I currently have a Boss MT-2 and NS-2, and I'm looking to improve my tone; probably shape the tone itself or simply beef it up. For the moment, I have my eyes on MXR 10-band EQ and Ibanez TS9, but I'm not quite sure which of the two should be more useful and of better value, and if there were other options. So which (what) pedal should I get?

BWT I play mostly metal (ABR, Oh Sleeper, etc) but a more versatile pedal would be nice. I play in gigs with a variety of amps, although most of them are VS. So yeah.

Thanks
Got the same two pedals as you so I'll be following this with interest
I'm not saying not to trust the internet, but there's an alarming discrepancy between the number of iPads I've won & the number of iPads I own.
Quote by batiboy06
I currently have a Boss MT-2 and NS-2, and I'm looking to improve my tone; probably shape the tone itself or simply beef it up. For the moment, I have my eyes on MXR 10-band EQ and Ibanez TS9, but I'm not quite sure which of the two should be more useful and of better value, and if there were other options. So which (what) pedal should I get?

BWT I play mostly metal (ABR, Oh Sleeper, etc) but a more versatile pedal would be nice. I play in gigs with a variety of amps, although most of them are VS. So yeah.

Thanks

Just for kicks, what is your current amp? The tubescreamer isn't going to pair up very well with your MT2 if that is the source of your distortion. Of course the EQ will be more versatile and give you better tonal options.
replace your MT-2 with this.

http://www.barberelectronics.com/Dirty%20Bomb.html

tubescreamers are good for pushing tube amps into saturation, or boosting your lead channel for a tighter response with more midrange presence.

eqs help you shape your tone, like bass cut or mid boost or whatever. they work best in an effects loop.

but seriously dude, replace that MT-2 with the dirty bomb. you will thank me when you have a thick round distorted tone, as opposed to that thin can of buzzing bees tone.
Quote by Sputnik1
Just for kicks, what is your current amp? The tubescreamer isn't going to pair up very well with your MT2 if that is the source of your distortion. Of course the EQ will be more versatile and give you better tonal options.

I don't use my own amp in gigs, so I guess its irrelevant. Although, most amps I get a hold on to during gigs are valvestate amps (Peavey Bandit, Marshall JCM). And all of my distortion comes from my MT-2. Hope that helps.

Have you tried the TS9 and MT-2 side by side? Well, I haven't so I'm not sure what its gonna sound like. Yes, I also thought the EQ might be more versatile but I'm not so sure about it really helping me achieve my best possible tone. Do you?
Quote by NakedInTheRain
replace your MT-2 with this.

http://www.barberelectronics.com/Dirty%20Bomb.html

tubescreamers are good for pushing tube amps into saturation, or boosting your lead channel for a tighter response with more midrange presence.

eqs help you shape your tone, like bass cut or mid boost or whatever. they work best in an effects loop.

but seriously dude, replace that MT-2 with the dirty bomb. you will thank me when you have a thick round distorted tone, as opposed to that thin can of buzzing bees tone.

I actually considered replacing my MT-2 before, but I can't find pedals like those around here; I'm from Asia, BTW. I'm getting it modded instead. Do you think that would help?

So EQ then?
Quote by stykerwolf
Just get a good amp, you can find a 5150 in the US for really good prices

I'm pretty sure tube heads don't come in pedal-prices. I'm actually asking for a cheaper alternative to an expensive amp in a form a pedal or some sort of setup that don't come too pricey, and that should also help get the same tone out of my rig using a variety of amps (as mentioned, I don't bring my own amp on gigs).
Quote by stykerwolf
a good mod could help, but you're better off with a better amp and better pedal in general

I'm not yet financially stable. I am yet to save up for a better amp, which yes I guess should be a better investment. But for now, should I get the EQ?
Just save.

You're never gonna get to a point where you can afford an amp if you keep buying useless stuff to improve sub par tone, when you could just save and buy something half decent.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Why don't you save for an amp of your own to bring to gigs?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Stock, the MT-2 is GARBAGE.
I actually gave mine away to someone here.
Modded they might be ok.

The MXR 10 Band EQ is a great EQ IMO.
Get that instead.

And don't get the BBE Sonic Maximizer.
With a sub-par amp it may help you, with a good amp, it won't do shit.
Its basically an over priced 2 band EQ.
With my Vox AD30VT Valvetronix amp, it made a difference.
With my Vox AC30, it was useless.

Between the TS9 and the MXR 10 band, get the MXR. It has a gain slider on it so you get both an EQ and an overdrive in one pedal.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Nov 3, 2011,
Quote by LaidBack
Why don't you save for an amp of your own to bring to gigs?

Gigs in here run quite differently from there, I guess. Organizers of the prod usually are in charge of the amps, and these amps are those used by every band in the prod (that is unless one band needs another on; in that case the band should bring their own amp). Bringing your own amp in this kind of level (sorry for the lack of term, i don't quite have an idea how to put this) would be somehow unreasonable.

Quote by Eppicurt
Just save.

You're never gonna get to a point where you can afford an amp if you keep buying useless stuff to improve sub par tone, when you could just save and buy something half decent.

Well, that's exactly why I'm asking if its worth getting an EQ. It won't be useless if it would benefit even until I get my own amp.
Quote by badgerific
I found the BBE sonic maximiser is pretty cool for beefing distortion sounds. If you want a EQ check my thread. I have a MXR 10 band for sale.

I'm from Asia, bro

Quote by CodeMonk
Stock, the MT-2 is GARBAGE.
I actually gave mine away to someone here.
Modded they might be ok.

The MXR 10 Band EQ is a great EQ IMO.
Get that instead.

And don't get the BBE Sonic Maximizer.
With a sub-par amp it may help you, with a good amp, it won't do shit.
Its basically an over priced 2 band EQ.
With my Vox AD30VT Valvetronix amp, it made a difference.
With my Vox AC30, it was useless.

Between the TS9 and the MXR 10 band, get the MXR. It has a gain slider on it so you get both an EQ and an overdrive in one pedal.

Yes, yes and yes again. But is it worth it? Would it benefit me even if I get myself an amp?
Quote by batiboy06
I'm from Asia, bro

Yes, yes and yes again. But is it worth it? Would it benefit me even if I get myself an amp?

The MXR? Hell yes.
The best EQ for the money IMO.
Same goes for the TS9.
Both are good pedals.
Well it sounds like your show producers are fascists. Maybe look into a Line 6 POD? Just run amp sims into the mixer?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
It looks like you might want to look into modelling preamps, along the lines of a Line6 POD or Vox Tonelab. They can be plugged into an amp's loop to bypass the amp's own preamp, or plugged directly into a PA. A preamp would give you a more consistent tone from venue to venue if you're without your own amp.

Quote by batiboy06
valvestate

I think you're confused as to what that word means. Valvestate was a series of hybrid amps made by Marshall.
For your purposes i wouldnt bother with the 10 band. You dont seem to know much about amps (Not being condescending, just saying.), 10 extra bands of EQ is just gunna make the situation worse. Esp if you dont even have a gigging amp, all amps are gunna sound different and respond differently. So its not like you can just take it to a gig, plug and play and it'll sound awesome. You really need to research how EQs work...

+1 to ditching the MT2 for a Dirty Bomb. If the MT2 is soley where your distortion is coming from, then thats your problem. Fix the problem at the root, dont just go piling on more effects to cover it up.

+25 to anyone that said get a good amp...