I read a couple of guitar magazines (Guitarist and Guitar Techniques) and they are full of licks, along with a CD of how they should sound.

Unfortunately most of the time I'm too lazt to listen to the CD, so I tend to just use my acoustic guitar to learn the notes of the lick and get it into some kind of reasonable shape, and then I'll listen to the CD to get it rhythmically and dynamically correct.

It seems to work, but sometimes I struggle with trying to make the notes sound good whilst I'm learning them, which means I don't bother. The hard part is making it sound rhythmically right just from the tab and notation.

How do you guys learn licks in magazines?
I play the lick my own way, phrasing wise that is.

EDIT: This is from magazines i mean. If it is a lick from an actual song or something like that i listen to it and then play it slowly so i get it right, then practice it at the max speed i can play it perfectly and from there increase the tempo.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Last edited by Sickz at Nov 3, 2011,
I don't know..it kinda came natural to me I guess...when they gave ma an ice cream I just licked it...seriously man...your title is kind of...you know what I mean.

Anyway...on topic stuff here:

I usually just listen to the lick in the song and then go slowly through it and when I have it down I try to play it with the song.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
I first memorize the lick to the best of my ability at no specific tempo.

Once memorized, i set it at a tempo i can play it perfectly.

If i notice any problem areas i will isolate those issues seperately to the metronome, then piece the lick back together until its right.
Quote by Kozlic
I don't know..it kinda came natural to me I guess...when they gave ma an ice cream I just licked it...seriously man...your title is kind of...you know what I mean

Right! Are they all like you in Slovenia. Others got it but you... well you know what I mean.
I will learn a new lick as slow as possible regardless of what it is. I set a metronome to 40bpm and just play it over and over again until its completely memorised. Once its completely memorised with good technique, i wouldn't have a problem increasing the speed two fold or three fold straight away
listen to it until you know how it's supposed to sound, then learn to play it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by deano_l
The hard part is making it sound rhythmically right just from the tab and notation.

Practice reading more notation. Break it down bar by bar, or if it's quite busy, half a bar at a time. Tap your foot so you have the sense of the underlying rhythmic pulse.

Sing the phrase first, you don't have to be in tune, but if you can sing the rhythm notation correctly, it'll be internalized, and then you'll be able to play it.