1. A multi fx pedal. In the input or fx loop?

2. Playing live. Do you use your amp and plug into the pa or plug your multi fx straight into the pa.

thanks
1. Depends, IMO. If you're only using the multi fx for delays and mods and such, in the effects loop. If you're using dirt or comp on the multi fx, it might work better in front (AKA into the amp input).
2. Once again, depends. Mostly on the venue. Assuming the venue has a PA system, I would recommend running the multi-effect into the amp, and then mic'ing the amp. However, if you like the amp modeling on the multi fx, and you have a good monitor, running the multi fx straight to the PA might be a good idea.

I could answer alot more specifically if you tell me this much.

1. What amp are you using?
2. What multi fx are you using?
3. What effects/sounds are you using the multi fx for?
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Using a Blackstar HT5c. Probably ok on its own for small gigs, it can be heard over a live drummer cranking it up to about 3 o clock so it could go a bit louder.

Would be using multi fx for distortion/overdrive but would also want a spot of delay and reverb, maybe chorus too

So do amps generally get mic'd then. Id have thought the line out would have been used and plugged into the PA???
I have one out front of the amp and another in the loop.

As that suggests, I always use the amp and stick a mike in front of the cab. I'm using old MFX units that don't have amp/cab simulators though.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Higher-end multi FX units (like the Digitech RP1000 which I use ) goes in both the amp input and FX loop. Lower-end ones (like the Zoom G2.1u which I used to use) will only go in 1. I'll tell you now, it's worth investing in one that will go in both.

And with live sound - a half-decent venue will mic up everything but don't expect to be playing them at first.
Last edited by Afroboy267 at Nov 3, 2011,
If the venue doesn't mike up the amp stick your own mike in front of the amp yourself and hand the lead to whoever is doing the sound and say "here's my guitar." No sound guy with more than half a brain will knock back the opportunity to have some control over the level of the guitar in the FOH mix.
You should always have your own mic, it's part of your rig.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by LivinJoke84
but why not just use the line out on an amp?

Because it sounds crap.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100