Page 1 of 3
Electric Guitar forum regulars will know what I'm talking about here.

In threads and discussions about tone, and how to change it, many people claim that your tone comes from your fingers and your technique above all else.

Some even prove the point with statistic, no doubt taken from respected scientific journals;

Quote by lucky1978
I'd say
30%-technique
30%-amp
18.3%-pups
15%-guitar(mine "chimes", even unplugged, try to get your plywood guitar to chime)
5.7%-pedals
1%-mood

And if your mojo works with a stock Ibanez Gio, a derilectro pedal and a Behringer amp, fu(k it, rock that syit!

ps the last 6.7% is actually interchangeable, depending on home, practice, gig...and mood

Quote by Butt Rayge
Actually, I think it's more like;

60% Idiocy
20% Naivety
10% Herp
10% Derp

100% bullshit.

There's always one idiot making up bullshit statistics.

How many buffoons are there in the pit who think that all of the tone from your guitar comes from your fingers? You know, as if you have to go to the guitar shop and buy a new hand if you want a different tone...

How many of you are right and know that it mostly comes from your amp, and then your pickups, wood, strings, pick attack, etc?
Last edited by Butt Rayge at Nov 3, 2011,
Okay so
30% anger
20% frustration
10% snark
40% blog post
----------------------
100% OP

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

How random lol. Well I'm on the side of the amp/guitar combination and the feeling coming through your fingers, through the guitar, through the amp and into the earhole of the listener.
Doesn't most of your tone come from your amp? Sure, how you play the guitar affects the tone, but to say that all or most of your tone come from your fingers is stupid.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
I will agree with them, in that the tiny nuances in the way you finger (lulz) the strings and/or pluck them (playing fingerstyle, for example) affect your tone.

However, it's bullshit that the tone you get now is the tone you'll have forever because of "DEM FEELZ" in your fingers, and your fingers alone. As if no 2 guitarists in the entire world could ever replicate each others tones absolutely perfectly, because ITS ALL IN THE FINGERS MAN

DEM FINGERS
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Quote by SteveHouse
Okay so
30% anger
20% frustration
10% snark
40% blog post
----------------------
100% OP

100% doin it rite
#DTWD
Quote by devourke
I think if you had no fingers you might be shit at catching a ball

My dog proves otherwise.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Its not all in one thing. I believe playing is most of it. Your amp allows your guitar tone to be heard.
I have a stock Gio and an MG amp, but if I think my technique is decent enough to make it sound alright. At least on clean channel... overdrive never sounds good.
Quote by ErikLensherr
My dog proves otherwise.

Bro. Dogs are way better than people at everything.

We don't even compare.
Quote by devourke
Bro. Dogs are way better than people at everything.

We don't even compare.

Oh yeah? Let's see a dog write his name in the snow

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

I am the 99% and what is this
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Quote by 'Leviathan'
I have a stock Gio and an MG amp, but if I think my technique is decent enough to make it sound alright. At least on clean channel... overdrive never sounds good.

Anybody who's good enough can play a shit guitar through a shit amp and make it sound good, but they can't make the tone any better through their technique alone.

Two people of equal skill playing the same song, note for note, through the same rig, with the same guitar and amp settings will sound pretty much the same. The only likely difference would be if one of them was picking closer to the bridge, and one was picking closer to the neck. Even then, I wouldn't attribute the tonal difference to their fingers, because they'd be playing the song differently.
you could be playing all of Jimi Hendrix's gear and sound nothing like him.

That's the point, gear alone wont make you sound good. it is necessary, definitely, but the way you play is a huge contributing factor not to be underestimated.
---
Quote by Robfreitag

That's the point, gear alone wont make you sound good. it is necessary, definitely, but the way you play is a huge contributing factor not to be underestimated.

That really isn't the point though.

I said the tone isn't 'in the fingers.' I didn't say the technique isn't, I didn't say the style isn't, I said the tone isn't.
I suppose a finger with a strong callus might give a slightly different tone than one that's soft and flabby, but other than that, I can't think of how your fingers could affect the tone.

I call bullshit on that theory

Quote by Robfreitag

You missed the point entirely.
Last edited by JetPackBlues at Nov 3, 2011,
In a way it's just acknowledging that great players are great because of the subtle aspects of their playing, the bits that can't be easily communicated by tab. It's not about tone exactly - although that is a part of it - it's about feel.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
Holy Crap.

I love you more than life itself.
50.00% herp derp
25.00% herp derp
12.50% herp derp
6.25% herp derp
3.13% herp derp
1.56% herp derp
0.78% herp derp
0.39% herp derp
0.20% herp derp
0.10% herp derp
0.05% herp derp
0.02% herp derp
0.01% herp derp
0.01% herp derp
--------------------------
100% herp derp
I feel the mood has a lot to do with how I play. But Amp/Effects/Guitar have a way more amount to do with my "tone"

Edit: But dem fingers change the tone knobs!
The definition of tone is probably throwing people off, so il avoid tone and give my opinion....again lol

We all know you can pick up a $1000 guitar and automatically sound better. But you can always tell what sound is coming from the player and what comes from the gear. I am an average guitarist, my chops arent great, but im good at playing whats in my head, i play multiple instruments. In my case, if i were to plug my amazing strat into an amazing amp, id probably sound really good. If i were to play an ibanez starter guitar thru a shitty amp, i wouldnt sound too bad, it would just sound like i was playing with shit gear.
i dont know where im going with this anymore, i had an idea but i lost it....
Well, I've been doing some thinking about this, and in some ways tone is in the fingers because guitars/amps/whatever react to how you play the notes. But other than that it's a pretty silly claim.
10% luck
20% skill
15% concentrated power of will
5% pleasure
50% pain
I would say it is significantly more applicable to acoustic guitar than electric guitar. Much greater possibility of tonal control with finger placement, dynamics, material, etc.
My God, it's full of stars!
I'm almost 100% sure you're taking this literally when that's not really the intention.

Quote by devourke
50% Heads
50% Tails
_________
100% Chance of you dropping the catch

Pfft, I have safer hands than Jacob Oram
I want to read your essays and blogs of the artistic nature!

Art evokes the mystery without which the world would not exist.

- Rene Magritte
Last edited by mike_anderson25 at Nov 3, 2011,
Eddie Van Halen called and said that you are a ****ing idiot.

oh, and Paul Gilbert too.
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
Quote by mickmos1
50.00% herp derp
25.00% herp derp
12.50% herp derp
6.25% herp derp
3.13% herp derp
1.56% herp derp
0.78% herp derp
0.39% herp derp
0.20% herp derp
0.10% herp derp
0.05% herp derp
0.02% herp derp
0.01% herp derp
0.01% herp derp
100% herp derp

Must...resist...

Counting...
Assuming we aren't talking about playing fingerstyle I completely agree with the OP.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
pah. pick up a klon, and your tone is:

100% awesome.

I used to respect you guys from the pedal board thread. Now all you do is talk about klons and troll
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by mulefish
Assuming we aren't talking about playing fingerstyle I completely agree with the OP.

I used to respect you guys from the pedal board thread. Now all you do is talk about klons and troll

Crowther Hot Cake > Klon
I want to read your essays and blogs of the artistic nature!

Art evokes the mystery without which the world would not exist.

- Rene Magritte
Quote by mickmos1
50.00% herp derp
25.00% herp derp
12.50% herp derp
6.25% herp derp
3.13% herp derp
1.56% herp derp
0.78% herp derp
0.39% herp derp
0.20% herp derp
0.10% herp derp
0.05% herp derp
0.02% herp derp
0.01% herp derp
0.01% herp derp
100% herp derp
You're alright mickmos, you're alright...
Page 1 of 3