This probably belongs somewhere, but yeah I'm new here.

I'm young and wanting to organize local gigs in my area. I've got what I need to do and everything with the booking bands, venue, making sure someone can bring gear for people, hiring staff etc. I'm just confused about how payments would work and how the venue's hiring fees would be payed off and all that.

At the moment I assume that I will pay for about 15% of the hire fees and the bands would split the rest of the costs, and we'd split the profits from the end of the night in the same way. But that seems kinda shit, bands probably wouldn't want to be made to spend money, but I wouldn't have the money to pay for everything myself and I still need to make something aswell.

Does anyone with experience in event management have any information they could share with me? I'd greatly appreciate it, and I'll even give you a free show (if you happen to live in South Australia) Also thanks for reading (:
I pay my employees with cheese TS, maybe you shoud do that.
Thor! Odin's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Your destiny awaits Thor! Hlödyn's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Ragnarök awaits

E-ARCH NEMESIS of girlgerms007
Funny, guys, but can we just be mature adults here for a sec. I'm just asking a simple question which I can't find on other places, and I was hoping that the wonderful, helpful community of UG could help me. This is like the only thing I haven't found.

I wish I was an adbot, chilling being all successful.
Quote by IDKIDC
Funny, guys, but can we just be mature adults here for a sec. I'm just asking a simple question which I can't find on other places, and I was hoping that the wonderful, helpful community of UG could help me. This is like the only thing I haven't found.

I wish I was an adbot, chilling being all successful.

When people joke about, its cause they have no clue, but they at least do you the favor of bumping the thread so someone who can actually help sees it.

So chill
Not getting angry or anything, I appreciate the attention. I'm a raging smartass myself so I don't really mind that much XD
Quote by IDKIDC
Funny, guys, but can we just be mature adults here for a sec. ......... and I was hoping that the wonderful, helpful community of UG could help me.

ggg1 ggg3

mature adults.............. I think you made a wrong turn somewhere mate
Sergio 'Checo' Perez 2013 Formula One World Drivers Champion
Quote by behind_you

I got flamed for posting that image
I'm not a James Hetfield fan
My username is "hames jetfield" because "farty mriedman" sounds weird.

Quote by laid-to-waste
i have rabies from licking my pet rat's face

Jackson DK2M
Digitech RP255
Vox DA5
Casio CTK-6000
Quote by hames jetfield
I got flamed for posting that image

There there bro

Why'd you get flamed?
ggg1 ggg3

Basicaly, you are taking the role of a promoter.

All the bills are generaly considered to be the promoter's responsibilty, so it involves a certain amount of risk. The hard part of the job is trying to ensure that you will get enough money through the door to be able to pay all the hire fees, staff and bands and still leave some profit left for yourself, it involves a LOT of actual promoting and advertising, but hey, if it was easy, everyone would be doing it.

Many professional promoters would ensure that they already had the cash to pay the bills before even booking the room, then take the gamble on whether they lose that money or make profit based on how good they are at their job.
No band is gonna pay to play. Most of the bands will want to get payed to play. <sarcasm> Yeah, who would've imagined, right? </sarcasm>

People usually organize gigs to make money, not to spend money. <sarcasm> Yeah, who would've imagined, right? </sarcasm>

Sell drinks, put entry fees, sell something....anything.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Quote by WantsLesPaul

Here you go. You better not do anything dirty with it

Ah, I see Morph's here to help.
Thanks man (: Sounds like difficulty, D; so I'd end up paying for everything, then what happens with the door money, does it pay off the enue hire first then what's left over get split between the bands and myself?

I'm going to like it here. ;D
One way of getting bands paid is have them sell tickets, and then let them keep 1/4 of each ticket sale or something. This way they're motivated to sell as many tickets as they can, because they get the money from it. And you get more people into the venue, meaning more people buying drinks etc.
Quote by IDKIDC
Thanks man (: Sounds like difficulty, D; so I'd end up paying for everything, then what happens with the door money, does it pay off the enue hire first then what's left over get split between the bands and myself?

I'm going to like it here. ;D

If you've already got the money put to one side to pay for everything, including the bands, then the door money is all yours. Hopefully the door money will be more than what you've put to one side and you'll be making a profit.

Y'see, when you book a band for a gig, you'll generaly agree upon a price then. So you should really know how much your outlay will be beforehand.

Of course, there are venues and promoters that will offer door percentage deals or pay to play deals, but that imparts the risk upon the bands, which makes such venues and promoters unpopular among the better bands who can demand more money.
What you have to ask yourself is, how successful do you want to be in the long run? It's all about reputation, you need a good rep to attract the bands that will attract the biggest audiences that will make you the most profit, and that good reputation starts with being able to promise a band a set price for a set amount of work and being able to pay that promised price at the end of the night, even if you have to risk making a loss.
Bands love people like that, guys who will ensure that no matter what goes wrong, the bands and everyone else working in the venue will get paid, and bands talk to other bands... and punters too. You'll attract the best bands, who will have the biggest local followings of punters, who will fill your venue, which in turn creates an atmosphere that attracts even more punters on a regular basis, and pretty soon you will have built up a profitable little venture.
You're such a helpful person, thanks heaps (: Is there anything else important I should know?
Quote by IDKIDC
You're such a helpful person, thanks heaps (: Is there anything else important I should know?

Yeah, do the maths and get it right.

To figure out all your prices, start with the venue you have in mind and what it will cost to hire with staff included in the price, next you need to know how many people it will legaly hold.
Working on expecting about half to two thirds of that amount of people, figure out a reasonable ticket/door price, (make it too expensive and people will stay away, make it too cheap and you won't make any profit or be able to pay the better bands)

Extract the costs of advertising and promoting and your own (hoped for) profit and that leaves you with what you can reasonably afford to offer a band to play for you.

Don't be too greedy, remember, a band needs to split it's profit among several people, you only have yourself to worry about, so reckon on taking about 10-20% of the money that's left after the venue and advertising has been payed for.

If it doesn't seem on paper like there's much profit in it for either you or the band, you need to adjust your ticket/door price. But remember, it's a balancing act, make it too expensive and you are essentialy taking a bigger risk.