you'd want one that preferably cuts bass, though.

the SD-1 has an assymetrical clipping circuit, which is a lot grainer than the tubescreamer.

So you're saying that using the original or reissue won't make a difference in tone coloration or boost quality, and the SD-1 is unsuitable for a boost?
If anything, the SD-1 makes a better boost then the Tuberscreamer. I had an sd-1 before my Tubescreamer and regret getting ride of it. The tubscreamer is a good standalone overdrive pedal, but the sd-1 has better boosting properties. The sd-1 adds about the same amount of gain, but also cuts out some of the low end making a tighter sound. It really depends in what your looking at in an overdrive pedal. I would suggest taking a look at the Xotic AC Booster.

edit: I forgot to mention I hate how the tubecreamer colors tone.
Last edited by Ghold125 at Nov 3, 2011,
Just as some suggestions check out the Signa Drive by CMATMODS it's the overdrive I am looking at getting in the very near future. Very transparent and great as a boost. It is based off of the TS-808 and uses the RC4558P which was one of the op amp chips the TS808's came with (among the other two variations).

Another great one which I also recommend is Gearmanndude's Luther Drive. This is also modelled off of the TS-808. This uses the JRC4558D which was the main op amp chip that the TS-808's shipped with. It has a bit more bottom end and is also very transparent and great as a boost.

If you want to know the differences between the various Tube Screamer that Ibanez produced then check out this link http://www.analogman.com/tshist.htm and also both pedals I listed are afaik cheaper then a brand new TS-808 re-issue and the Visual Sound Route 808 you listed.
Quote by ibanart300
Just as some suggestions check out the Signa Drive by CMATMODS it's the overdrive I am looking at getting in the very near future. Very transparent and great as a boost. It is based off of the TS-808 and uses the RC4558P which was one of the op amp chips the TS808's came with (among the other two variations).

Another great one which I also recommend is Gearmanndude's Luther Drive. This is also modelled off of the TS-808. This uses the JRC4558D which was the main op amp chip that the TS-808's shipped with. It has a bit more bottom end and is also very transparent and great as a boost.

If you want to know the differences between the various Tube Screamer that Ibanez produced then check out this link http://www.analogman.com/tshist.htm and also both pedals I listed are afaik cheaper then a brand new TS-808 re-issue and the Visual Sound Route 808 you listed.

Pedals such as the ones you have listed may be hard to get hold of over here in New Zealand and shipping prices can become a problem. Definitely not putting them aside though it's great to know what's out there.

Thank you for the link to analogman's site too! Learning a lot just from reading it.

The two I'm focused on currently are the BOSS SD-1 and the Ibanez TS808 (probably re-issue).

Another one I have come across is the Maxon OD808 Reissue, but I'm not sure on pricing or quality compared to the other two.
Quote by HeadlessCross
Pedals such as the ones you have listed may be hard to get hold of over here in New Zealand and shipping prices can become a problem. Definitely not putting them aside though it's great to know what's out there.

Thank you for the link to analogman's site too! Learning a lot just from reading it.

The two I'm focused on currently are the BOSS SD-1 and the Ibanez TS808 (probably re-issue).

Another one I have come across is the Maxon OD808 Reissue, but I'm not sure on pricing or quality compared to the other two.

whats your exact budget including shipping? you can get good deals online used i fyou look hard enough.
mojostompboxes.com
Quote by HeadlessCross

Maxon made the original tubescreamers for ibanez. So they are good.

However if you are using it as a just a boost I think the OD808/TS808 are overkill. The ibanez TS9 is very similar.
Clones to look at:
Digitech bad monkey - Was insanely popular a year or two ago. Works well as a boost on the cheap.
Visual sound route 808 is a clone that I like.
Way huge green rhino is gaining popularity on this forum too. It's probably my favorite.
RIP Gooze

cats
Boss SD-1 for pure boosting.
Digitech Bad Monkey is somewhat of the same style and it has a bass and treble knob.
Ibanez TS-9 cuts bass and has the midhump. This is good for boosting to get a tighter sound.
Maxon OD808 is good if you want to spend some money.
Also look at the BBE Green Screamer which is another tubescreamer variant.

That's the sort of sound you want for boosting. A more transparent midrange is okay, but if the overdrive pedal is very bassy, the boost will make your tone more woofy and flubby.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Quote by HeadlessCross

Yeah the Analogman site is awesome. As for the cost of the Signa Drive and Luther Drive you will find that they don't really use physical shops for distribution most of their pedals are sold online and generally shopping online you will always find it cheaper.

EDIT: I'll be in NZ next week :-)
Last edited by ibanart300 at Nov 4, 2011,
i like my ZW overdrive. it adds a really nice character
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED